Sign in to follow this  
Kevingweq

1967 Travelall More like it !!!

266/304 is NOT identical to the 345/392. the intake is taller on the 345/392. wider too if i remember. tomorrow ill take pictures of the 304 and 392 intake side by side. as i said it looks like a transplant engine. someone painted the valve covers blue. probably to match the truck. it still has screws in its valve covers not bolts. and the water tubes go into the block am i correct? if the water tubes go into the block and not the head its a 392 improved cooling. i cantsee the pictures well enough so i cant really help past that. other than to tell you that below the fuel pump is a casting block with the serial number and cubic inches stamped on it.

ive looked this over and over and just cant tell. the oil filler and screws in the valve covers suggest old 345/392 swap. but i cant see the damn water pipes and the only way to describe it is someone rednecked it. a farmer got ahold of it and did what they could to keep it on the road. old engine might have blown up. might be the original. who knows til you get it back. but that intake is cast iron. and 4bbl. so its either 345/392.

The 392 was not an option on the C series trucks. It was available on the D series in 1969. Eason

Yep the V266 and V304 have a lower deck block, so the intake is not the same.

With the higher deck of the V345 and V392, comes a wider manifold.

So it indeed could be higher; I have never had them side-by-side. BUT the higher deck makes the top of the block higher so the same man would appear higher even if it was just machined wider.

Since I never saw a 392 prior to 73, I am not sure of all the details, except that most/all had a small Holley 4 BL.

The later V345 4 BL was a carter plastic bodied spread bore carb, very much like a GM quardrajet. But I only saw it on a Scout in the early 70's

The 69 V304 and the 70 V345 both had 5/16 Phillips head screws holding down the tappet covers.

Also the oil filler is in the left tappet cover on either.

The engine pictured has the oil filler in the cam-cover so it is earlier than 69.

The AFB carb could be on a thin 2-4 adapter plate.

IMO the poster needs to look at the casting numbers to determine what it started out as.

Good luck on your projects.

Got the 67 Travelall back to the house today , Gave it a pretty good once over 345 cu in engine ,

after searching every nook and cranny I could poke into ,Very Happy to say there is no more

than a pound of rust in the whole truck and everything as far as wiring, ductwork, hoses etc,

all look to be fairly unmolested and in very good shape, the only thing that made me a little ticked off

is some genius took a rattle can of green paint and decided to paint the dash ,steering column, all the knobs ,

oh my god what was he thinking???? pictures soon

i wondered about the green on the inside of the windshield in the pictures.

The 345 was puzzling me the way it was starting , sometimes it would fire right up and sometimes it would start

very hard ,So I popped off the distributor cap and checked out the points ,A little pitted and the gap was a bit tight

tried to loosen up the points screw and the mounting plate was moving back and forth quite a bit ,Then I spied the

vacuum advance arm was no longer attached to the plate , (pin was gone ) Hmmm So i popped it out and took it apart

and was able to drive out the remnants of the old pin, Then tapped the hole out with 1/8 36 tap and used a good #6-32

machine screw and installed from bottom up ,This gave it a really tight interference fit , seems to work beautiful,

post-77390-0-70598600-1402701482_thumb.j

I will try it for a while see if it's a good repair

if points get annoying petronix makes an elec ignition system that works very well.

Thanx IH I was wondering if they made the pertronix setups for truck motors ( Now I Do know) :)

The setup I put on the 18A was actually for a six cylinder truck. It worked like a charm. Not a big surprise since the cap was for a truck as well. Usually the issue is finding the right model as there were brand variations on the distributors. Some were Delco, some IH, and I want to say there was a third brand as well. For a 345, maybe no such problem?

Delco, Prestolite, and Holley. i think after 75 the holly gold box became the most popular system. still run it on my terra. but the pertronix setup is just crazy simple

The distributor repair seems to be working great , It was kinda nice to dig out the vacuum gauge, timing light ,and dwell meter to

get it all dialed in, Had the timing light hooked up to #8 and noticed the flashing wasn't consistent , checked the wires etc'

decided to put another plug in it yahoo !!! she cleaned right up ,the intermittent skip I was worried about disappeared

and she runs strong , very strong :) Forgive me calling it a 68'

took a short video of it starting and idling

No doubt it is smooth. Sounds like all the important parts are doing okay?

Yeah them water pumps can be a hazard.

I still have my timing light but lost track of the dwell meter probably 25 years ago.

Soon you can go hang with this guy. Does well, some of it isn't pretty.

Nice video 'M' that guy is certainly not shy , It really surprised me how well it climbed those hills,

Always found the long wheelbase out do the shorts except turning. Especially when the shorts have dug up the ground at their own wheel base :lol: I don't think some of those guys were good with tire pressures. The IH was a bit high pressure too, but did fine though.

Any other quirks beyond the water pump?

Seems ok so far MD , I noticed while shifting out of reverse to neutral it likes to not come out of reverse ,if you shift from

reverse up to first no problem , I noticed the steering box mounting bolts are a little loose ,haven't looked closely at it yet ,

Oil pressure gauge no workie ,temperature gauge either . Brakes seem to be just fine so far , And the motor is just starting

and running better every time I move it :) I really haven't decided what level of restoration I am going to do on it ,

I really don't like having trailer queens ,mostly like driving em around and having fun , I do appreciate a really mint running

original engine and powertrain though , I have ordered the Line Ticket to see what was on it when built ,

Here is a picture of the dash that somebody painted

post-77390-0-95557300-1403057230_thumb.j

And a picture of some dent pulling on the rear door " I am in no way shape or form a body man "

But I am not afraid of trying anything once ;)

post-77390-0-61535500-1403057247_thumb.j

Couple more of the stud gun pulling "by the way a harbor freight buy " and so far works great

post-77390-0-47000500-1403057560_thumb.j

And one of the unwanted vent holes in the drivers floor

post-77390-0-87125300-1403057696_thumb.j

and one of the small amount of rust at the cowl seam

post-77390-0-03297000-1403057749_thumb.j

Not known for having trailer queens myself.

I never tried the stud thingy.

Kinda shame what they did to the dash.

Rust and IH seem to go together <_<

My Loadstar had rust so bad the driver running board was a hazard to step on. It flexed a lot. Inside was decent though.

Nice looking 1967 1100B 1/2-ton 4X4 T-all.

I would agree that the majority of the V-8 equipped light line trucks and T-alls most likely had the SV304.

Over the years I have seen all sorts of transplants. One I have seen was in a '67 1100B T-all that had an SV304 and had it swapped with an SV392. While they were at it they also swapped the B-W automatic for a TF727.

Of all of the SV engines the SV345 has always been my favorite. It has a lot more go than the SV304 and enarly as much as the SV392. And the SV345 drinks a lot less gas than the SV392.

As far as options were concerned, if you were willing to pay for it IHC would build it into your truck. While a 5-speed would have been highly unusual it was not unheard of. I am thinking that if the engine is not OEM the transmission most likely is not OEM either. Most likely, there was a problem and a donor was found to repower the T-all with the most likely donor being a Loadstar.

The green panel wagon is most likely a 1964 C1200. The grille isn't correct for a D1200. The 'D' grille had a lot more vertical pieces and no horizontal pieces.

The model year of so many 'binders get confusing due in large part to the fact that most were titled in the year they were first sold and not the model year in which they were built. I know of one shop truck owned by an IHC dealer that always had dealer plates until it was sold for the first time more than ten years after the truck had been built.

Regardless, it would appear as if you have found a really nice keeper.

Good luck and happy trails.

I haven't received the line ticket for the truck yet , but the VIN tag says

196.7 gross horsepower which I believe matches up with the 345 it has in it :)

What is the differences in the "custom" and "deluxe" models ??

I was able to remove the cowl vent and screen and sent my inspection camera down into the cowls snuck it over the

fresh air intakes and right down into the upper fender pockets etc Very happy to say it looks beautiful inside ,

Next question What can I treat these areas with to keep them from rusting , I don't like POR15 the stuff just sucks to work with

and my experience with it has not been a positive one :angry:

Got the Line Ticket in the mail today , If I am not mistaken 345 v8 and 5 spd came with it,

The truck seems to have spent it's whole life in Montana as I was told by the 2nd owner (seller)

Can anyone else spot anything unusual , neat or wrong with the ticket (something not matching)

post-77390-0-09431000-1403309165_thumb.j

I did notice super capacity heater and the truck has 2 blower fans

nothing strikes you as strange until you consider the entire list. this was a highly optioned vehicle. someone paid alot of money to buy that new. i think you got a winner. on the trans. does it say t-34 or t-36. it doesnt matter to me but one is overdriven....barely. and one is a direct drive. ih made trans. basically someone said build me a tiny 4wd loadstar lol.

IH when I blow it up to read it I am 99% sure it says T34

Is there a production list anywhere ,?? I am curious how many travelalls were made

Also how do I decode the line set ticket numbers ?? are they part numbers ?

Here is a link to BinderPlanet FAQ on Line Set Codes.

Interpreting Line Set Codes

Also, notice the Engine Serial Number is stamped on the line set, so you will know if you have the original engine.

i have a 68 Travelall with a 345 and the T-34 overdrive 5sp and mine also has the super capacity heater.

Here is a link to an album on Shutterfly from long time ago, seems to still work, let me know if it doesn't.

68 Travelall on Flikr

Thank You Farmall, Excuse me while I wipe the drool off of my keyboard after looking at your pictures :wub:

I did some checking and the truck has Dana 44's front and rear, Gemmer steering box, New Process 202 transfer case(single lever)

and a IHC T-34 5spd with overdrive and 6.21 1st gear , The lineset code interpreting page is great , but only covers the driveline,

I wonder if their is an option code list out there ??

The distributor repair seems to be working great , It was kinda nice to dig out the vacuum gauge, timing light ,and dwell meter to

get it all dialed in, Had the timing light hooked up to #8 and noticed the flashing wasn't consistent , checked the wires etc'

decided to put another plug in it yahoo !!! she cleaned right up ,the intermittent skip I was worried about disappeared

and she runs strong , very strong :) Forgive me calling it a 68'

took a short video of it starting and idling

I dug out my timing light and dwell meter. Dusted them off and put a set of points (Blue Streak) and a condenser in my 1965 V8 326 Pontiac Tempest. The only hard part was having to crawl over the engine compartment to install the points. My arms must have shrunk or my belly got larger!!