Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ron Sorden

Bought gas today!!!

PPO check out bloomberg this is where I scanned it this AM ,besides the pain killers are kicking in right now

For Randy Sohn

Randy; Went to town yesterday (Wed) and gas at the ARCO had dropped to 2.89 pg and in town ( Chehalis, WA ) it ran anywhere from $2.79 to $3.15 pg. On the way home the ARCO had dropped $0.10 cents a gal to $2.79 and an independant that had been $3.15 on the way in was down to $3.02. That much in just 3 hours.

Funny that what was really expensive a few weeks ago is now "cheap".

Ron

For Randy Sohn

Ron

Lets not give up hope just yet! Even though it seems "cheap"

Gas here is $2.79 and up.

For Randy Sohn

Ron

Lets not give up hope just yet! Even though it seems "cheap"

Gas here is $2.79 and up.

I 'm not. I think prices will continue down for awhile but I don't think we'll ever see below $2.00 gal again.

Ron

I 'm not.  I think prices will continue down for awhile but I don't think we'll ever see below $2.00 gal again.

Ron

I don't either But you never know! If they would stay their for a while that's ok by me. I just hate this yo-yo daily pricing stuff.

1.805 on the futures market today for Oct 05 delivery. That's a pre-Katrina price, and gives us a basis for 2.40 gas in PA in october. It's 2.79 at the pump here today, too, Ernest. Looks like there are places in MS and MN that have that 2.40-2.50 already.

I'll bet we see sub 2.00 regular again - just not in the next month or two.

Ernest - re>>I just hate this yo-yo daily pricing stuff<<

Ya'made me reminisce some here, wonder why we listened daily at noon to the "markets" at Sioux City and St. Paul for beef cattle?

Yup, daily!

best, randy

Guest Old Rusty Farmall
1.805 on the futures market today for Oct 05 delivery. That's a pre-Katrina price, and gives us a basis for 2.40 gas in PA in october. It's 2.79 at the pump here today, too, Ernest. Looks like there are places in MS and MN that have that 2.40-2.50 already.

I'll bet we see sub 2.00 regular again - just not in the next month or two.

$2.59 In Verndale.. Still too damn high IMO. Told the guy at the station today when it drops another dollar I'll be happy. On sceond thought even that is too damn high. Ya see the oil co.s have conditioned us now to expect over $2/gallon gas. So now when ever we see $1.99 we think it a **** of a deal even though when one looks at the larger picture it ain't. $1.30/ gallon would make me happy.

ORF

Fuel prices? Give me a break!

It is what it is. If you don't think fuel is worth the price, don't buy it. I know you are going to say, "I have no choice, I have to buy it to get to work." But that's not true for any of us.

Fuel is cheap at any price that we have had to pay to date. If it really gets too expensive (I'm talking $5-10 per gallon), then sell your house and move closer to work. Car pool. Buy a more fuel efficient car. Take public transportation. Ride a horse. Or walk. Or get a different job.

But geez, quit crying about the price of gas. I don't hear anyone complaining about the price of bottled water. Or the price of a single family home. Or the price happy meals. But they are all skyrocketing, too. It's just life in a global capitalist economy. Get used to it or do without.

I can't believe all of the members on here that brag about their new car/truck, then turn around and complain about the price of fuel. If you can still afford to buy a new car/truck, can afford to finance it, and can afford to pay ever increasing insurance premiums, then gas is the least of your worries.

Sorry about the rant, but I would rather hear about how everyone is dealing with/adjusting to the higher prices rather than just complaining and expecting it to come back down. Has anyone done anything positive to reduce their fuel consumption?

Dale

You damned right Dale! I dropped from 75, posted speed limit, to 55mph. That has reduced my fuel consumption.

Dale,

1991 I bought a new Chevrolet 1500 shorst bed V6 with manual trans with over drive, 2 wheel drive, which got me 21 mpg highway, and that was running 70 mph. 247 miles later I wrecked it for the last time.

Then there was the 98 Ram Quad cab with the 360, 2 wheel drive, 15 mpg.

Now I have a 2003 Ram 1500 Quad cab that I bought new, 2 wheel drive with 318, I drive a lot to get to work. Because I work construction. This truck was getting me the high 17's to mid 18's on mpg. A few weeks ago I un loaded all the tools I don't need right now, started driving the legal spppd limit on state roads, and droped the tail gate to reduce drag. and I did not do all this at once so I am seeing what difference each item makes in the mpg. I am up to 20.6 to 20.7 mpg on this truck :)

Congratulations, H-D and Pat!

In the early 1980s I worked for Owens Corning. We worked with automotive OEMs to develop a fuel efficient prototype car based on a current production model. Our role was to help design the body structure of lightweight composites. The OEMs worked on developing a fuel efficient drivetrain. The 4 door compact ended up weighing 1800 lbs, and used a 1.0L turbo diesel with a 5 speed overdrive transmission. The average mileage in everyday driving was 48 mpg. We hired a professional driver to drive the car from Detroit to Knoxville, Tn., and asked him to do the best he can to maximize mileage. He ended up averaging 91.4 mpg! That made quite an impression on me that by changing driving habits, one could increase fuel economy from 48 to 91mpg!

I, too have reduced my speed on highways, but I started doing it a few years ago so I could enjoy the scenery better. (Getting old, I guess.) I should try dropping my tailgate to see if it helps.

Both of the cars and my truck have manual transmissions, now. I drive on relatively vacant roads, with rolling hills. I have experimented with kicking them out of gear and coasting down hills when there is no one around, and have increased the mileage in one car from 33mpg when driving normally, to over 40mpg when using this method.

When driving in town, I anticipate traffic lights more. I try not to come to a complete stop if I don't have to. I tailgate less, so I don't have to hit the brakes as often.

It's become a challenge to see how well I can do. I've noticed other people slowing down, too.

Dale

dale, kinda hard to change a lot on fuel consumption when its chopping season, with combining to follow.

gas here is still mostly $3.15- 3.25. a few are at 2.999. big oil can brag about their profits again this quarter.

dale, kinda hard to change a lot on fuel consumption when its chopping season, with combining to follow.

gas here is still mostly $3.15- 3.25. a few are at 2.999. big oil can brag about their profits again this quarter.

Bill,

Your right, there is little you can do to improve the fule consumption of those machines and the cost is going to be hard on you, but I do think we all need to think and work a little harder where ever we can to save any energy we can. every little saving will help in the long run.

I hear you loud and clear, Bill. I'm just kinda interested in hearing how some of the guys out there are beating the higher fuel costs.

Here's hoping that commodity prices will increase enough to cover the additional cost of harvest and planting next year. I surely don't know how most of you guys do it. I cannot get it to pencil out for my operation. I'm just too small. :(

Dale

...........................and droped the tail gate to reduce drag. and I did not do all this at once so I am seeing what difference each item makes in the mpg. I am up to 20.6 to 20.7 mpg on this truck :)

OTB, put your tailgate backup. Tests have proven that lowering/removing the tailgate or use of netting in place of the tailgate actually reduces gas mileage up to .5 mpg

im looking for a no till drill and a decent sprayer . havent had any luck yet with either. the plowing is where i spend most of my money on fuel.

tommyw - Just to keep this current, I noticed this morning at the local SA, now down again to 2.49.

best, randy

Paid $2.76 yesterday at Costco in Olympia yesterday. Prices are scattered from that to $3.04 up and down the I-5.

Ron

Ron Sorden - Keepiing this up for the record again, paid 2.45 this AM, now on the radio I hear 2.42.

best, randy

This evening at Collins,MO 87 octane was $2.39 a gallon.I took my wife over to Smiths Resturant at Collins for a belated birthday dinner.Collins is almost halfway betwen Springfield and Kansas City on Hiway 13.

Gas in Spokane today was still $2.94. Gas in Superior, Montana $2.72. Our fuel comes from Canada and Montana. Why is it higher than the midwest??? :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Greetings from Singapore, where gas is $1.66/liter (Singapore dollars, works out to about $1US/liter)...

post-1713-1127046150.jpg

JIM :)