Sign in to follow this  
TroyDairy

life in our corner

20140120_063716_zpsbw4sdtyn.jpg

20140120_063648_zpsvmfvzzee.jpg

The KuLL-bota. 4000 hours and all that works is the motor and Hydro. Handy to use but tooooooo light for what we do. Looking for a ALL STEEL 585/485/595/495/3220/C50 with a shuttle.

Around here we give everything a nickname. That bad boy would definitely be "Old Stinky".

jerry

Jerry. It get washed every 3-4 weeks. Something about that orange paint. Our c50 and 464 never got rhat dirty. We blame the I tires. They are flat faced so every drop gets thrown up. We call it "the p.o.s.".

Troy- I was going to suggest you give the little Kubota a bath but it looks like you are way ahead of me. :)

TD, Long time ago I heard LTI bought lots of Mack trucks, Mack gave LTI some kind of extended warranty to get the sale on the units which went to Alaska story goes it about put Mack out of business due to many many repairs with the rough Alaskan environment , May have been back in the pipe line days, Don't know if you or your uncle might have the correct version or just B.S.

TD, Long time ago I heard LTI bought lots of Mack trucks, Mack gave LTI some kind of extended warranty to get the sale on the units which went to Alaska story goes it about put Mack out of business due to many many repairs with the rough Alaskan environment , May have been back in the pipe line days, Don't know if you or your uncle might have the correct version or just B.S.

Wouldn't surprise me. The get 110% out of their stuff. I had the History Book on LTI....very cool. I swear thought all that was in every pic was KW. They were WA based so Hank liked them. Them ultra light milk trucks went to quarry work after they were done with KNIK building bridges and Purdue Bay roads. Crazy they lasted.

Sheesh...# 6 an 7 fresh cow since 4 am! Already got 14 heifers for raiser this morning.

20140121_082955_zpsopquk3dv.jpg

I've always loved dairy cattle. Got a good eye for good quality cattle and a knack for good pedigrees. But not much use for that kind of knowledge around here.

Swiss calves were the most frustrating breed to ever work with. They would refuse to suck the bucket sometimes but would suck your fingers or anything else. I tube fed a Swiss heifer for 3 weeks as she refused to suck, then one day she sucked the bucket. Glad I kept her as she went on to become my National Bellringer Sr 3yr old.

We would blind fold them.............Was amazing how they would suck a bottle when they couldn't see.

Our milk truck is a mack strait truck almost 2 years old with 200,000, milk man the other day said 2 more years and another new one, pretty decent he said so far besides some def and comp. issues, mostly strait trucks around here in Mn, especially on route some fill up and off to plant they go others haul to creamery's unload and go on route again and from there some tractor trailers haul off to plant.

Herd health day........check for pregs, sex embryos, look at possibly cystic cows. Cant quite see the Ultra-sound Monocular on his hat there.

My Vet Rob from Dillon MT

20140120_173552_LLS_zpsfeki131x.jpg

Cool Picture! Can you explain the Ultra-sound monocular bit?

Sheesh...# 6 an 7 fresh cow since 4 am! Already got 14 heifers for raiser this morning.

20140121_082955_zpsopquk3dv.jpg

Been watching a couple close up cows due any day now....need more room for calves though. Always good to have a steady flow of fresh cows

I don't miss messing with the heifers. Bellies all swollen up, like the one in the picture there.

That old cow looks like she would be fun to milk in our stanchion barn. Those old low bag cows were a pain for the milker claws too.

Never heard of blindfolding them Tyler!!! Wish I knew that years ago!

I don't miss messing with the heifers. Bellies all swollen up, like the one in the picture there.

That old cow looks like she would be fun to milk in our stanchion barn. Those old low bag cows were a pain for the milker claws too.

Never heard of blindfolding them Tyler!!! Wish I knew that years ago!

Yeah ALWAYS the ugliest cow stands by the gate near the house or in a pic frame! Swollen udders = MILK!

RJ, here is a pic a I found (BCF Ultrasound) In the little hanging thing is a screen he can see the uterus pic. He also has a 'iPad' style thing I can hold to see what he is seeing. I am too busy with shots, writing and finding cows to do it though. Here is a link to pics

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4587468724701347&w=256&h=178&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4587468724701343&w=233&h=170&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

whole unit. Like 8"x8"

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4804343039198938&w=256&h=178&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

Only allows me to show link not pic?!

Just for you 1066! 4 1st lac in fresh pen. The 3rd one looked better before milking.....much better than yesterdays cow!

20140122_083523_zpsszayqvjx.jpg

All 1st but the 4th on end.

20140122_091229_zpsmamley6k.jpg

Them 2 on the right look like they are big cows! Me and dad woulda had a fun time getting them across the gutter! Nice looking 2yr olds

Some of my show heifers that I grew big were giants pains to deal with. Always liked a medium sized 1st lactation heifer, they would always grow more.

20140120_063716_zpsbw4sdtyn.jpg

20140120_063648_zpsvmfvzzee.jpg

The KuLL-bota. 4000 hours and all that works is the motor and Hydro. Handy to use but tooooooo light for what we do. Looking for a ALL STEEL 585/485/595/495/3220/C50 with a shuttle.

Around here we give everything a nickname. That bad boy would definitely be "Old Stinky".

jerry

We always used manure scrapers on skidloaders. Is there an advantage/disadvantage using a tractor?

Skid loaders destroy most of the barn. 10 years ago the local CNH guy sold 10 skid loaders for scraping. By 2 years all were back to tractors.

Justin, The 2 on rt are normal (smallish) the other ones are 22 months so light yet. Big cows are stooooopid. Eat too much and limp too much!

I agree with ya Troy!!

Just before 5 am....or 1 pm, or 9 pm....

20140123_050652_zps3nusavnk.jpg

Troy what type of lights do you have in that BEEYOOTEEFULL milking parlor,

They look very bright in the pix, Jus wondering if they would be suitable for shop/garage use???

Kevin

High efficiency fluorescent. 6 4' bulbs/fixture, water resistant. 200/ But heavy-quality

Just for you 1066! 4 1st lac in fresh pen. The 3rd one looked better before milking.....much better than yesterdays cow!

20140122_083523_zpsszayqvjx.jpg

All 1st but the 4th on end.

20140122_091229_zpsmamley6k.jpg

Damn your raiser must be good!

He's okay. Not a bad job but very ornery to work with. HIGH priced also. Lot of attitude from his other half as well............

Good looking cattle guys

The one standing next to the big black cow looks like she should be milking well. 2nd lactation?

What sires are you using Troy? Or herd bull

The white one is a 3rd IIRC. We use 100% Select Sires. 2000 TPI or better, 1000 milk, + F and P, 2.+ type, 2.+ udder.

The 1st lac are avg 69# as of today in fresh pen. The entire fresh pen (under 60 dim, 100 hd, 30 dim avg today) are doing 86#.

1st lac from fresh to near dry is only 61# though. 2-9 Lac (yep 9) are avg 84#. Herd total avg=77.8#. We've been kinda flopping along since the new parlor. All the changes really kicked the older cows in the butt. The late lac group is 60# or so. Cut them out of the herd avg and we're back to a normal 83#.

Liking the daily up to the minute info from the meters!

Warmer weather memories. This is took from the driveway of Tosco refinery about 20 miles W of me in Ferndale on the Puget Sound. Neighbors cattle graze there on a this old family dairy. Oh Mt Baker in the back.

IMG_5409.JPG

Def sounds like y'all are running smoothly, or as smoothly as a dairy can be. Lol

Would like to see your place if I am ever out that way.