Sign in to follow this  
TroyDairy

life in our corner

LOL.....no B and H hol, H jersey! Another one to watch your back around.

That's what's nice about dairy farming. Always growing lol

Also buttfat content can be influenced by ration. Quite common here for holstien herds to average 4+ percent.

I like having jerseys and some hojos around... wish i had a few more pure breed jerseys

That's what's nice about dairy farming. Always growing lol

Also buttfat content can be influenced by ration. Quite common here for holstien herds to average 4+ percent.

I like having jerseys and some hojos around... wish i had a few more pure breed jerseys

Yep, feed makes big dif but # of milk does too. Friends get about 89-92#/day with a 3.6-.8. But the #s of fat is just as good (or better) than my 82 and 4.00 since the volume is there. Cuz get 66 on 3x with a 4.0 and thinks he is close to 80# Fat corrected.....he's also going broke. BUt 'everything is great' according to him. Ask all of his COD only vendors the same question!

Looks nice Troy, sometime I'll be by to see it in person....

The dry cow barn. We bought this farm (60ac and home+barn+old hip-roof barn) in 2011. Right next door and needed room for far-off dry cows. This barn was a dairy about 20 years ago. The stall alleys run the wrong way and ventilation is cruddy but we made it work. The former owner had this area (except manger) gutted and PACKED with junk. 55 stalls IIRC. The older section to the lf (West) is still old little stalls that pen heifers we get home from Tjoker, our grower. Get them home 2-3 weeks from calving.

20140115_082614_LLS_zps6qnyedvo.jpg

We always ran a few Swiss. Usually they were late to mature but ate well, great feet and legs and pretty hardy. And most of the time they were pretty docile.

But we too,were mostly Holstein.

We always ran a few Swiss. Usually they were late to mature but ate well, great feet and legs and pretty hardy. And most of the time they were pretty docile.

But we too,were mostly Holstein.

I always like Brown Swiss, but they seem to have been commonly equipped with half a brain...............Atleast the ones with genetics from this area. But they milked pretty decent without health issues..............Best cows in the barn I thought were some R-W Holstein, Ayrshire crosses................Those animals were about the nicest natured cows out there and would preform. Pure joys to train and milk in a tie stall barn.

Dad always kept a bunch of Brown Swiss cows.. Docile to say the least and maybe a bit oblivious. Remember one standing on my foot, me beating on her side to make her move and she just looked back at me, I swear she had a smile on her face. Sure am glad you guys like cows.

Always wanted a couple brown swiss. Only problem is they bring too much money here. Not many around here. Same with ayrshires. there was a herd of purebred ayrshires sell in September low was 1500 can't remember what the high was i didn't go had to chop haylage but my dad went and said there were people from Massachusetts and other states there....must be they are valuable

I've always loved dairy cattle. Got a good eye for good quality cattle and a knack for good pedigrees. But not much use for that kind of knowledge around here.

Swiss calves were the most frustrating breed to ever work with. They would refuse to suck the bucket sometimes but would suck your fingers or anything else. I tube fed a Swiss heifer for 3 weeks as she refused to suck, then one day she sucked the bucket. Glad I kept her as she went on to become my National Bellringer Sr 3yr old.

-----------GO HAWKS------------

To the super bowl we go.

Dennis

-----------GO HAWKS------------

To the super bowl we go.

Dennis

AAAAMMMMEEEENNNNN!!!!!!

Swiss? My friend bought a load of swiss for the dairy he ran of about 900. Only thing he said was they were the dumbest things he ever seen. Hard to even get into parlor since they would just sit there.

Milk hauler (BIG outfit..all of Northwest and freight by Air, Sea, truck to and in Alaska) got new KWs last fall.

Kinda dark but what ya gonna do they come at 7pm. They run at 105,500#s. Lightest dang things you've seen. No A/C, no passenger seat, the dolly is mounted so there is no 5th wheel on trailer. The trailers are SS on the inner skin and very thin aluminum on the outside for weight savings. I should ask the driver the Tare wt. She will run milk for 30k hours or 700000 miles then they will take them to Alaska and literally run them into the ground hauling rock for oil and road industry. I dont think they have ever traded in a truck to be honest but I've been wrong before. Well been told by her I was wrong!? Here they have PTO pumps. Inland you have to provide a 5-10hp milk pump to fill them. They can be lighter then. We assume we'll have to do that in the next 5-10 years.

the front..and front trailer...

20140119_200732_zps2jjdkfhz.jpg

the back trailer..

20140119_200654_zpsvoksdk52.jpg

from road....pic is really weird....not sure what happened...cool looking though

20140119_200629_zpsoakvnjyw.jpg

Thanks Troy for all the pictures. We sold our cows in 2004 and your pics sure bring back memories. Some good, some not so good.......... ;) . It's interesting to see how you do things "there".

Keep them comin'...

20140120_063716_zpsbw4sdtyn.jpg

20140120_063648_zpsvmfvzzee.jpg

The KuLL-bota. 4000 hours and all that works is the motor and Hydro. Handy to use but tooooooo light for what we do. Looking for a ALL STEEL 585/485/595/495/3220/C50 with a shuttle.

TD,

One item should be added to your post which is very impressive about the LTI Group which is they manufacture their own milk tank trailers, At least the trailers have their Lynden name attached on the back of them. Check it out I could be wrong.

Yep. make their own trailers here in town. No one would make them light enough. Lynden INC is a neat family company.

Herd health day........check for pregs, sex embryos, look at possibly cystic cows. Cant quite see the Ultra-sound Monocular on his hat there.

My Vet Rob from Dillon MT

20140120_173552_LLS_zpsfeki131x.jpg

Need to convince my old man to have the vet do herd checks......

Our milk hauling company got a new KW straight truck last year. Nothing but trouble with the emissions controls

Didn't think anyone used straight trucks anymore. Our guys sold out right before we quit and the new haulers refused to run straight trucks. They had a rough time bringing a trailer in our place

Didn't think anyone used straight trucks anymore. Our guys sold out right before we quit and the new haulers refused to run straight trucks. They had a rough time bringing a trailer in our place

Neighbor hauler has 8 straight Petes and 1 trailer.

Ours have a couple. The truck on our route has 13 stops, small farms that like ours is hard to get around with a tractor and tank especially this time of year. They do pick up with a short tank and tractor every once and again

LTI, our, guy has used trailers since early 60s. Dad cant recall straight trucks since he was in JR High in 60. I havnt asked the drivers about the emissions. They bought 100 new 660KW last summer and I see a few New Peters with a slight dif paint scheme in town at their yard. Heard they got a few. I think they always get 100 when they order new. Had T800s for years, then Freightliners....bad deal I guess with MBE engines. Now returned to KW and Pete. They have restored their 1st Al-Can highway truck in town here. 58 KW and Polished 35' van trailer. Gonzo would know the year for sure I bet. I would bet between all their deals they own/operate 1000 rigs. In the Ice Road show on the Carlile trucking door is one of their companies logos....LTI Alaska Freight. They "allow" Carlile to operate in AK my old truck driving uncle says! I will try to get a pic of that old truck. Whole shebang started with a ol' farm boy and a Mack. Look at the History tab here.

http://www.lynden.com/about/overview.html