Sign in to follow this  
TroyDairy

life in our corner

I don't know but I don't quite think that they are any better. Yeah they eat less but they milk way less!

Inside the barn before.

20131108_140329_zps29c8bc48.jpg[/url

Jerry here is the link to the parlor build this last summer of sleeplessness!

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/Troydairy/library/Parlor%202013

Nice pics Troy, your new parlor makes it nice for the milker. How many at a time? Two times a day or three?

You are right about Deere loaders. Contractor loader of choice in our area, many 544's

Dennis

Thanks. Dbl 15 delaval. Three x a day. Not 100% sure if 3x pays any more. Been doing 13 years so don't know any better! I have reliefed a few milkings and it is nicer but busy. Just put a radio at 6m anniversary for them. Hid a volume control in the attic so I can keep it peacefull. Some barns are headache inducing loud!! Ours is eirily quiet. Honestly cannot tell if the vacuum pump is on

A quite barn is a good barn. Usually keep the radio turned down in ours. They say if your averaging 60 - 70 pounds a cow or more then 3x a day pays.

Very nice looking cows

Last chore of the day before dinner.....usually. Getting corn silage from rental bunker up the road.

20140115_170451_zpsl0jw78vx.jpg

very interesting series of pictures. how many employees including owners work there? do you raise all the feed for the cows? I like your bunk layout.

Heres some more feed yard pics for you Bill. From last fall harvest.

From barns SW

2012-10-03_15-44-11_836_zpse95faea9.jpg

South in yard

20131005_091759_zps135308cb.jpg

2012-10-03_15-44-11_836_zpse95faea9.jpg

East

2012-10-04_15-58-01_336_zpse4faf74d.jpg

It needs about 40' more between the Commodities and bunkers but otherwise works nice.

We raise all forage except Alfalfa (E Wa/Or is where is comes from...too wet here). Buy all by-products and grains. Again too wet. Lets see.....My Brother and I. Dad and other brother (AI tech) both do about 15 hours a week so they equal one i guess. Then 3 full time milkers and a relief kid who does 2 shifts a week and pushes up cows/washes parlor Saturdays.

Sorry I cant get the extra pic off....??

Wow...sun in January. From the rental bunker looking east at our little hills. The big hills have snow on them
20140116_162449_zpsuo6ashyo.jpg

You are in a very pretty area of Washington. Must be Mt Baker on the left.

Dennis

Beautiful view you have.

Was a nice sunny day here almost no snow. That sun sure feels good

Yep. Then Twin sisters on right. SInce we're about 5 miles E of here (bunker) we can only just see the tip of Baker. Go about 3 miles N and 3 miles E into Canada and Mt Baker view is flat amazing. Ridgefield....thats a pretty small area IIRC down by Vancouver WA?

Here's something new...

20140115_091746_LLS_zpspwvz5qo4.jpg

20140115_100349_zpse9csm8yb.jpg

Harvesting Raspberry plants. Thats a 'onion' lifter I would call it. Goes 6-8" under ground like a wing/rockpicker with a motor on side shuffling it along. Real slow like rototilling. Then.....

20140115_091753_LLS_zpsvt8lqj7m.jpg

they manually shake dirt off an pile them up to toss in plastic totes. The canes then simply need to be stuck into the ground and they root and grow into raspberry plants. They replant their fields every 5-7 years. At 7-10000 ac to plant they need to keep productive. Yields and quality drop fast I guess after 5. Juice berries go maybe 10 but IQF/fresh 5-6 is norm. This is right next to the barns. Only 5 acres.....but when someone offers $1350/acre....you let it go pretty easy! They NEED virgin never been in fruit ground to keep disease at bay. This 4.75 acre patch will plant about 50 acres I guess. Owner, I think he is in the one pic of the shaking/stacking, said he will gross $200000 from the sale of plants if he sells all of them. He need 20 acres worth for the field up the road though. The family has one of the biggest farms here. Esp for the Brown guys. Near 1000 acres in 2 counties and Canada of fruit. Prob the nicest Brown guys family around for sure.

Very neat pics, I always love to see how it's done in other parts of the country. Thanks!

How do you stay awake on those long flat fields? Here, you`re either steering, braking or puckering up. Nice shots TD.

How do you stay awake on those long flat fields? Here, you`re either steering, braking or puckering up. Nice shots TD.

Phhhh! Here a big field is 40 in one place. Lot of ditches an creeks to mess with

The berry operation is neat. There is an Amish guy here that grows some and has a greenhouse full of them. I think there is money in them just labor intensive. I'd rather milk cows

The berry operation is neat. There is an Amish guy here that grows some and has a greenhouse full of them. I think there is money in them just labor intensive. I'd rather milk cows

1000s of acres here. Raspberries are king then blueberries and cranberries. We are a Island in a berry field! Our county is 50% of the national supply of raspberries IIRC. Top in the nation. Besides 2 #1 $ maker large refineries on the water ag is #2 in our county of 90k people. Dairy, then rasp, then blue, then seed spuds, then horticulture. Here's a treat to find in the morning. Scrapers are sooooo nice but when it messes up it messes up! 68000 hours on them and still love them!

20140115_091853_zpsbplcy9yo.jpg

Very similar to pouring money out on the ground....

20140115_075117_zpshz54ecvr.jpg

Wow...sun in January. From the rental bunker looking east at our little hills. The big hills have snow on them

Sure looks like a area I would fit in..

Sure looks like a area I would fit in..

Not quite.......go N about 1 mile an E apx 6.....you'd fit like a jig saw puzzle there!!

1st day on the job. I welded the lynch pen into the hitch pen.......this is her last stop for good :P .

20140117_082507_zpsiktocnqz.jpg

I don't know but I don't quite think that they are any better. Yeah they eat less but they milk way less!

Troy do you suppose that with breading the butterfat content of the average Holstein has been brought up to near that of the average Jersey? With more Holstein's in the country I can see where there would be more potential for breed improvement.

Troy do you suppose that with breading the butterfat content of the average Holstein has been brought up to near that of the average Jersey? With more Holstein's in the country I can see where there would be more potential for breed improvement.

The old school breeder always have said that if you want Fat pick bulls for it. Thing is for years everyone wanted more milk and ignored Fat. When pricing systems changed it became more advantageous for more Fat.. But you still neeeeeeed # of milk to = #s of Fat! % is neat but we get paid on #s not %! The # Fat/cow H vs J is getting closer since Jerseys have been getting bred to make more milk and Hol have been bred to get more Fat [if you are smart]. The crux is the little ones eat less. But the 1st lactation is pretty near a negative cash wise. At least out here with our cost. With feed prices dropping a bit and milk rising a bit it makes us (the 96% USA herd) Holstein guys look good!

The 'new' [5 years old] barn. All clean and ready for round 2 to start. Fresh cows on left and far out late cos on right...

20140118_064921_LLS_zpsttb4q0dv.jpg

Nice thing about milking cows is you come out in the morning an you've grown you biz as you slept. 2 H and 1 B today. Never do you dirt farmers wake up with 3 more acres. Or truck guys have a baby KW in the garage in the morning! ;-)

20140118_071253_LLS_zpsqegcbdgo.jpg