Sign in to follow this  
TroyDairy

life in our corner

Lost 10 this week.  Been temping them 2x a day.  If we treat with excede they are responding.  All doa are ones we didnt catch in time.  Inforce vacc still needed for about 90.  Treated 113 so far of 240.  You who buy Excede know how much per dose it is....  We wanted out of uncles since it was such a pita and now we are getting this.  Shipping fever on steroids.  Vet says hes never seen such a strong hit esp since they moved 4 miles.  Same feed, people etc.  So much Worse, i hate cows dying.  Makes you sick since they are in your care and you missed something.  

Well....20 now.  Today seems to be calm though.  Treated couple though.

Now....stupid.  power off

20180113_110928.jpg

Whats with the goose?  Isn't that a snow goose?

Looks like a dead one.:lol:

1 hour ago, jingles1928 said:

Looks like a dead one.:lol:

Nice...:lol:

5 hours ago, red211 said:

Whats with the goose?  Isn't that a snow goose?

Dang pige.....swan.  If you look at its rt wing you can see the burn.  They cross short wires and trip fuses.  Last year (or 2 ago) had 2 bald eagles with in a mile of farm do it.  Friend told me to breast it out.   Ehhh...coyotos have it mia by morning.

Snow geese are about 2x size of duck id say.  The swan was prob 15 to 20#.  The eagle last year was 40#, i had to pick it up for evidence for power co.  They bag and ship to a lab to determine cause of death.  The 5 people who seen it out thier window dont count.

Sorry for all your troubles Troy.  Hope what ever is going on doesn't spread to your herd.  What about the ones that went to Ca.  Any word from there?  I know they are not your concern but may be informational.  Hang in there.

Dennis

10 hours ago, farmalldr said:

Sorry for all your troubles Troy.  Hope what ever is going on doesn't spread to your herd.  What about the ones that went to Ca.  Any word from there?  I know they are not your concern but may be informational.  Hang in there.

Dennis

Totally fine....broker called guy in AB where they went.  We had very stagnant air warnings most of last week.  Vet thinks stress of move here and lack of vaccination program ( susceptible to bvd, bvr, lepto, pastuella, etc) combined with stale air made perfect storm.  I even started cooling fans wed just to move air,  and opened cutains some and every door.  Broker says the Ca broker whom moved cows alwaaayys gives cows Inforce to boost immunity and a Cattlemaster variant when thy get to where the go to cover his tail.  Wish I would of know that.  Thank goodness they are here I guess, uncle has no where to lock up cows.  And since we we not there all the time they would of really died off.  Few who have been only here are sick too so not just the 2x move ones.  They all had weak immune systems.  We sure regret this deal.  Could of just slowly added on some cheap springers and not touched our line with the bank.  On paper it looked fine and only be a pain for a few months till robots were going.  Now....1500/hd...23 dead, few more prob wont make it.  20% prob culled in next 3 weeks after med out, and this set will never be as good as they could of been.  

Just went out, they cleaned up their feed already!  Good sign they are eating again!  Gave em 5-600# of dry Alf to get till morning.  Lots got up to eat so good sign as well.

Thought the neck looked long for a snow.  Hate to here something like that knocks out power, at least it should be a quick repair.

Sounds like things may be straigtening out for you. Good to hear!

Well sunday wasnt as fun.  Lost 4, 3 today.  2 in pen .....not sure why keeping them.  Retreated few.  Couple more are wait n see.  Vet is sure now its BVRD (bovine viral respiratory disease) not simple pneumonia.  You know the disease that a $2 vacc shot would of fixed?  Should of got more info and we could of gave vacc before moving them.  7 have air under skin from pin holes in lungs from damage.  They should make it but prob wait for meds to clear and ship them if they look better.  

In pos news.....hard to find....we finally are using the small gift from grandmas estate and going to take kids to Disneyland.  Spring break, man Walt is proud of his stuff.  Also we used our air miles and pulled "customer" card to get dad a trip to The World Ag Expo in Feb.  Going with his brother in law who farms S of us few miles.  Gift for doing 50hr a week lately.  Uncle wanted to be home thur so Monday night to thur morning.  Hope they can catch Tony but time will be tight.  2 days can hardly see show and banker has dinner thing for them one night.  Grain co takes all local guys out 1 other night also.  He was excited so we did what we wanted.  I cant wait for trip frankly.....get away for few days.  Fell 10yrs older in last 21 days.