Sign in to follow this  
TroyDairy

life in our corner

52 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Yes....it 8:30p and we are trying to get new calving are operational.  Wth....  Should of told cow seller we needed 2 months.  Milked 1st 100 at uncles...man...i should of walked through not taking his word all was fine.  Barns...no lights, panel for barn...terrifiying.  Had welding shop weld up bunch of stalls yesterday.  Some gates looked fine.....till you tried to use em.  Sighhh...other place just needed more to be ready.  Esp the flooring...its amazing it so slippery.  Next 100 come here tomorrow.....have to train em for parrallel.  5 weeks of stuff in 2.

Good night......pray for all our sanity

20171220_202427.jpg

Good luck and don't strain your back again that'll make it worse...hope it all gets going smooth soon....

Hang in there.....and remember to not overdo physically. Get help when needed.

Troy, I have been following your escapades with interest the last few months, just haven't taken the time to respond much.

We are kind of in the same situation as you, we undertook a major expansion this year, but with sows not cows. Doubled our herd size from 50 sows to 100 with a goal of 125 in the near future. Built a new gestation barn and new farrowing and nursery barn.

Lots of sleepless nights before we went ahead with the project. Like you, the banker and accountant were 100% behind our plans, not sure if that is good or bad however.:(

When we started planning back in the early spring we set a deadline of Sept 1st. The contractors all agreed that was realistic. Made plans with my gilt supplier to take delivery of our new gilts around that time. In April September seemed a long way off. Needless to say, the barn was not anywhere near ready on Sept. 1st. Managed to put off delivery of gilts for a couple weeks and then received them into a barn that was not anywhere near ready. I hate working on barns that are filled up before they are ready.

Farrowing barn is still not ready, we are waiting on the electricians and I have some water lines and penning to finish. Have a group of sows due starting Dec 29th and they need to go into the new barn. Nothing like pushing things right down to the wire.......

Just thought I would share our experiences to let you know you are not alone. It doesn't always seem like it right now but it will get done and you will eventually have all this behind you.  

Thanks hilmskin

I am at fault.  Should ofmtold the cow seller we would not be ready till feb 1.  He hemmed and hawed then was all hot to move em.  Nutritionist talked me off the ledge this pm.  Uncles place...man.  we hung a new gate and will do 2 more.  Why the heck he never noticed that 3 gates would make a huge improve in cow flow?  Of course the cows have 0 interest in going in.  I know...3x only.  Have extra guys on shifts to get figured out.  New ones here did pretty good.  Main guy says he thinks way better than when we built the parlor 5 years ago.  Mixed them in other pens so they have guides.  Calving pen is ok..still need milk house and vacuum pump.  Neighbors place....man still slippery.  Cows are flighty too....he had some stray V few years ago and power co. got it fixed.  I guess we moved 100s of cows so of course crazy.  Just got in...845p again.  At least everyone is here.  Talked cattle guy and said we can get 1800 for 1st, 2nd, 3rd lac cows.   I didn't pay that....should we bag uncles and put some $ back into the LOC?  Spent some $ there but thinking we may lose alot next 4 months....

Merry Christmas!

And yep we said bag uncles.  Broker is picking 100 from here tomorrow for Canada.  Picked 1st set sat.  Picked all of the new fresh cows actually.  Easiest 300 per head i ever made!  Uncles place is just not what we thought.  Everything takes forever it feels like.  Milkers are already getting tired of dealing with it too.  Cows calmed down alot too.  But 109 head in 2 hours with 2 people for 70# is amazing bad.  We did (same parlor) 130 hd 1 guy 70# 2+ hr.  Way to much hassle for 100 head for 5 months till robots come.  If banker would commit...  So we are pausing.  Doing 1 part of the expansion and do a better job.  Feela like 1 of us is gone all day, like down a man.  Just wasting time here n there.  Trying to feed them etc.  Feel its better to cut our loses than lose for 5 months or have guys get burnt out.  

20171225_115133.jpg

5 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Merry Christmas!

And yep we said bag uncles.  Broker is picking 100 from here tomorrow for Canada.  Picked 1st set sat.  Picked all of the new fresh cows actually.  Easiest 300 per head i ever made!  Uncles place is just not what we thought.  Everything takes forever it feels like.  Milkers are already getting tired of dealing with it too.  Cows calmed down alot too.  But 109 head in 2 hours with 2 people for 70# is amazing bad.  We did (same parlor) 130 hd 1 guy 70# 2+ hr.  Way to much hassle for 100 head for 5 months till robots come.  If banker would commit...  So we are pausing.  Doing 1 part of the expansion and do a better job.  Feela like 1 of us is gone all day, like down a man.  Just wasting time here n there.  Trying to feed them etc.  Feel its better to cut our loses than lose for 5 months or have guys get burnt out.  

20171225_115133.jpg

Troy, Sounds as if you made some fast Christmas money, Maybe you should quite your 100+ hours/week job and buy/sell animals.

Sounds like you did the right thing Troy. You'll have some time to line things out right now. Merry Christmas!

6 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Merry Christmas!

20171225_115133.jpg

Smart move !

Well slept good since we decided to let some.hd go.  Uncles calmed down and going smooth.  Let high school kid milk alone.  Took 4 hrs, he was worried...i told him if he went in 2 id be worried.  4 is slow but you obviously were taking your time and doing things right.  Told his dad (delaval store manager/dairy kid) to let him know it was fine.

Culled 10 today, ones kinda on edge of beef list. Took to many serv to breed, higher dim,  they would be culled in 6 8 weeks anyway.  Here its .70c /# right now walking so better take advantage.  Canadian sale barns take 2 weeks off for year end and local cull sale is monday so 2 days are missed.  No slaughter plants in Canada so plant S a hour where we run em has been paying to try to keep plant running for full weeks.  Drying 15 tomorrow, bringing few from uncles here so we can ease the 90 in.  

I was thinking on my run to plant.  We could of backed out 2 weeks ago but since we said we would we did.  So we at least stuck with our handshake...all we had for contract...so thats good.  Well make it work.  Maternity at brothers be operational by weekend i think.  Funny since we said "sell em" we've had no "oh craps" and only few fresh cows.  Just steady

Crud....milker for 2nd place sick.  I got it no huge deal.  Power out since 3 yesterday.  Silver thaw bad.  Got there power on.  Switched to grid, took lights 3hr to come on.  Stepped in manure slot.  Guess what butt side hit edge?  Yowww.  Ashamed how mad i got the place is cursed.  Took 50min to get 100 cows in and scraped.  Nuts...

Today, silver thaw way worse,  30 30mph wind pouring rain.  Misery in several levels.  Power co thinks 2 days down.  Trees every where down, wires down.  1" on everything of ice.  Cows cant go till friday now.  Ugh

53 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Crud....milker for 2nd place sick.  I got it no huge deal.  Power out since 3 yesterday.  Silver thaw bad.  Got there power on.  Switched to grid, took lights 3hr to come on.  Stepped in manure slot.  Guess what butt side hit edge?  Yowww.  Ashamed how mad i got the place is cursed.  Took 50min to get 100 cows in and scraped.  Nuts...

Today, silver thaw way worse,  30 30mph wind pouring rain.  Misery in several levels.  Power co thinks 2 days down.  Trees every where down, wires down.  1" on everything of ice.  Cows cant go till friday now.  Ugh

so trite to say when it rains, it pours. we are just super cold here, thankful there is no snow or ice in the forecast. hope it gets better for you.

Cannot wait for the cows we sold to go!  Uncles place with no power and cold is killing us physically and mentally.  Flu going around guys sick.  Power out after rec silver thaw.  Power may be back tuesday.  Some say week, wouldnt surprise me.  Not a route without lines and poles down.  We got 2x4s propping wires up for trucks.  Whey guy came today...skid into grain augers.  Sun melts a tick then 20s make it very slick.  No damage but took a but to clear ice to even pull him onto road.  Exhausting it best word

Coming from uncles today...

20171231_093337.jpg

Power back, 75 hours, 3 generators.  Uncles place still out.  Only 4 customers on the road so not high priority.  Had 2 crews here from Oregon, they worked quick.  Very impressed at how much damage is fixed in 3 days.  East of us the main leg lost 13 poles.  Told friend....2 weeks.  They got poles out of way at least so the milk trucks and mixer could get to their 2nd farm.  They drug the milk truck though fields to farm sunday since they dumped milk fri and sat.

33 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Power back, 75 hours, 3 generators.  Uncles place still out.  Only 4 customers on the road so not high priority.  Had 2 crews here from Oregon, they worked quick.  Very impressed at how much damage is fixed in 3 days.  East of us the main leg lost 13 poles.  Told friend....2 weeks.  They got poles out of way at least so the milk trucks and mixer could get to their 2nd farm.  They drug the milk truck though fields to farm sunday since they dumped milk fri and sat.

Troy, Wow, Sorry about your struggle's., Nothing down south only up in Lynden area. Quite the war zone up in your area when I went through today. Dean VD  said Sumas might be  3+- weeks to get it cleaned up and going depending on crews. Not that you care right now took some cool photo's of misc. stuff with ice hanging of it. Ice stuff I"ve never seen before.

I do have a couple of augers at the farm if your in a pickle. 220 single phase. Anything  u need text me.

Man freezing rain stinks.  We get it here almost as much as snow.  Last big ones were 94, 02, 94 was the worst around here with a lot of rural areas without power for two weeks.  Snow is bad but ice is the worst.  Hang in there!!! 

Hang in there Troy. Gotta get better soon!

Uncles came on today... 100hrs.  BIG fuel bill coming.  Friends east were told maybe saturday they will get online.  BIGGER fuel bill.  Road N of us, pretty decent though a fare, still poles on it.  Dairy 1 mile east off the rd 1/4 mile lost 1 pole in field of their feeder lines.  Crew chief said 2 weeks hope to get to them.  Lots of crews around with unfamiliar names on doors.  By DeLaval yard they have forklifts, crosses, pallets of supplies,  stacks of poles, 10-12 truck rotating out.  Guys in restaurant parking lots sleeping in trucks mid day.  Light towers here n there at 5 am and still on 10pm.  They are earning their $.  Avg is $50/hr, plus overtime, then yesterday was holiday.  Some made 1500+++ yesterday!  Warmed to 34 all day and still now.  So at least softening up.  SLICK on ice patches/yards etc.  Found out today dairyman (smaller guy, just him and milker) and FIL of our breeder slipped Sunday, 15 stitches on back of head, MRI for skull damage, bed rest for few day required.  Not sure how he'll make it.  Tough guy though.  Daughters wedding friday to boot.  6 weeks.....very rare we get any real winter after Valentines Day.   Guy who was supposed to milk at uncles forgot this morning...I did it.  High school kid still out with flu.  So main guy did afternoon shift there and night guy came in earlier to finish here.  Like I said the place has jinxed us.  Friday morn should be last milking there.  16 days...what a waste of $.  But Vet said better to admit you were wrong than slog it out to 'show em' when you know better.  Feeder gone for next 4 days too, hope everything thaws and goes ok since we already feel like we are a man down. 

I'm prayin' for you Troy.

Life trials make you humble & stronger. 

We have COLD temps and a little snow.

Thanks

40s and wet, better than 20s and rain!

71 hd leave today.  Last shift at uncles now.  Have had more srvc calls there in 2 weeks than here in 6m.  So wore out.  He was on the "deferred maintenance" plan for a decade i believe.  So frustrating.  He said no prob everything ready....his ready and workable aint the same as ours!  Hope for solme peace soon and settle in.

Got all new cows home.  Sold 10 i think and 60 of mine.  Only take 60 dim ones.  Culled few new ones who did not like move.  Few all the sudden are falling apart.  They came in fine and seemed to be getting in the swing and...salmonella, pnumonia (3 or 4....  shipping fever?), 2 died literally out of no where.  Looked fine Tuesday, guys put in hosp pen tue night.  Looked like heck.  Died 7am.  Another died today.  Looked like normal pnumonia symptoms.  Gave antibiotics, 8 hr later looked worse, 6 hr later died.  If day 3 id accept a but easier.  But day 16.... head guy even ask "wth is going on here?".   Most look pretty good now, hope ones we move transition smooth.  Maj preg ones.  They are calm and quiet tonight so thats good.  Now...prices...

Man.....culled or lost 12 new cows.  Pnumonia, like nothing vet has seen.  Fine for 2 weeks and crash so fast you can't save em.  Worried what else they may be carrying.  We vacc for everything.  Going to vacc them with inforce, immune booster today.  What a mess.  I hate culling cows for stupid things we should be able to fix.  But 5 dead ones show 0 response to any antibiotic.  So if the cough we are loading them up asap.  What the heck were we thinking?  Cool wet weather aimt helping.  Vet is even shocked, esp since 0 of our cows are having problems.

Glad I’m not out there with the cough I’ve had for three weeks.....

10 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Man.....culled or lost 12 new cows.  Pnumonia, like nothing vet has seen.  Fine for 2 weeks and crash so fast you can't save em.  Worried what else they may be carrying.  We vacc for everything.  Going to vacc them with inforce, immune booster today.  What a mess.  I hate culling cows for stupid things we should be able to fix.  But 5 dead ones show 0 response to any antibiotic.  So if the cough we are loading them up asap.  What the heck were we thinking?  Cool wet weather aimt helping.  Vet is even shocked, esp since 0 of our cows are having problems.

Can you put your new cows in an isolation area? 

Have as many as can comfy fit in 1 pen but rest had to move to apro pens last weekend.  Treated 30-40 with Excede today and yesterday.  Culled 8-9 yesterday before too late.  Vet helped me this morning to help determine who wont make it.  Found out they had no vaccination program.  I should of asked, but dont know anyone who does not vacc cows with bovishield and L5 etc.  So vet is going to check for anything else to be safe it's not BVD or something.  What a disaster.  Looked good on paper and keeps getting worse and worse.  We also gave Inforce to 100 of them (all vet had in stock) to boost immunity.  Hope we are going up not down hill now.  

3 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Have as many as can comfy fit in 1 pen but rest had to move to apro pens last weekend.  Treated 30-40 with Excede today and yesterday.  Culled 8-9 yesterday before too late.  Vet helped me this morning to help determine who wont make it.  Found out they had no vaccination program.  I should of asked, but dont know anyone who does not vacc cows with bovishield and L5 etc.  So vet is going to check for anything else to be safe it's not BVD or something.  What a disaster.  Looked good on paper and keeps getting worse and worse.  We also gave Inforce to 100 of them (all vet had in stock) to boost immunity.  Hope we are going up not down hill now.  

I hope you pull through this ok. It’s gut wrenching being told everything is “ ready to roll” only to find out that nothing has seen anything resembling servicing or greasing, cows not bred, vaccines not given or any care outside of daily water and feed was ever done. Welcome to **** Troy! 7 months into it and the fires still burn hot, or is that my temper now?? Sid