Sign in to follow this  
TroyDairy

life in our corner

6 hours ago, Bdse25 said:

I’m just sitting here thinking. What happens after the truck picks up. I’m used to the driver turning on the wash cycle afterward. Do the robots have a little surge tank for cows milked during that time. Do they just not allow cows in while the tank is on wash cycle. Two bulk tanks?  Just wondering 

Yes, most set up so when truck comes robot washes system too.  2x a day they have to stop for washing.  And yes there is a buffer tsnk they call it.  Remember it only milks 1 cow at a time so 2 cow per unit would be milked 1 of their 2.7x a day milking as tank washes.  But yes you do have to let machine know a wash is going and to wait if that tank is full.  

Delaval est is 205000 per unit  for all stuff to be operational.  Like start up.  The "parlor" room stuff prob about 40000 for 2 units.  That is return lane, fencing, insulation, concrete, walls.  Yes labor drives mech..and state mandates.  When min wage is $15 by 2020 (or 2019) milkers will want 20 plus since fast food droids get 15.  20plus is not workable.  Plus the paid sick time for any reason stuff.  Buddy who self bottles spends 5/hr just for benefits he has to offer for obamacare.  His lowest guy cost him 22/hr.  Apple guys are pouring any extra into mech/robot harvesting now.  I took kids to mcDs other day.  They had 1 girl at counter, huge line, was odd, but a new 2 sided touch screen ordering unit sitting there with few at it.  Signs everywhere for app ordering then just sit and wait.  Thanks goverment for unemploying the min wage starting class.  Buddy has 1000 hd for sale of 3000.  Just b/c labor issues.

That is what govt is best at, screwing things up for everyone......except themselves.

Hmmm. I would love to meet this labor. Something tells me they are way overvaluing themselves. I have a few distant relatives that self bottle. Only milk 20 or so head. Just what they sell and they’re old and refuse to update or grow business. Got 10 hr helping there. Then worked at another dairy milking 75 ish. Switching out 22 at a time in tie stalls. 8/hr but as many hours as I could work. Not just a few here and there. Now working 25 hrs /week at sand quarry. About double the pay of the farm. I also run about 120 of my own. Make probably 3/hr if I figured it out lol. And go to Penn State full time. That costs me. 

My point . I don’t see how the people value themselves so highly. Especially knowing they will price themselves out of a job. The robots seem reasonable in price. I thought I had heard 500k each at one time. That would be a bit much. What kind of service costs do they bring with. Can you repair yourself or do they have proprietary software. Lifespan?  I really think they are the way to go. Let the cows decide when. No hitting or screaming. Very excited to follow this in your thread 

Just over the border there are delaval units pushing 20 years.  Its a machine...everything is replaceable.  7 year pay back not factoring cow longevity that genrally increases.  If you get 6 or 10 they drop 15k to 25k a unit quick.  Guy got qoute for 8, $130000 each.  Everyone i talk with who has them says they would not go back.  1 guy s of us has had issues, but he admits they were mostly cheap out self inflicted ones.  Just the serenity of no employee drama.  Guys who sell herds tell me the biggest relief is no worker to fret about.  Biggest thing with labor is they know they are few and far.  Several dairies i know are short a guy or 2.  So they know we need them and they have to be milked.  Robots for 1000 hd is big investment.  And not every barn can be remodeled for them.  Worse is with ag we can pay more and more but dont get PAID more.

Millenialls are flat lazy and too privledged to take work work jobs.  They are in moms basement waiting for the 100k job.  Then the last 7 years of Obama 390000 latinos were deported...most with out due process b/c they were told it was easier to just go home in the morning on the plane than spend months proving their green card.  Lie, if they were legal they could of totally.stayed and wemt though the process.  I do find it a bit preturbing my friend from scotland needs to show his green card to a law enforcement official at will.  Yet i dont.  Losing lots of mexicans made it very clear American youth...or adults..dont wanna work work.  Locally any blue collar industry is struggling to keep help....well find it.  If you have a cdl its  $20/hr day 1 if you show up.  Ready mix plant and grain co really struggle.  Long hours sometimes and you may get dirty.  Cement plant has retired guys coming in often since so many flake.  Good place to work too.  Fair pay, honest work, good bene.  Buddy at amazon says same thing.  20s are flat lazy.  Needs 60 guy in his office(they need 8000 in Seattle area alone), will interview at least 600 to find good ones.  45%...fail step 1.  Pee in cup.  Walk out door.  Also here with 425k avg homes and 1200/m for apt rents guys need way more than $10 a hour.  Hard balance, taking care of employees and building business.  And with milk forecast.....sigh....should look at them trucking jobs.  People dont give a crap aboit food producers anymore.   Look up mike rowes farmer video, makes you kinda sad how we are portrayed.  At least he gets it.

Wow we certainly don’t seem to have such a shortage around here. Most dairies can put up an ad in the local high school office and get some response. And judging by your set up your employees have a good employer. New parlor and everything works. It really is nice in a parlor. I’ve spent enough time around stanchions and tie stalls to say I would never milk that way.  I’m not sure how much labor you need because I think you do 3x. Everywhere I have been does 2x. Your also a big farm. Around here the biggest local is 170. Most are 60 -210 in this area. I would love to get into dairy after college but have no idea how I could. Building the facilities is super expensive and like I said I refuse to buy a place and milk in stanchions. Probably just stick with corn and beans and beef. It works good for us now. The other nice thing about the robots is that you can work more regular hours instead of being up at 3 am every day in order to have a life and see family at night. 

Another question. What if a robot goes down. Would you be big enough that the others could pick up the slack. Or need to buy 1 extra and always have less going through them all. I had often thought 200 head 3 robots would be nice around here. But would you need a 4 th to cover any breakdowns. 

By the way I’m only 19 and it’s scary the people who im growing up with. You should sit in on some of my classes. In sociology we discussed a family. 22 yo mom. 6 kids. Gets pregnant every time boyfriend is out of prison. 3rd generation in local homeless shelter. Grandma mom daughter and now her kids too. 

Teacher asked class what the problem was. Apparently hereditary laziness was wrong... sigh 

just a interesting note on the labor market, on our recent trips we have seen an increase in the number of touch screen stations for ordering with one cashier roving. Monday in the Seattle airport the McDonalds had three of the these stations and they worked well. and how many of us have been through the self check out lane at the local box store?  Now we are seeing the phone applications that allow you to scan and do all your shopping, pay with a credit card, and then show the gal at the door (you literally never use a cashier)  This is an example of the government pricing the entry level employees out of the market. Why have an employee when you do not need to?

Regarding the Boots at the dairy? after seeing them at Tulare and then watching the interface and data collection I have no doubt which way the industry is going.  The market will slowly switch to having just a few employees that do most of the jobs and get paid a higher wage, the next step will be robot feeders

Robots that push-up feed are already available

1 hour ago, SNERLAND said:

Robots that push-up feed are already available

next thing you know they will fill the mixer to the mix ratio, and haul it 

I have browsed the internet and by my best calculation delaval could build a farm you could check in on every three days. Not sure if this is really the way of the future but one things for sure despite what anyone wants or says. Automation and getting bigger will continue and it’s best to embrace it now than fight it and play catch up later. 

I think this idea is still going to need skilled labor for heard health and maintenance and repair. But the days of someone who just pushes feed all day will come to an end

Yep.  If we'd full robot we'd keep 2 best guys of 6.  They would get stubborn cows, clean units 2x a day, rake stalls, bed stalls etc.

Several robot feed pushers locally.  Good reports, but they cannot go from one barn to another yet. I see Polaris is showing off a autonomous ranger.  That with a blade on frt would be hot.  Lely and Joz and 1 other have full autonomous feeding robots.  1 unit in MN....wasnt impressed with the story on the results.  Guy in canada near by has another brand.  I missed the open house.  Canadian guys with bots now run shuttle conveyors (jameway, patz) over center of head to head stalls...load hopper on end with sawdust an bedd stalls with out disturbing cows.  Just rake fresh sawdust back 2x a day.

Found this....wow 1000 robot feeders 

https://www.agweb.com/mobile/article/robotic-tmr-mixers-naa-dairy-today-guest-editor/

Forgot these.  Local ag advocacy group holds the Farming Circle for 3rd graders.  Talks about soul n water managment/health, potato, milk, berry productio .  Good project.  I helped for afternoon.

Last 1 is friend from churchs.  Unloading 580000 tons of salf from Brazil for DOT road salt.  24h a day till all 4 were off loaded.  His fil co has contract to stock the snow sheds for dot.  We dont use as much as back east but iirc its 1 bucket for 4 buckets sand when applied to hiway

20171102_124518.jpg

20171102_124522.jpg

20171102_124526.jpg

20171102_132011.jpg

IMG_20171106_150443313.jpg

Nice Grimme harvester there, Never have too many of those around this area. Just got back from N Dakota, Minnesota  and Chicago . Obama had Jury duty so nice traffic jam going on there. 

1 hour ago, 806 man said:

Nice Grimme harvester there, Never have too many of those around this area. Just got back from N Dakota, Minnesota  and Chicago . Obama had Jury duty so nice traffic jam going on there. 

Within 50 miles of me and didn’t want to visit? Lol

Guy from public school ffa program called.  They have barn at school for project animals.  I haul out manure (just dirty sawdust) 2- 3x a year for kids.  90% of ffa kids live in town so if they have steer or goat etc they stay at school.

20171108_125059.jpg

20171108_125056.jpg

On 11/8/2017 at 10:59 PM, jass1660 said:

Within 50 miles of me and didn’t want to visit? Lol

Sorry, It was a fast trip, no time for chit chat with flights to catch to limit driving time

State Farm Bureau meeting.  Membership up a shade.  Mainly since we made it easier to renew imo.  

20171114_112402.jpg

Ouch...guy did not get orchard covers off before he got snow.  Its shade for apples so they dont sunburn.  Total loss.  Broke all trees and trellises.

imagejpeg_0.jpg

How much snow did you get Troy? That really sucks for that guy....

1 hour ago, NY1468 said:

How much snow did you get Troy? That really sucks for that guy....

We got about 2" last Friday.  Gone by monday.  This was near Yakima WA.  4.5 hrs s and east....huge tree fruit region.  Friend sells this product to guys.  Shade, bird nets, week cover, reflection paper etc.  I thought he said they got like a inch and bang.  Wetter early season stuff, wonder what it wt per foot?  Then X 40 acres.  Was his customers block....

6 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

State Farm Bureau meeting.  Membership up a shade.  Mainly since we made it easier to renew imo.  

20171114_112402.jpg

Ouch...guy did not get orchard covers off before he got snow.  Its shade for apples so they dont sunburn.  Total loss.  Broke all trees and trellises.

imagejpeg_0.jpg

Between the shade cloth, trees supports and wire where do you begin?

That does look like a horrible mess...

Story of my life....

20171117_140150.jpg

7 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Story of my life....

20171117_140150.jpg

Be well practiced if you run for political office...

Aint that the truth.

Helped brother a little with new "barn" on back of shop.  Just for yard stuff and 4h calves.  We have old trusses from when we tore down another barn that he is using.  Borrow some forms and bought some post.  Pouring monday, walls, post holes.  Floor prob wed thur.  Be a building by weekend.  

20171118_155136.jpg

"Down the end of this barrel, but it'll be coming out faster than you can read"

1 hour ago, Dave Shepard said:

"Down the end of this barrel, but it'll be coming out faster than you can read"

Amen