Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curious George

Torque amplifier 101

If a tractor is advertised as having the TA out what are the choices? Replace it, I suppose.

Is there a system to stick something in there to by pass it, which I guess would also bypass half your speeds?

If a TA is out is the tractor totally immobile?

george,

The TA has two ranges, high range and low range. If it goes out it can go out on only the low range, it can go out only on the high range and it can go completly out.

The cost to replace the TA is in the $2000.00 range. There is a TA elimination kit you can purchase. :o

hope this helps,

Dave

Usually the low side is out. You can leave it in the high side and use it (the high side) all you want if this is the case. Some tractors are T/A-less and have a shaft instead. My 1206 is this way.

Jason

If a tractor is advertised as having the TA out what are the choices? Replace it, I suppose.

Is there a system to stick something in there to by pass it, which I guess would also bypass half your speeds?

I wouldn't get too upset about a T/A being out as it is a pretty common problem.

Thousands of IH tractors are run every day with the t/a gone.

Unless you are going to use the tractor for something that would require more speed selections or are looking at a 15 series with only a 3 speed transmission to start with I wouldn't worry about missing it.

Those tractors are getting pretty long in the tooth so expect a lot of other problems as well.

As far as the cost of repair....

Depending on the "grade" of replacement T/A prices will vary and remember the repair will not be "permanent".....if you keep and use the tractor long enough, eventually it will fail again.

These prices are all "list" prices and you should be able to get substancially better deals...but at least it will give you a idea on the cost of the T/A itself.

Std $600.00

HD $660.00

Super Duty $866.67

T/A Eliminator Kit $460.00

Doc

I wouldn't get too upset about a T/A being out as it is a pretty common problem.

Thousands of IH tractors are run every day with the t/a gone.

Unless you are going to use the tractor for something that would require more speed selections or are looking at a 15 series with only a 3 speed transmission to start with I wouldn't worry about missing it.

Those tractors are getting pretty long in the tooth so expect a lot of other problems as well.

As far as the cost of repair....

Depending on the "grade" of replacement T/A prices will vary and remember the repair will not be "permanent".....if you keep and use the tractor long enough, eventually it will fail again.

These prices are all "list" prices and you should be able to get substancially better deals...but at least it will give you a idea on the cost of the T/A itself.

Std $600.00

HD $660.00

Super Duty $866.67

T/A Eliminator Kit $460.00

Doc

A local tractor jockey told me several years ago when he was at a 3 day sale in south Texas that they came to the IH tractors and the auctioneer said we are selling these tractors with the understanding the TA is out!! If the TA works we will let U know when we come to that tractor

my 886 never had a t/a ,after having a t/a go out we decided it would be smart to get the 886 t/a delete ,so that is what my grandad did. i dont miss it .lots of straight shaft 86 series here .most of the t/a"s that fail arent replaced.

I just finished a job puting a TA back in a 1486 which was eliminated last year. the owner uses it to haul manure and mix feed, without the TA it required alot more shifting gears on the speed transmission. I think most everyone would agree the least amout of shifting gears on these tractors the better off you are.