Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tcmtech

-28F this morning. Who's had it worse and where this winter?

Well my wife had to go back to work today so this morning she decided that she needed to take my pickup being some white snow like dust was on everything when she went out. :rolleyes:

Anyway I got a an earful after she came back in about why my pickup wouldn't start but her car would when I saw -27.8F on our digital thermometer. :o

FYI. I put a oversized battery and cables plus new heater core in her car two winters ago so it's guaranteed to start at any temp and stay warm inside whereas my pickup still has the stock cables and a battery I know is getting weak so that only I can start and use it when it gets this cold. That's why hers starts and mine don't. ;):P

So with that who's seen it colder this winter?

At 0800 today in North Texas it was around +24F and dry.

Seriously doubt the 464 with the D179 would start without a snort of gas... too cold for any tractor operations anyway.

Will be a perfect day in the high 40's-- cold for this area but glad to be here.

It is winter!

well i was gonna say grand forks nd. until i saw the poster...yup. ND

well i was gonna say grand forks nd. until i saw the poster...yup. ND

I'm expecting someone from Canada will have me beat but not too many others from the US side of the border. :P

-27 in Mandan ND this am......it might be a few days before i head back to the corn field and finish combining. Sitting in the house doing paper work all morning where its warm, should go to town and finish christmas shopping. FP

-27 in Mandan ND this am......it might be a few days before i head back to the corn field and finish combining. Sitting in the house doing paper work all morning where its warm, should go to town and finish christmas shopping. FP 28 below here this morning. my wife puts her car inside my Yukon sits on the driveway started up after a few turns this morning even has a 4 year old napa battery in it. no block heater was a certified used vehicle from Michigan so never had a heater. we are going to try some corn up here on Friday and Saturday when it warms up. been hauling hay the last couple weeks always fun in the snow. We were down in Bismarck on Saturday finishing Christmas stuff avoided minot all together and headed south. I was surprised at the corn and sunflowers left down in your area you guys were a lot earlier this spring.

dale560 there is still a lot of corn out in the fields yet. There is a few flower fields left but i think they colected insurance on them and they wont be harvested. I was doing some custom combining wheat in mid november for a neighbor that was planted in july :D

FP

Ain't got you beat, we have see -23 here a couple of days so far but not -27. Was -20 this morning. 90 miles south east of Fargo ND on the MN side.

Rick

I saw -34 here in the very early hours of the morning but it has since "warmed up" to nearly -10F. Unfortunately we are worse off than ever because the wind got up strong enough to give wind chill factor of -40 and worse. Not a fit day to be out, and I'm not.

yep very cold here too and very windy, was in regina today (capital city of the province for you southern gents) was minus 37c this morning and a 50k wind, visibility was about 1/2 mile. well at least I never got a mosquito bite......dieselman.

by the way, merry Christmas ( if that is still politically correct ) to everyone and hope you all have a happy and healthy new year......dieselman.

So is this how you guys freeze dry your corn? :huh:

no we just got behind and it is still wet. no elevator wants to here anything of corn and it is still wet yet.

We only got down to -5 this morning so I guess we are having an Indian summer! :huh:

-9F right now which still feels noticeably warmer than it did this morning. B)

Now the forecast says we might swing up into the mid +20's to mid +30's for next week. ^_^

We had it down in the -27 range last week, supposed to be -10 or so the next couple days. Not complaining because my power just came back on after being off for last 3 days because of ice storm. A lot of tree and utility damage but no where near as bad as '91 or '98. Oh well, its just a typical winter here in NNY

Hi: Greetings from Western Manitoba. Temp on the truck themometer was -39C, this morning on the road for coffee. The wind -chill would add about another 5 degrees. -40 is about the same on both the C and F scales. It should be warmer tomorrow, but we will likely get more snow. It is -22C right now. CardaleBob

+39 this morning and rain. weather man promises the cold snap is on its way.

Just to warm the cockles - - -

We're promised about +45C later this week (OZ), to add to an already raging drought too.

At least cold starting isn't a problem. Two X Landcruiser batteries will start an AC 45 grader and equivalent gear no problem.

Keeping them cool requires work though.

Well 24 hours later it's now +28 F ! :rolleyes:

Guess it means I can work in my shop or move snow or do other outside work to day. :P

We had it down in the -27 range last week, supposed to be -10 or so the next couple days. Not complaining because my power just came back on after being off for last 3 days because of ice storm. A lot of tree and utility damage but no where near as bad as '91 or '98. Oh well, its just a typical winter here in NNY

Wondered how you were fairing down there Chris. We had maybe 1/2-3/4" of ice and then more sugar snow on top of that. Never lost power though- we are very thankful for that. Got the generators out ahead of time just to be safe. Cold weather expected here again for the next few days ( probably coming from ND! :( ).

We still have 27 acres of corn left to do ourselves. With the snow, ice, and hard crust it doesn't look like we will get it anytime soon. We haven't been this late for many, many years.

Merry Christmas from the last frontier. Got a balmy -26* this morning witch seems about right.

Earlier this month I was in Prudhoe Bay on the north slope, well over 200 miles over the arctic circle, it was warmer than a co workers parents house in northern Arizona.

That just isn't right!

We bumped -29.4F last night about 9PM. It's about +8 now. 3:15 PM.

Rick

Coldest I've seen here in the Texas panhandle so far has been 2F. But it was 70F two days later.

People here think they have tough winters. Recently, I mentioned to somebody I had just met, that I grew up in Minnesota and lived in North Dakota for 15 years. He said, well, it's pretty much the same weather. :rolleyes: