Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

farmallman77

What do you Haul your Tractor on?

I just purchased a Farmall H and I want to be able to haul it.

I am also going to purchase a newer truck. Im going from a 94 F150 straight 6 to a Chevy 1500 (probably 2WD) 5.3 L V8.

Will I be able to safely pull my Farmall H with the truck?

Most importantly I am looking into getting a trailer. There are so many options out there. I just want to be sure of the info before I bought one.

I was going to get a 10,000 LB. trailer. I want a deckover, it would be a tandem. I want to be able to get a Farmall H on there with a loader on it and I will also be hauling a little genius sometimes. Should I get a 20' or an 18'?

Please post pics of your hauling rigs and trailers if you would.

Thanks

Chris

i would definitely thing that if you are talking a trailer that big, you should be thinking a bigger truck. while that half ton might just pull it it is going to be a terrible strain on it. keep in mind what an H weighs. if the H is the biggest thing you are going to tow size your trailer for the H. every extra pound you add to your trailer adds up in a hurry. don't be fooled by the 5.3 it is a good engine but those half ton trucks usually are geared at 3.42 by the time you ad a 3500lb trailer to a 4500-5000 lb tractor that is one stout tug for all those little half tone parts. our 4 ton equipment trailer weighs 2500 but those deck-over trailers are heavy as crap! i haul my M with our dump truck and our 10 ton beaver tail trailer, with the wheels turned inside out on the M it will fit on the smaller trailer but i like to have them farther out and it wont quite clear the fenders....close but not quite. my advice would be that if you are serious about towing. get a bigger truck! i have a 2007 Chevy 2500hd with a 6.0 and 4:10 gears my next truck is going to be a diesel because i just don't feel the gassers adequate for my towing needs. remember even if a half ton truck advertises huge towing capacities they rarely offer many models with them and they are still a half ton truck.

I wont be hauling much stuff and I dont want to chuck out the gas money for the bigger truck. I would haul the tractor (which would be the heaviest thing I would haul) to a couple shows a year maybe.

Chris

An H weighs in at about 4000 Lbs. With dry tires and one set of wheel weights. I've had one on a 7000gvw landscape trailer before without problems with an older Dodge 1500 (V8).

I agree with VT85 that a 10,000Lb deckover would be a bit much, an H with wheels dished in and pulled in tight is less than 80" and will fit on a variety of trailers.

This is what I hauled my tractor on when I brought it home.

1185431_10200691994079228_803994334_n_zp

It is my buddy's trailer. I will have to ask him the specs on it.

My concern is that my dads H is wider than mine. Its right around 82 inches. I think that if I got one with removable fenders that I would be able to get his on there.

If I got a 7000 LB trailer with brakes on both axles and pulled it with the same chevy 1500 truck do you think I would be okay?

Thanks

Chris

Here the trailer I used most recently to haul my H. Trailer was only 83 inches wide. So not enough room for both tractor and Little Genius. The trailer belongs to a neighbor who's 3 miles from me.

null_zps26ee1bf5.jpg

Here is the trailer I used to haul tractors to Red Power Roundup. This trailer lives 30 miles from me.

null_zps36e0327b.jpg

Loaded with tractors.

null_zps54701d45.jpg

The truck is my 2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins. Years ago a family friend hauled my H with his '99 Chevy 1500 extended cab 4X4, with the 5300 and 3.73 gears, but he's got an extra leaf spring in the truck. It didn't seem to lack power. Trailer was a 18 foot car hauler.

Now that I've hauled with both bumper pull and gooseneck, I much prefer the gooseneck. :)

I just talked to him.

Its 18ft. It has 2 3500lb axles on it with a brake on the rear axle.

I think Im going to go this route.

Dad has a 10-20 so I would get the wood bed.

Chris

3500 * 2 = 7000

An H weighs about 4000, so you trailer can't weigh more than 3000 empty or you'll be exceeding the capacity of the axles.

duh. what else. however you notice i had to stop and get a s**tload of straps. luckily the store is 6 blocks awaypost-68134-0-71280700-1380067858_thumb.j

sorry bj. had to go back and edit my potty word. shame on me

3500 * 2 = 7000

An H weighs about 4000, so you trailer can't weigh more than 3000 empty or you'll be exceeding the capacity of the axles.

The trailer Im lookin at weighs right around the 2000 so I will be good I believe.

Chris

D1CA6D82-F1B0-48B4-9ED9-6776C6B43E98-243

062C6D23-D659-4F1C-A456-432F35812964-561

Well with us it just depends on how many tractors we are hauling and how far we are going. In September every year we go to Penns Cave in Centre Hall Pa for probably one of the biggest shows in Pa. We make one trip with 3 different vehicles to get there. Our trailer collection includes a 25ft Interstate 10 ton capacity 102" wide lowboy. A 25ft PJ gooseneck with 7000lb axles. It is a 102" wide deck over trailer. A 20ft PJ car type trailer with 5000lb axles. It has a setup similar to what you used to haul your H home with and is 7ft between the fenders.

The lowboy is pulled with the 87' Kenworth, the gooseneck with dad's 05 2500HD with a Duramax and the car type trailer we pull with either his pickup or my 06 Sierra 1500 with the 5.3Liter. Going to Penns Cave is a trip of roughly 60 miles one way and I use the car trailer behind my pickup to take tractors to the show. Last year I pulled our Farmall B and our Cub as well as 2 Cub Cadets. All 4 tractors had wheel weights on them and Cub and B have loaded rear tires. With the tractors and the trailer I was pulling about 7700lb total. My truck handled the load just fine but I would not have wanted any more I don't believe with our PA mountains. One thing I would reccomend as a must if you go with a 1/2 ton truck is to get a trailer with BOTH axles braking. We have no choice here as PA law requires two axle traillers to have 2 braking axles. Pulling is not a problem with a 1/2 ton but stopping can be. The car trailer alone weighs 2200lbs and is licensed for 10000lb. I have also regularly hauled our pulling H to a show a little closer with the car trailer and my pickup. The H loaded with weights for pulling weighs in at around 5400lbs adn it WILL fit between the fenders with the hubs dished out and slid to the inside of the axle about 2 inches from the axle housing with 13.6-38 rubber on it. My truck has no real issues on the flats with it but it can work it a little in the hills.

Having said all that and knowing that a 1/2 tom will get the job done let me just say this. Get a 3/4 ton diesel and don't look back. I say this only because my dad's 05 Duramax is CHEAPER to run per mile whether hauling a trailer or not compared to my truck. With the price of fuel I have figured out that my truck cost's about 30 cents a mile with my mileage. My dad's diesel will run for about 27 cents a mile considering the price of fuel and mileage. If you add up those savings over the life of the vehicle they would cover the increased cost of maintenance parts. And if you ever wanted to haul something bigger you got the vehicle to do it. Plus the security knowing that there is more truck ahead of what you are pulling.

I found a pic of what our trailer looks like. I don't have a picture of our trailer but it looks the same only it's RED!

Under edit I guess you did ask for a picture of our rides. Heres a pic of my truck.

post-43405-0-98345800-1380075285_thumb.j

post-43405-0-63333800-1380071615_thumb.j

2-14 little genius is 900 lbs. I still say you need a higher capacity trailer.

you should be careful none the less, once you overheat your trans...you are done. I hear you on the gas mileage thing I would love another half ton...gear it down, use tow haul and don't be in a hurry, keep a close eye on your engine temp, remember it doesn't take much at all to overdo it especially when you are at the outer limits of your tow rating, my 07 half ton had a tow rating of 7500 lbs, let me tell ya that was ALL it wanted.

IHCubguy. you have the same trailer as me.

Cool! How do you like it? We have ours optioned out to make it heavier than the standard PJ C5. Has 5200lb axles and the ramps that slide in from the passenger side at the back under the trailer for transport. We have had ours WAYYYY over loaded and it took it all in stride. It sits at the farm tonite with our New Holland L175 skid loader on it to go in for service work tomorrow.

Cool! How do you like it? We have ours optioned out to make it heavier than the standard PJ C5. Has 5200lb axles and the ramps that slide in from the passenger side at the back under the trailer for transport. We have had ours WAYYYY over loaded and it took it all in stride. It sits at the farm tonite with our New Holland L175 skid loader on it to go in for service work tomorrow.

5000lb axles on my wee trailer. one of the best trailers ive had. with colorado weather and salty roads its held up well. never been painted. replaced one board in the deck because a small accident.

i love how it pulls behind my terra now that i use an eq hitch. added an elec winch. now it gets used to load up the occasional Heep after they have a bad day of wheelin

you should be careful none the less, once you overheat your trans...you are done. I hear you on the gas mileage thing I would love another half ton...gear it down, use tow haul and don't be in a hurry, keep a close eye on your engine temp, remember it doesn't take much at all to overdo it especially when you are at the outer limits of your tow rating, my 07 half ton had a tow rating of 7500 lbs, let me tell ya that was ALL it wanted.

I completely agree with you on that. If I run it out of tow haul mode it will cruise down the road on flat or gently rolling ground with the trailer behind it at 60mph and about 1500 rpm. I usually keep it in tow haul though and it runs around 2000rpm at about the same road speed. Even in the hills on down shifts I've never had it go over 3300rpm to conquer them. I would love a 3/4 ton but I just cannot afford the initial cost of one to get a decent truck. For as much as I use the trailer behind my 1500 it should last a long time as I keep an eye on the gauges and keep all the fluids and filters changed regularly.

5000lb axles on my wee trailer. one of the best trailers ive had. with colorado weather and salty roads its held up well. never been painted. replaced one board in the deck because a small accident.

i love how it pulls behind my terra now that i use an eq hitch. added an elec winch. now it gets used to load up the occasional Heep after they have a bad day of wheelin

We bought ours cause we were so impressed with our gooseneck when we bought it that when we decided to get the car type we didn't even look at anything else. Did you have to move the jack in order to get the weight distributing hitch on? We wanted to put the one on that we have but the frame thats welded on in center of the hitch for the jack fell right at the same place where the equalizer bar would have been. Because of that we just watch how we load things and keep the weight so its centered between the truck and trailer even.

IHCubguy, no instead of moving the jack i made longer eq bars. i have a short set. a long set. and a unmodified set. the only trailer i can use the unmodified ones on is my 12ft canned ham.

im also famous for installing gooseneck hitches in scout terras. theres a crossmember that sits almost over the rear axle. so i just bolt on 1/4in plate from the back of that support to about six inches in front and it allows a sturdy ball to be attached.

it allows me to bring home more "tractors" on the back of a scout

post-68134-0-04551200-1380075290_thumb.j

Please make sure you can stop.guys always say how much they loaded on their trailer.out here in Wyoming these fellas will do anything. I saw a guy hauling a freightliner and pulling it with a 1/2ton pickup. Axles bowed out. For safety sake get a proper rig..my wife and kids are on the road in front of you. Oh and get the proper load rated tires.

What 504 posted, that is the ticket for a half ton. It will work fine and be very handy. If you can afford it.

With a bumper pull, you will spend a lot of time getting the load centered to keep the tongue weight acceptable. Especially with a plow accompaniment.

What 504 posted, that is the ticket for a half ton. It will work fine and be very handy. If you can afford it.

With a bumper pull, you will spend a lot of time getting the load centered to keep the tongue weight acceptable. Especially with a plow accompaniment.

In a shorter trailer that may work. That size gooseneck is almost all the load a 1/2 ton will want before you put anything on it. Farmall 504 can answer this but I would bet if thats about a 25ft trailer then it weighs around 5200 emtpy. Our PJ gooseneck is almost identical to that and I would never even consider hooking that to my 1/2 ton. Centering a bumper pull load ain't that hard at all to do with a little practice.