Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TP from Central PA

88 Guys...........What size tires you running?

16 posts in this topic

Curious as to what size rubber most of you guys have on yours. One here has 18.4x38's on it, and it seems like even with duals, it wants to remove itself from the bonds of earth through wheel slip...........Granted it doesn't have no added weight since for a lot of jobs I don't want it, but on others its a pain wanting to spin holes when drawbar loads increase. Thinking about going up to 18.4x42's, but finding good 42's here for duals would be a problem since it seems like most here have just accepted 38's :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: , not to mention it won't be a cheap deal with new inner rubber, step-up rims, dual rims, and hopefully used tires for those. Anyone else have this issue? I run rows with it, so we have to keep it on 18.4's. 42's help in this case?

My 5488 mfd has 18.4x42's and it could use 20.8 x42's .

Danny

My 5488 has 20.8 x38's . I put 20/42's on 1586 and that made it a whole new horse, If I was going to use the 54 in tillage it would have 42's.

Curious as to what size rubber most of you guys have on yours. One here has 18.4x38's on it, and it seems like even with duals, it wants to remove itself from the bonds of earth through wheel slip...........Granted it doesn't have no added weight since for a lot of jobs I don't want it, but on others its a pain wanting to spin holes when drawbar loads increase. Thinking about going up to 18.4x42's, but finding good 42's here for duals would be a problem since it seems like most here have just accepted 38's :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: , not to mention it won't be a cheap deal with new inner rubber, step-up rims, dual rims, and hopefully used tires for those. Anyone else have this issue? I run rows with it, so we have to keep it on 18.4's. 42's help in this case?

If you can't find reasonably priced duals try tire town out of kansas. They offer factory second tires for half the price of the firsts.

Without proper ballast, changing tire size won't help much with high draft loads. If you don't want a lot of weight maby a front wheel assist would be better.

on my 5288 I run 18-42 with duals.

Duane

My 50 had 18.4x42's with duals when I bought it. I would like to find a set of 11.00x16's to put on front to go with them because the 10.00's seem a little small.

We have 18.4R-42s on a 2wd 5488, and it really surprises me how well it will hook up as long as the soil is dry. We run the tractor in 30" rows quite a bit, or else I think it would be better with 20.8s and some more weight. 18.4-38 duals pretty much max out their ability to hold power in about the 1086 /5088 area, IMHO. Or if you really want to make something happen, get yourself some 650 or 710 metric duals and about 4000# more ballast :D

I have 20.8-42's on mine. I plant on 30 inch rows and also spray with it. It really makes you focus while spraying beans. As far as traction goes, it does well until you get to a heavy drawbar load. This is with no added ballast on the rear. It probably needs about 1500# on back. I wish i had 18.4's when spraying though.

I would be careful in mud or tacky dirt to the 20.8-42 are really close to the fenders. You could wipe them off real easy

Mike

Or if you really want to make something happen, get yourself some 650 or 710 metric duals and about 4000# more ballast :D

Now that sounds like the start to a good story!!!! :lol::lol: :lol: :lol::lol::lol:

Tyler we have 18.4-42 Dyna Grip radials duals on our Magnum and I HATE THEM! Our 1270 Case had 20.8-38 Firestone Traction Field and Road bias ply's and it would pull worlds better than the magnum. Would love to go back to them or switch to 20.8-42's when we need to change tires, which won't be long from now.

Tyler we have 18.4-42 Dyna Grip radials duals on our Magnum and I HATE THEM! Our 1270 Case had 20.8-38 Firestone Traction Field and Road bias ply's and it would pull worlds better than the magnum. Would love to go back to them or switch to 20.8-42's when we need to change tires, which won't be long from now.

Why don't you put 18.4-42 Firestones on it? Not sure what we are doing here yet, maybe nothing, just keep the 18.4x38's on it and buy another tractor :lol::lol::lol: :lol: :lol::lol: BUT, it looks like it would definitely help in our case going bigger.

20.8 x 38's on the 5488 2wd and it has more power than traction most of the time. the 5488 mfd we put 18.4 x 42's on it for planting and weighted down pretty good it runs fairly well. But i agree that if you wanted to do mainly tillage, then 20.8 x 42's would be the ticket for the best traction and less wheel slip. I think the key is weighting the tractor like the other said.