Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EquipmentJunkie

Cabela's Tractors?

29 posts in this topic

Yes, Cabela's brand tractors. I saw the press release & interview in Rural Lifestyle News this morning. Here is a link to the tractor page on Cabela's website:

http://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categoryId=378150480&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat382651380

The tractors look like re-badged TYM machines...but only dark green with tan wheels and camo decals. I know that it doesn't make sense for all you folks to buy your compact tractors at Cabela's. (Cabela's is currently looking to hire two techs in Fort Worth, TX so it sounds like addressing the service end is being attempted.) However, given their market, will it work?

Yes, Cabela's brand tractors. I saw the press release & interview in Rural Lifestyle News this morning. Here is a link to the tractor page on Cabela's website:

http://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categoryId=378150480&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat382651380

The tractors look like re-badged TYM machines...but only dark green with tan wheels and camo decals. I know that it doesn't make sense for all you folks to buy your compact tractors at Cabela's. (Cabela's is currently looking to hire two techs in Fort Worth, TX so it sounds like addressing the service end is being attempted.) However, given their market, will it work?

It will probably end up like the MINOT branded tractors from TSC.

Does look a bit like a TYM. I doubt they will sell very many. When you need parts and service you want full dealer support.

post-64610-0-61399700-1378902550.jpg

Targetted for the cidiots with their food plots.

One of the downsides that I see, is that with the camoflauge paint, the cidiot will park it, and NOT be able to find it again.

Given all the camoflauge crap that Cabela's peddles for your "well-dressed and well equipped" hunter, it makes a person wonder how the old-timers ever managed to come home with any game, without having camoflauged toilet paper, flashlights, blankets, Thermos bottles, underwear, and the dozens of other "must haves" that they stock.

Their target market is city folks in the upper mid income bracket or higher. So my guess is they will sell some because a lot of them like showing of brand names that generally cost a little more. I can see it now, the burbs on a Saturday morning with all these Cabela's tractors mowing postage stamp lawns, that is the guys who do manage to find them after taking em to the hunting property to do food plots. It will go right along with their 500 dollar cammies and 2000 dollar shotguns. Guess next will be skid steers with the Cabela name on it.

Rick

Their target market is city folks in the upper mid income bracket or higher. So my guess is they will sell some because a lot of them like showing of brand names that generally cost a little more. I can see it now, the burbs on a Saturday morning with all these Cabela's tractors mowing postage stamp lawns, that is the guys who do manage to find them after taking em to the hunting property to do food plots. It will go right along with their 500 dollar cammies and 2000 dollar shotguns. Guess next will be skid steers with the Cabela name on it.

Rick

I thought that was JD's target market for their SCUT's?

I lurk at a website (for comic relief) dedicated to as Art calls them, the "Cidiots" who have paid the price of admission into ownership and it's UNBELIEVABLE. They pay from $20,000 to $40,000 for their toys and finance them so much a month, and then cry when they break them while trying to dig out stumps with the available backhoes, etc.

That's one thing I have to give my one neighbor credit for, when he retired as a salesman from the local short line dealership when it closed 5 yrs ago he wanted a backhoe to play with, remove some brush & trees, and do a little landscaping around his house. He bought a used JD #710 TLB that was traded for a newer model by a large construction co. Yes, it had a bunch of hours on it, but was used, not abused, and it can do some amazing things compared to these expensive toys.

Once again, I MUST state that I cannot take credit for the term "cidiot". However, my descriptive terms about the worthless, know it all, trash of the media, are mine, and mine alone.

One of the downsides that I see, is that with the camoflauge paint, the cidiot will park it, and NOT be able to find it again.

Given all the camoflauge crap that Cabela's peddles for your "well-dressed and well equipped" hunter, it makes a person wonder how the old-timers ever managed to come home with any game, without having camoflauged toilet paper, flashlights, blankets, Thermos bottles, underwear, and the dozens of other "must haves" that they stock.

Agree with you 100% on the "hunters".

Rick

I thought that was JD's target market for their SCUT's?

I lurk at a website (for comic relief) dedicated to as Art calls them, the "Cidiots" who have paid the price of admission into ownership and it's UNBELIEVABLE. They pay from $20,000 to $40,000 for their toys and finance them so much a month, and then cry when they break them while trying to dig out stumps with the available backhoes, etc.

That's one thing I have to give my one neighbor credit for, when he retired as a salesman from the local short line dealership when it closed 5 yrs ago he wanted a backhoe to play with, remove some brush & trees, and do a little landscaping around his house. He bought a used JD #710 TLB that was traded for a newer model by a large construction co. Yes, it had a bunch of hours on it, but was used, not abused, and it can do some amazing things compared to these expensive toys.

LOL well JD has a little competition then :P . With the Lake shore people and the guys with hunting land up here I can see some of them buying those. Heck most of em drive right by Cabela's in Rogers MN, just off of I94 right on the way up here.

Rick

Rick

Agree with you 100% on the "hunters".

Hahaha. I have an uncle in northern WI, hardcore houndsman. He runs coyotes, bear, bobcat, wolf and anything else he can. Hunts deer with both bow and gun and waterfowl hunts too. I'm 34 years old and I have never seen him wear an ounce of camouflage. He has no problem getting his game.

RICK - Yes, but with that shiny green/yellow paint comes the status of "Having Bought the Best because I paid the most."

Had a good chuckle the other day, guy posted pic's of his 2600# 45 HP lawn mower with FWA, cab w/heat & A/C scattered in pieces in his dealer's service bay having the range transmission rebuilt with only 30-35 hours on the clock. Warrantee of course. Cute little tractor, but I wonder how well it'll be running in another 59 & 62 years like My '51 M & '54 Super H. The M has had the engine rebuilt twice, and Dad & I had to split and go into the rearend & transmission twice, 43 & 48 yrs ago, but the Super H has NEVER been touched, never had the head or oil pan off, probably only had the rearend oil changed once or twice in it's whole life. The old IH letter series may be crude machines by today's stanards, but they're as reliable as ANY machine ever made.

I'm not hijacking, but to add to what Dr.Evil said. When he spoke of his H and M, I want to think it was that 'generation' of tractors no matter the color. My BIL has the JD 'A' that my FIL bought new in 1948 when he started farming. It's never been touched, and probably runs as good today as it did 60+ plus years ago. My grandfathers VAC Case while not a workhorse by todays standards, has cultivated a few thousand acres 2 rows at a time, and has worn out a half dozen hay rakes, and it starts on the first revolution. For 10 years or so it was my job to feed cattle with a Super H morning and night. In that time it got new oil when needed, and fresh antifreeze each winter.

It's hard to beat any of that generation, no matter the color.

Sorry if I got off topic.

RICK - Yes, but with that shiny green/yellow paint comes the status of "Having Bought the Best because I paid the most."

Had a good chuckle the other day, guy posted pic's of his 2600# 45 HP lawn mower with FWA, cab w/heat & A/C scattered in pieces in his dealer's service bay having the range transmission rebuilt with only 30-35 hours on the clock. Warrantee of course. Cute little tractor, but I wonder how well it'll be running in another 59 & 62 years like My '51 M & '54 Super H. The M has had the engine rebuilt twice, and Dad & I had to split and go into the rearend & transmission twice, 43 & 48 yrs ago, but the Super H has NEVER been touched, never had the head or oil pan off, probably only had the rearend oil changed once or twice in it's whole life. The old IH letter series may be crude machines by today's stanards, but they're as reliable as ANY machine ever made.

LOL that's true. We are right in the middle of what's known as the "Heart Of The Lakes" area of MN. See a lot of the shiney CUTs here. Tourism is a major deal here. The "summer" people (ones with summer lake shore homes) are funny to watch. One will buy a 3500 dollar zero turn so the guy next door goes and buys a 4K one. Watched one guy a couple of years ago buy a 7,800 buck TORO zero turn cause then he could mow his grass in less that an hour. I know where his summer home is, more like less than 15 minutes. No they will not be running in 50 years. The companies will stop making parts for them unless you get something like a JD or Kubota. Some of the are kinda cute, looks just like a real tractor only lots smaller. I'm pretty color blind when it comes to tractors. Gotta be the right price and not known for any major reoccurring problems. I'm not knocking the durability of the older tractors,

sometimes simple is good.

Casey you should see it here. The guys from the cities setting at the bars at night bragging about their hunt wearing 300-500 camo jackets with purpose built duck boats with boarding ramps for their dogs and 70 HP motors hanging off the back. Then go out and watch em shoot. Bet they fire 5 rounds for every goose they kill. Surprising more of em don't shoot each other. They should spend some time on the trap range before season opens.

Rick

I would never buy a tractor from Cabela's, Where would you go for service!?!? It's a box store!!! Wait a minute...... Some city slicker will buy it to work a field plot because it has the "Cabelas" name on it. It's probably overpriced just like all of this high tech hunting gear they sell.

I would never buy a tractor from Cabela's, Where would you go for service!?!? It's a box store!!! Wait a minute...... Some city slicker will buy it to work a field plot because it has the "Cabelas" name on it. It's probably overpriced just like all of this high tech hunting gear they sell.

That pretty much sums it up!

Rick

Oh I believe you Rick. Same effect here in SD when pheasant season opens. Out of staters pour in, drop endless money at Cabelas, Scheels and many small local stores. My wife raises springer spaniels and she always makes sure to have a few ready to go pheasant opener. Put an ad on craigslist the week before and the dogs are all spoken for before the week is over, all get picked up Friday night just in time for opener on Saturday!

Let em pay too much for a light crappy 50 hp tractor that I can pull backwards with an F-14 from 1938! I hope one of those shows up a tractor pull sometime! Problem is we usually don't have anyone lighter than 5000lbs.!

Let em pay too much for a light crappy 50 hp tractor that I can pull backwards with an F-14 from 1938! I hope one of those shows up a tractor pull sometime! Problem is we usually don't have anyone lighter than 5000lbs.!

LOL that's why pulls have nothing for me. I wanna take a M1 tank to a pull! Not only will I out pull anything there, I'll burn the paint off the front of the sled! The exhaust temps are hot. The Germans were use to following M60 tanks in convoy and tail gating. When they tired that with the M1's we melted plastic grills and blistered the pain on their hoods! We did a field exercise in the desert at Ft Bliss. We ran low on diesel but the M1 will burn about anything. The airfield had a bunch of contaminated JP8 (no longer safe for flight)that they needed to get rid of. Was cheaper for them to give it to us than to go the EPA route and dispose of it. The M1 has a smoke generator system that sprays raw fuel into the exhaust. With diesel it makes a big white cloud of smoke. With JP8 a 30 foot flame!

Rick

Cool story ol tanker!

LOL that's true. We are right in the middle of what's known as the "Heart Of The Lakes" area of MN. See a lot of the shiney CUTs here. Tourism is a major deal here. The "summer" people (ones with summer lake shore homes) are funny to watch. One will buy a 3500 dollar zero turn so the guy next door goes and buys a 4K one. Watched one guy a couple of years ago buy a 7,800 buck TORO zero turn cause then he could mow his grass in less that an hour. I know where his summer home is, more like less than 15 minutes. No they will not be running in 50 years. The companies will stop making parts for them unless you get something like a JD or Kubota. Some of the are kinda cute, looks just like a real tractor only lots smaller. I'm pretty color blind when it comes to tractors. Gotta be the right price and not known for any major reoccurring problems. I'm not knocking the durability of the older tractors,

sometimes simple is good.

Casey you should see it here. The guys from the cities setting at the bars at night bragging about their hunt wearing 300-500 camo jackets with purpose built duck boats with boarding ramps for their dogs and 70 HP motors hanging off the back. Then go out and watch em shoot. Bet they fire 5 rounds for every goose they kill. Surprising more of em don't shoot each other. They should spend some time on the trap range before season opens.

Rick

One positive side to the lakers buying the latest and greatest mowers and such to compete against their neighbors is when the sell their stuff. You can get a good deal on some nice stuff. Friend of mine got a larger cub cadet mower for free because the owner didnt realize the drive belt was junk and thought the whole tractor was bad.

LOL that's why pulls have nothing for me. I wanna take a M1 tank to a pull! Not only will I out pull anything there, I'll burn the paint off the front of the sled! The exhaust temps are hot. The Germans were use to following M60 tanks in convoy and tail gating. When they tired that with the M1's we melted plastic grills and blistered the pain on their hoods! We did a field exercise in the desert at Ft Bliss. We ran low on diesel but the M1 will burn about anything. The airfield had a bunch of contaminated JP8 (no longer safe for flight)that they needed to get rid of. Was cheaper for them to give it to us than to go the EPA route and dispose of it. The M1 has a smoke generator system that sprays raw fuel into the exhaust. With diesel it makes a big white cloud of smoke. With JP8 a 30 foot flame!

Rick

If you snoop around You-Tube enough you can see tanks & tank recovery vehicles pulling a pulling sled. The problem is that the heaviest class in NPTA now is 10,000# IIRC, the semi's weight 20,000# but since they're trucks I won;t count them. Try to get an M1A1 down to 10,000# :lol::P:D

Sadly, the few people that buy have no clue that your equipment is no better than the Dealer support behind it. I assume the business plan is when someone needs repair a local service center will pick up tractor, haul it for miles and bring it back days or weeks later when repaired ?Same plan as Cub Cadet, Deere etc. use for lawn equipment sold thru big box stores.

So the guy buys his new tractor and wants to change the oil. He stops at the Cabelas to ask where the oil drain plug is...the clerk looks back with blank stare and says, "I don't know but I can show you the neat hunting boots we have on sale today.

:D Dr Evil, would have to have a lot of torch time to make that M1A1 shed 60,000 pounds :P .

Bill, you got that right :lol: yep let me see dem boots B)

Rick

Sadly, the few people that buy have no clue that your equipment is no better than the Dealer support behind it. I assume the business plan is when someone needs repair a local service center will pick up tractor, haul it for miles and bring it back days or weeks later when repaired ?Same plan as Cub Cadet, Deere etc. use for lawn equipment sold thru big box stores.

So the guy buys his new tractor and wants to change the oil. He stops at the Cabelas to ask where the oil drain plug is...the clerk looks back with blank stare and says, "I don't know but I can show you the neat hunting boots we have on sale today.

By the time the tractor gets enough hours on it for an oil change it will be obsolete.