Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Farmall504#20

Tractor of the week #5 (The INTERNATIONAL 1086) 1976 to 1981.

I've had my 1086 since the early 90s. other than the 2+2's, it is the one I use when I want to make sure whatever i'm hooking onto will move. it has been a real workhorse.

attachicon.gif100_1880.JPG

attachicon.gifmz nab mower.jpg

Nice 1086. How do like the open rops cab Bill? I ran a 1086 like that for my neighbor and loved that tractor. That open rops cab was a great tractor to drive all day. His has no windshield. Great to listen to that straight pipe roar while plowing.

mine had no windshield when I bought it. the glass came out of a 186. without the glass, it got pretty chilly under the roof on windy spring and fall days. the glass cured that to a large extent. quieted the engine noise too. the 1086 does most all the mowing, and it is perfect for that.

86 series IH: I think the left hand "sure grind" transmission controls were the best. Especially when it got hung in two gears, or when it was stuck in the Park/Reverse gate. Following close behind were the spectacular T/A that we finally wired into high to avoid more repair. Backwards opening doors were neat. The wonderful leaning front spindles that wore out the outside of the front tires were a real treat. The round pipe front axles were a joke, not to mention the ball and socket bolster. The starter under the floorboard was a particularly handy location. The fuel tank in the rear was perfect for the elderly and good for everyone to get their clothes filthy when refueling while you stood on the lift arms. The rigid steering column must have been comfy for some engineer, but nobody else. I also like the humungous engine oil fill and the teeny hydraulic oil fill, I always thought that was backwards. (they continued this family tradition into the Magnums) 33-3788 2+2s should also be lumped into the 86 series nightmares. I would take a Deere 4430 any day of the week. It was laid out MUCH more conveniently. I have logged thousand of hours on both. We had both all through the 80s and nobody preferred the red one, ever. I love magnums, but not 86 series.

Having said all that, I always liked the engines. They would practically always start. I also liked that they were fast on the highway.

It is great to hear all of the comments on some good old iron.

I am in the process of restoring a 1981 model 1586

Does anyone have any original photos for reference of decal s /locations?

HOLY COW, that's me driving Danny's 1086 # 1 in the YouTube video! At this year's RPRU during the daily tractor parade in front of the grandstand. Danny was just ahead of me on his 5388! lol, how cool.

What a tremendous thrill it was to drive that 1086! Thanks again Danny!

Rick G.

post-43866-0-86036200-1376543372_thumb.j

Another photo of Danny's 1086 driven by Redpower1456.

post-43866-0-10518500-1376543477_thumb.j

Here is a few pics of my 1086 before it's rebuild started.. One of 30 US built 1086's down here in NZ

20121119_173430_zpsd0bf34ec.jpg

20121119_173444_zps0607f9ea.jpg

025_zps17506515.jpg

Brett

It is great to hear all of the comments on some good old iron.

I am in the process of restoring a 1981 model 1586

Does anyone have any original photos for reference of decal s /locations?

I have many pictures of the decals and where they go if you are needing info.

Brett

I was hoping to see some "B" series 1086s on here from our friends down under??

Matt

mUPwPk3Y8VXndhvFr_jPGJA.jpg

HOLY COW, that's me driving Danny's 1086 # 1 in the YouTube video! At this year's RPRU during the daily tractor parade in front of the grandstand. Danny was just ahead of me on his 5388! lol, how cool.

What a tremendous thrill it was to drive that 1086! Thanks again Danny!

Rick G.

Any pics of your 1086 Rick, it is VERY nice!

Shawn, I sold the 10' remember. I still have pics of it somewhere on the computer, just have to find them. If I find them, I'll post a couple here. I really don't want to be reminded of it by looking at pictures of it though, lol.... Nuts. But what could I do, not farming any more so had to let it go. That was last summer, 2012.

All I got left is the 1456 and the 1466.

Rick.

I was hoping to see some "B" series 1086s on here from our friends down under??

Matt

X2 on that, pictures of 1086 series B tractors are hard to find. I would really love to see some

I think this is actually a 986 but still neat

bb_zps980e621f.jpg

Brett

Martin,

Thanks so much for the pics. I am saving them.

Rick G.

86 series IH: I think the left hand "sure grind" transmission controls were the best. Especially when it got hung in two gears, or when it was stuck in the Park/Reverse gate. Following close behind were the spectacular T/A that we finally wired into high to avoid more repair. Backwards opening doors were neat. The wonderful leaning front spindles that wore out the outside of the front tires were a real treat. The round pipe front axles were a joke, not to mention the ball and socket bolster. The starter under the floorboard was a particularly handy location. The fuel tank in the rear was perfect for the elderly and good for everyone to get their clothes filthy when refueling while you stood on the lift arms. The rigid steering column must have been comfy for some engineer, but nobody else. I also like the humungous engine oil fill and the teeny hydraulic oil fill, I always thought that was backwards. (they continued this family tradition into the Magnums) 33-3788 2+2s should also be lumped into the 86 series nightmares. I would take a Deere 4430 any day of the week. It was laid out MUCH more conveniently. I have logged thousand of hours on both. We had both all through the 80s and nobody preferred the red one, ever. I love magnums, but not 86 series.

Having said all that, I always liked the engines. They would practically always start. I also liked that they were fast on the highway.

I concur on most of your points my friend. Doors, levers, ...big deal. Grinding gear gets old fast. Radials really helped the ride. Never got the leaning spindles and the starters were really dumb location. But....They were tough and there are tons still working.

Here is my 1086. I bought it at a farm auction about 7 years ago. Runs good. I use it mostly as a yard tractor and on the module builder at cotton harvest time. Just before the sale they said that the renters kids who lived on the place shot out the windshield and one door glass. I took the rest of the glass out and to use on the module builder I rigged up an old school rope and pulley set up to control the throttle from the module builder operator station. Works good. I don't have to listen to the engine scream between cotton dumps. I notice some of the guys are complaining about this tractor riding rough. I believe I read somewhere where the optimum riding position on a vehicle is if you were to draw a cross from tire to tire where the lines meet in the center would be the most optimum riding position. And of course, these 86 series are correct except you can't get right on the cross hairs. What other tractor built today still has the operator sitting over the back axle? That's not to say there is nothing to complain about on this cab. My brother bought a new 986 and rust through happened on the cab before the warranty was up. They gave him a new top and side skin for the cab. It seems all of these companies build equipment for looks instead of function. Just like the auto companies of the day they couldn't help themselves -- they had to put vinyl over that back band on the roof. Of course it got water behind it and rusted it out. However, this is IH's first cab where they got it right and put a firewall in it and fully separated the cab from the tractor chassis.

th_CottonHarvest1086ModuleB_zpsda836224.

I agree..... these are some Ole school Work horses . I have a 1980 Model Bought it at a Local consignment sale a few years back she is a Testament to the IH legacy ..... " If you look after me, I`ll look after You " have show`n " Her " pictures here before an She has done a good pile of work so far .

HP

post-64654-0-74049900-1376743176_thumb.j

I agree..... these are some Ole school Work horses . I have a 1980 Model Bought it at a Local consignment sale a few years back she is a Testament to the IH legacy ..... " If you look after me, I`ll look after You " have show`n " Her " pictures here before an She has done a good pile of work so far .

HP

Strong looking Tractor Hotplug. How many hours ?

Being a mechanic,(yes, not a tech) I always liked working on the 86 series better than the earlier models that had cabs. I think I took two cabs off an 86 in my life and one was to replace after a roll over and other a building fell on it . You can split it either end and leave it stand. Lot of squatting but you can do it without having an overhead and do it all in one bay of the shop. . I had to take those dam cabs off hundreds of 66 series. Had to do it outside unless it had the hinged fish house style. Then all those home grow year around , hiniker and cozy cabs with their messed up wiring harness hanging all over the place. Working under that mid mount fuel tank to get at the engine starting with the 560. Far as the doors, and shift levers, could have been made much better. Lot of guys like the direction they opened though. One early customer showed me how easy it was to reach inside the right hand door and use the hydraulic levers when hooking up and working on his implements. Others cussed when the magnum came with only one door. Can't please every one, that is why they sell white and dark bread also.

HP

Strong looking Tractor Hotplug. How many hours ?

5927 Hrs showing ...... But really who knows .... I have put around 700 Hrs. on this Custom mowing an an she runs great !! Still look`n for transfercase parts But other than that she`s a great ol`e Work Horse of her Era .

HP