Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Farmall504#20

Tractor of the week #5 (The INTERNATIONAL 1086) 1976 to 1981.

This weeks Tractor of the week is the

INTERNATIONAL 1086

1976 - 1981

So post your photos and memories of another Great tractor produced by

IH.

1150335_10151632804894543_345703361_n.jp

1086 owned by Danny Anderson (Dirtboyz)

the 86 series tractors did a lot of work on US and other countries but to me leave the least "boy I'd like to have one to keep" feeling.

Rough riding, hard to enter and exit the cab. I'd rather use a Red deluxe cab 66 any day of the week! I had several over the years and am just as glad they are gone.

So DIRTBOYZ got it! My Buddy was making a parts run for some parts for an Allis D12 he was restoring back then and said he saw that tractor on the lot at a dealer in eastern Iowa.

post-27-0-33957300-1376227522_thumb.jpg

After you break your arm shifting them, you can double the pleasure getting hung up on the shifters getting out ending up in a twisted fall, then you receive a head injury when the door hits you during the ride down to a hard landing on the ground.

They work, but like the other poster said, they aren't the machine that makes me drop my mouth open and start drooling.

Surprised to see this model on the "tractor of the week" list. Seems most people despise the 86 series.

I will admit they do have there draw backs, but with a K&M cylinder on the door, and an air ride seat added, I like my 1086. I also have a Deere 4430 that is the same year and I prefer to drive the IH.

I've posted this picture before, but here it is again. It had the 88 paint scheme when I bought it (about 10 years ago, but I liked it so it stayed that way.

post-488-0-91317100-1376228130_thumb.jpg

This is our 1979 1086 red power one of the best tractors we had put one clutch and ta in it in the 11 years we had it. Kinda wish we still had it.

MD7140post-9317-0-82623300-1376228435_thumb.jp

Hey Matt , thanks for putting the 10 out there. Dr Evil , the tractor did come from Maqokata , Dewitt Ia , it has just over 6000 hrs on it . I use it every fall to haul corn or beans to town and then it spends the rest of the time on the show tour for you guys to enjoy. I can also feel the pain of riding these for my lifetime , the K&M step kit, door kit and the air ride seat is a must, oh and one more thing the transmission brake kit from Hy Cap then your set.

Danny

DANNY - Think it was at Dague's right? Not sure how it ended up there but glad you have it now! It's in good hands! Looks like new!

Funny how some people cuss the 86-series getting in & out. I cuss the 30 & 40 series JD's.

the 86 series tractors did a lot of work on US and other countries but to me leave the least "boy I'd like to have one to keep" feeling.

Rough riding, hard to enter and exit the cab. I'd rather use a Red deluxe cab 66 any day of the week! I had several over the years and am just as glad they are gone.

Those old 66 series with the "deluxe dog house cabs" were the pits to run a Hesston wagon on as you could not see out the back and the AC condenser took a ladder to clean and a socket wrench and a handful of little bolts. purchased the 1086 right after they came out and loved it. could see out the back window on Hesston and lots better vision and easy to keep AC condenser clean

Truth of the matter in the 986 size the problem of entry and exit from the cab was not sorted out until the MX120 came along. That tractor is a joy to get in and out of. Similarly for the 1486 and 1586 the problem wasn't sorted out until the Magnum came along. They are also a joy to get in and out of.

The tractor came from Kunau's when the first guy traded it in and Dauge's on the second owner sold it and retired, we got it in the spring of 2009. I have been trying to find the guy that had it originally and found out he passed away last summer but his son farmed with him and is maybe still in the area.

This is just a guess but I think after IH was done with it after the introduction a dealer from the area bought it out of Hinsdale and sold it to the original owner. Hope I can find them someday it would be fun to know the story and get some pictures with the son .

Out of 47,420 of these built I would have to say they where a good tractor for there day.

Danny

Funny how some people cuss the 86-series getting in & out. I cuss the 30 & 40 series JD's.

Those POS cabs up until the 6/7/8000's were worse, just laid out better once you got in them. IH 88's would have been really good for the era if they would have hung the door right.

i have an if video about the IH 1086 but i didnt post it on the forums yet

This tractor belongs to my neighbors. My oldest firend who owned it was killed 5 years ago and his wife and kids still keep a small beef herd. I run the 1086 in the fall to run the 2 row picker for them and plant corn with their 886 and planter in the spring.

Sam

008.jpg

011.jpg

both of my grandpas had brand new 1086s when they came out and both wished they kept the 1066s. I never heard either one of them say anything good about them

0305003338-l.jpg

First big IH I drove was a 1086 with the 4 post open cab owned by my neighbor. Learned to plow and chisel plow with it and round bale also. That tractor pulled a 5-18 John Deere 2600 plow and a 9 shank Disc Chisel Taylor I think. Pulled the 5-18 plow like nothing. You knew the 9 Shank Disc Chisel was behind you but pulled it in Low 4 with TA Handle back. I really like to use that tractor. Rear end went out when I was plowing during the fall of 2004 has not been fixed yet.

That tractor screamed with the straight pipe, sounded mean!!!!

1086rightside.jpg

21ttt197.jpg

21ttt196.jpg

21ttt198.jpg

21ttt199.jpg21ttt11.jpg21ttt12.jpg

21ttt135.jpg

21ttt195.jpg

21ttt13.jpg