Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

czech

Ford Diesel Pickups

When did Ford stop using International V8 diesels in there pickups?

2011 and up. the 6.7 scorpion. last diesel was the 6.4 powerstroke. a good diesel known as the maxxforce7 killed by ford emission equipment. i think it was 2011. not sure.

also not sure if you meant IH diesels or Navi diesels. the only ih diesel was the 6.9 before ih sold off the ag line and changed their name if i remember right

Warranty disputes between Navistar and FORD, The 6.0 and 6.4 both IH engines had much more than average claims. I did not hear how the lawsuit between Ford and IH shook out but that was the main issue that caused the termination of the diesel engine manufacturing agreement. I would have to assume that corporate Ford also wanted more of the profit from the sales of each diesel pickup. Kind of sad that IH lost that business, the new Ford 6.7 diesels are built in Mexico.

They will probably be Cummins before too long. I have heard on more than one occasion that Ford owns them.

ford doesnt own cummins. only way to own them would to buy 51% of their shares. only vehicle ford has a cummins in right now is the f650. and as far as i know navistar still builds their large trucks

They will probably be Cummins before too long. I have heard on more than one occasion that Ford owns them.

Total BS!

Ive had a 2011 6.7 and now have a 2013 6.7. Best engine in a Ford yet, IMO

Total BS!

AGREED Total BS, Ford has never owned Cummins, If you use simple logic for more than a moment you will understand that this is false. Why would Ford buy engines from Navistar if they "owned Cummins" ???? This would be like GM buying Toyota engines for cars they build.. Ford and Kubota were at one time minority stock holders (under 8%)of Cummins INC. Ford at that time was building class 8 semis (along with the lighter trucks) and the shares helped insure availibility of the large engines. It has been well over 20 years ago that Ford sold off its Cummins stock. The "FORD own Cummins" story has been around long enough to take on a life of its own for the uninformed.

It does appear that Ford has a winner with the 6.7 diesel engine. Should be a combo that helps them stay on the top of HD pickup sales.

Gonzo and SMiller are correct. This came across my desk the other day...

http://turbodiesel.cumminsnewsletters.com/2013/05/fact-or-fiction-ford-owns-cummins

On a slightly different note, it is ironic that Ram sticks with the Cummins powerplant for their trucks despite producing their own 6.7-liter FPT (Fiat Powertrain) engine that was co-developed with Cummins. The value and reputation of a brand is important.

I like my old 7.3 PSD in my '96 F250. When I semi-retired it eight yrs ago I figured it would become a money pit but it still runs as good as always.

That being said, if I was in the market for a new diesel 3/4 or 1-ton p/u it would be a Dodge.. or more correctly a RAM. Last night on NTPA Pulling on RFD-TV they had the 4WD diesel p/u pull from Bowling Green, Ohio last summer. Old news to many of you but they were almost ALL Ram's pulling. Just one Chevy and one Ford, and they were Cummins powered. Sheid's truck won BTW. No surprise there.

I own a pair of Dodge Cummins pickups, and they have been good for me. But I would question your decision to buy a Ram Cummins truck (instead of a Ford) because the NTPA pullers win with the Cummins. That would be like deciding that a Mustang was a good street car because John Force fuel funnycars win races. :P:D

Bad comparison Gonzo. The mustang is a good street car!!! Hahahahaha

I kid I kid.

Who needs to do homework now ? :P:D:lol:

Total BS!

This would be like GM buying Toyota engines for cars they build..

Actually, GM did use Honda engines in the 04+ Theta platforms (Saturn Vue, Equinox, Torrent, etc) GM calls it the L66 motor, but in reality it's a Honda J3A53 platform.

Far outperformed the 03 offering in mileage, power and reliability. And I have an 03.

I stand corrected on the analogy I made, My mom had a 1980 something Chevy Nova, and it was actually a Toyota Civic. Maybe a better example would be John Deere buying Cummins engines when they make engines themselves...... OH wait, JD did use Cummins engines.

I believe that at one time, 10-15 years ago, Ford did have a partial interest in Cummins. IIRC, the rumor was that Dodge's contract with Cummins was ending, and Ford was interested in the in-line 6.

As it is, Cummins engines are available in the F-650 and up Ford medium duty trucks, just as Caterpillar Detroit Diesel, and Cummins were optional in IH medium and HD trucks.

New Ford F650 Standard Features

•10-gallon DEF tank

•12-volt, 185-amp alternator

•45-gallon fuel tank capacity

•Air conditioning

•Body builders wiring at back of cab at frame

•Brakes - Quadraulic™ 4-channel Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS)

•Chrome grille

•Chrome-steel front bumper (full-width)

•Engine - 6.7L Cummins® Turbo Diesel (ISB 200 HP)

•Frame-mounted front-end tilting fiberglass hood and fender assembly with torsion-bar assist (includes integral noise shield, inner splash shields and mud flaps)

•Mirrors - Dual rectangular, 7.5-in. x 16.5-in. stainless steel, West Coast-style, with 102-in. spacing

•Motorcraft® 12-volt, 625-CCA batteries (2)

•Roof clearance lamps

•STEMCO® wheel seals

•Transmission - Allison 2500 Series wide-ratio 5-speed automatic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total BS!

This would be like GM buying Toyota engines for cars they build..

Actually, GM did use Honda engines in the 04+ Theta platforms (Saturn Vue, Equinox, Torrent, etc) GM calls it the L66 motor, but in reality it's a Honda J3A53 platform.

Far outperformed the 03 offering in mileage, power and reliability. And I have an 03.

Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix are the same vehicle. The NUMMI plant in CA was GM/Toyota.

I do recall the Toyota-Chevrolet joint venture. The cars were named TOYLETS :lol:

I own a pair of Dodge Cummins pickups, and they have been good for me. But I would question your decision to buy a Ram Cummins truck (instead of a Ford) because the NTPA pullers win with the Cummins. That would be like deciding that a Mustang was a good street car because John Force fuel funnycars win races. :P:D

There's more to the decision to look into the RAM next time after owning Ford p/u's for 33 yrs. Things like the fact the Ram is the only p/u available with a manual trans anymore. Don't really care for Ram's 4WD system, too used to Ford's manual hubs & manual T-case after all these years. And they're cheaper than the GM or Ford, but just as nice inside & out. And they typically get a bit better MPG than the other two brands, but maybe that's more in the way they're ran. And I wish Ram still built their trucks in the US of A, not Mexico, but I'd rather have trucks coming across the border than thousands of illegal aliens.

I don't think there's ANYTHING made by FMC in any of Force's cars, except his tow-back van he uses at the track.

I saw a post here about when the RAM was going to start using DEF, is that in '14 or '15? Just another expense, like fuel, tires, brakes, license & insurance.

DEF in all of the 2013 and up Diesel Pickups, We dont have a choice anymore. Although the guys that are running GM-and Fords with DEF seem to get along with it well. Supposed to improve MPGs