Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tractorshark

magnum experience needed

On our 7140 we have been having issues with it starting up and shutting off, we cleaned the grounds on the battery and by the solinoid--no change, then we changed the shutoff solinoid itself and now it won't pull in, but it holds, and sometimes it doesn't hold either. Has anyone had these issues, and if so how where they fixed? As always TIA.

Mark

Check the voltage to the solenoid?

I don't know if this is related- My ex-7220 more often than not would not want to quit running once the key was shut off. It would want to continue to lope or "Diesel" until it finally decided to quit when it felt like it.

I had my local CIH dealer make a house call to fix the problem. Got a nice repair bill, but same problem still continued. I was a bit pissed at having spent money and problem not fixed. (It was several weeks between the time they were out to "fix" it and the next time I ran the tractor as I recall.) I resorted to leaving the tractor in gear and letting up on the "clutch" while also applying the brakes to "kill" the engine after that. I never used the tractor much, so that's why I probably never got them back out to try again to fix it, just let up on clutch while braking with trans in gear to kill the engine. For someone who uses their tractor a lot, I would imagine this would quickly become an annoying issue.

Rick G.

There was a solenoid update kit that only the 1993 models had from the factory. I have had both of my 1992 models solenoids updated to the new positive lever type for on - off control. I am not sure this is your problem but the story I heard about why they were updated sounds an awful lot like your story. Actually my local dealer converted most of the pre 1993 models he sold.

When you turn the key to the (on position) do both the upper and lower displays in the dash zero out or does the top one display ACC? If the top one reads ACC check the following;

#1 check the number 4 fuse

#2 check the cab power relay

#3 check the junction block where it comes thru the cab floor (the primary source of a lot of cab fires)

#4 check to make sure there is 12v on pin 37 of the connector at the instrument cluster leave hooked up and back probe to check

We have the exact same problem on our 7140. Last year the dealership mechanic came out and replaced the solenoid. Couple weeks later it did the same thing so he assumed it was a bad solenoid and replaced it again. Worked fine all fall but this spring it is doing the same thing again. So we still don't know what the fix is. Keep us posted if you get it fixed.

If you guys are saying that you can start the tractor most of the time, but it will shutoff right away once you let off the key....then do the things CIHTech has mentioned above. Our problem was not the selenoid, it was the "Stud" that went through the cab floor on the right hand lower corner. It provides power and when corroded it will not make a solid connection to keep the fuel selenoid kicked in after trying to start the tractor. The other items are common causes also that should be checked, but sounds like you have changed the selenoid.

there is a solenoid in the cab. It is actually the same solenoid as the 86-88 tractors use for cab solenoids. They are what causes this problem. The new ones from CaseIH are china made junk. 1 out 5 are good. I have new prestolites on hand and have had zero problems since throwing the china junk out the window.

Mike

It is usually a pretty simple fix but once in a while you get one that does not adhere to normal diagnosis. I had a 7130 give me fits last year. The over ride plays into the system and it gets it 's ground through the instrument cluster. After spending a whole lot of time with test lights and meters hooked up while checking, I determined on that one if you turned the key to start very slowly to start it would not power up the hold in winding. If I turned the key with a quick normal motion, it worked fine. Had a brother of the owner who teachs electronics on truck and tractors study the situation and could not give me an answers I had not already tried. I slipped a instrument cluster in from another tractor, by passed the cab relay, by passed the fuses and relays that fed it to no avail. So, we just turned key fast and the way it went, down the road.

there is a solenoid in the cab. It is actually the same solenoid as the 86-88 tractors use for cab solenoids. They are what causes this problem. The new ones from CaseIH are china made junk. 1 out 5 are good. I have new prestolites on hand and have had zero problems since throwing the china junk out the window.

Mike

Our parts manager won't sell the chinese solenoids anymore, we stock the Prestolites and have had zero problems with them.

Pretty bad when 4 brand new solenoids wouldn't pass a simple bench test without a load just an ohm meter.

Mike

Our parts manager won't sell the chinese solenoids anymore, we stock the Prestolites and have had zero problems with them.

Pretty bad when 4 brand new solenoids wouldn't pass a simple bench test without a load just an ohm meter.

Yep and the sentry modules are just as bad!!! I'm likeing that part though. Selling the heck out of the NOS and reman modules because of china made junk as well!!!!!!

Mike

Mike

I agree with you Uncle Mikey, I had this same problem once.

This is the solenoid in lower R/H corner behind the console about where the operators manual goes??

Heath

Mike

I agree with you Uncle Mikey, I had this same problem once.

This is the solenoid in lower R/H corner behind the console about where the operators manual goes??

Heath

Yes.