Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldiron29

TD-6 Got stuck steering clutch out how to open it?

21 posts in this topic

Guy's, Got my head back form the shop and installed it. Got the stuck steering clutch out. Now how do you open it, any tricks? Thanks for any help. oldiron29

post-60834-0-71299600-1359935222_thumb.j

To get the clutch discs out. I can't get the cover plate off. Thinking I need to make a puller with some treaded rod and pull it off? Will it come apart easyer if I remove the shaft first? Thanks oldiron29

Gorden76, Thanks for the pages out of your manual. I have a reprint manual and I do not have all the pictures you have. They must condense them down that why they are so cheep. I will have to keep my eyes open for a real IH manual. Thanks oldiron29

This probly isn't what you want to hear, but I had to bust one clutch drum up w/a BFH to get the usable fiber disks out...soaked it in diesel for about 6 months, got the cover off but there was no way the disks were coming out, the steel ones were rusted into a solid mass. The compartment on that one was full of a packrat's nest-seat stuffing, pine cones, dog food, cactus, dead mice, you name it...nasty! The tractor sat for about 10 years in pieces. I of course located another drum before I took to that one w/the hammer...

Finally! Got a post to work! Damned updates, anyway!

I have not got it apart yet! may be have time this week end. oldiron29

Try soaking it in a bucket of Evaporust. That stuff really works to dissolve rust and doesn't hurt non ferrous metals or fibers. It is also non toxic. First non toxic thing I have tried that really worked!! :lol:
It is not cheap, but it is cheaper than all new fiber discs. I buy it at Harbor Freight and use the 20% off coupons.

http://www.evaporust.com/evaporust.html?gclid=CMG1nuGzpLUCFQ-e4Aodbj8AwQ

By nature the packs are so thick that not much will ever work deep inside the plates to the inner hub. Acids only touched the outer exposed surfaces when I tried that. Electrolysis should only affect the outer conducting surface as well, but we didn't test it. In my case it was the drums that had to be saved because new plates were available.

I used my press and pushed them apart on my TD20.

John

Wish I had the same problem, everthing on my machine is worn out and falls apart! I would try a bit of gentle heating of the cover plate with an Oxy set, or a big blow torch if you don't have one. While heating it you might be able to use the 3 spring compressing set screw holes to work it apart. If that works and you can remove the disks, I would put the whole pack in the oven and cook it at about 150 degrees C for about 4 hours. Then tap it with a soft face hammer, repeat as required. Might work.

i just took the one off my parts machine apart trying to salvage parts. i can't believe how rusted together it was. it almost seems like that clutch material holds moisture like cardboard and rusts everyting up. there was no pressing it apart. and no amount of soaking it would ever have gotten that machine steeering. the drum was allready cracked so i scored it with a cut off wheel and spit it with a hammer and chisel then pryed the discs out.

steeringclutch001_zpsaa537557.jpg

This thread confirms why it is i stay away from the really cool older stuff with dry clutches. Guess there is a reason they don't make em like that anymore. Sure they do fine if used all the time but let em sit and you are screwed in short order. That said, keep up the good work and best of luck.

i kinda feel that way lol, i get to grumbling about "why would they ever design it this way" then i relize it is like 60 years old and this may be the 1st time it has been serviced. where do you think that power shift cat is going to be in 60 years? i called the dealer for a new E-stick cylinder for my 87 426 cat and they told me that they discontinued parts because it is so "old". wow

post-60834-0-20793000-1361138274_thumb.jpost-60834-0-60571400-1361138351_thumb.jpost-60834-0-19933900-1361138395_thumb.jI got the clutch open and all dics out and am now cleaning them. oldiron29

Wow, looks like you fared pretty well there. Should be back together and good to go in no time.

Got the clutch clean and back together. Made my 3 compression blocks and picked up parts to make 2 new release bearing grease lines. oldiron29