Farmall504#20

THE INTERNATIONAL GOLD DEMONSTRATOR'S (Post Your Pics)

they made the 656 in both a hi utility and row crop utility. the gold ones are

badged as a row crop utility. They are the same thing but the two that Eason found were both row crop utilities.post-458-0-59214700-1360672879_thumb.jpg. The picture is of a non gold demo 544 row crop utility

I love these tractors. They are gorgeous.

I'd love to find a 1026 or 1456. Undiscovered of course so I could get it cheap! Hahahahaha

our local dealer said every dealer got one to demonstrate. we ended up finding the one that they demonstrated, an 826 gear drive

Where is the guy who has the nice pair of Gold Demos that was on the RPM Cover a while ago? Farmall 1456 and I don't remember if it was a 1026 or another 1456.

Where is the guy who has the nice pair of Gold Demos that was on the RPM Cover a while ago? Farmall 1456 and I don't remember if it was a 1026 or another 1456.

That would be "Cooter" from Charlotte MI. A family dairy operation. I passed through Charlotte last summer and still wish I had looked him up. They have several Gold Demos.

BK

post-42413-0-23966600-1361060177_thumb.j

A little more gold. The No. 412 plow was in the Demonstrator barn at Albert Lea.

BK

post-42413-0-25464000-1361114141_thumb.j

post-42413-0-92573300-1361114159_thumb.j

I wonder why the 856 wasnt included in the demo program ?

That would be "Cooter" from Charlotte MI. A family dairy operation. I passed through Charlotte last summer and still wish I had looked him up. They have several Gold Demos.

BK

They're not trailer queens.

BK

A little more gold. The No. 412 plow was in the Demonstrator barn at Albert Lea.

BK

Awesome pictures! Thanks!

I have REALLY enjoyed this thread!!! I was cruising through and saw the pictures of the two demos plowing; I said "Oh man, that's awesome!" Then I clicked on it and it was me; doh!

I like the stories that go along with tractors and how they were acquired, so this post may be a tad lengthy.
No, they aren't trailer queens, for sure. The 14 is starting to show signs of use on the red. I don't recommend CIH 2150 for painting tractors, it just doesn't hold up. Anyway, we have 4 demos, but only 2 are currently done. After my money tree starts to bear fruit, I'll finish the others. :) The 826 is a basket case. After it started to mix engine fluids my dad tore it apart to rebuild it and……………… that’s all the farther he got on it. The 544 is a gas utility hydro with factory under-slung exhaust; of the few utilities I’ve come across so far, ours is the only one I’ve seen without the exhaust coming out the hood. They story goes that we got it shortly after the demonstration program ended and it was resold. It had a 2000 loader on it and spent its life in the barn yard. It was used every day of every year until 2003 when it finally would not go any more. It is worn completely out from the front to the rear; it never did any PTO work, so that’s probably OK. My grandmother loved to take pictures of the farm and farming operation, so I have a collection of pictures of that tractor from when it was new until now. I can’t wait to restore it simply because of the history trail I have for it.

Our neighbor bought the 1456 in '77 with fresh paint and a cab. He farmed with it until he traded it off for an Allis 7030 (why? who knows) The local IH dealer had the Allis and took the 14 in on trade. When they put it on the dyno for a test run, it blew a head gasket. My dad was down there when they pulled it in the shop and when they took the hoods off - gold underneath. He went up front and bought it on the spot. While it sat down there, multiplies of people tried to buy it from him.

post-1059-0-43353000-1361305192_thumb.jp

post-1059-0-62561300-1361306051_thumb.jp

We bought the 1026 in '86 from a mid-Michigan IH dealer. It came out of the thumb and had a mounted potato harvester on it. Because of the harvester, the original fenders were long gone. We had a Hiniker cab to put on it when it arrived at our place, so fenders weren't a big deal. It was gold under the hoods, but in '86, it was just another tractor and got painted red. This tractor did everything! Cut hay, round baled, moderate tillage, hauled a LOT of manure, and for a few years had a 2000 loader on it. When the hydro got weak it was demoted to the feed wagon until it couldn't pull itself around any longer and was then parked. It has just over 10,000 hours on the original engine without having been apart. When we decided to restore it back to a gold demo, it absorbed lots and lots of money - new tires, fenders, paint, and hydro unit.

http://youtu.be/4J-CZvyf4do

100%

http://youtu.be/i4oqn9S3eQY

100%
Sorry about the quality of the videos, they were taken off of a camera phone. I didn't realize how grainy they were until I posted them. A lot of people are scared of pulling a hydrostat, but aside from their power robbing characteristic it actually pulls pretty well.

I have REALLY enjoyed this thread!!! I was cruising through and saw the pictures of the two demos plowing; I said "Oh man, that's awesome!" Then I clicked on it and it was me; doh!

I like the stories that go along with tractors and how they were acquired, so this post may be a tad lengthy.

No, they aren't trailer queens, for sure. The 14 is starting to show signs of use on the red. I don't recommend CIH 2150 for painting tractors, it just doesn't hold up. Anyway, we have 4 demos, but only 2 are currently done. After my money tree starts to bear fruit, I'll finish the others. :) The 826 is a basket case. After it started to mix engine fluids my dad tore it apart to rebuild it and thats all the farther he got on it. The 544 is a gas utility hydro with factory under-slung exhaust; of the few utilities Ive come across so far, ours is the only one Ive seen without the exhaust coming out the hood. They story goes that we got it shortly after the demonstration program ended and it was resold. It had a 2000 loader on it and spent its life in the barn yard. It was used every day of every year until 2003 when it finally would not go any more. It is worn completely out from the front to the rear; it never did any PTO work, so thats probably OK. My grandmother loved to take pictures of the farm and farming operation, so I have a collection of pictures of that tractor from when it was new until now. I cant wait to restore it simply because of the history trail I have for it.

Our neighbor bought the 1456 in '77 with fresh paint and a cab. He farmed with it until he traded it off for an Allis 7030 (why? who knows) The local IH dealer had the Allis and took the 14 in on trade. When they put it on the dyno for a test run, it blew a head gasket. My dad was down there when they pulled it in the shop and when they took the hoods off - gold underneath. He went up front and bought it on the spot. While it sat down there, multiplies of people tried to buy it from him.

attachicon.gif1456 #4.jpg

attachicon.giffloat.jpg

We bought the 1026 in '86 from a mid-Michigan IH dealer. It came out of the thumb and had a mounted potato harvester on it. Because of the harvester, the original fenders were long gone. We had a Hiniker cab to put on it when it arrived at our place, so fenders weren't a big deal. It was gold under the hoods, but in '86, it was just another tractor and got painted red. This tractor did everything! Cut hay, round baled, moderate tillage, hauled a LOT of manure, and for a few years had a 2000 loader on it. When the hydro got weak it was demoted to the feed wagon until it couldn't pull itself around any longer and was then parked. It has just over 10,000 hours on the original engine without having been apart. When we decided to restore it back to a gold demo, it absorbed lots and lots of money - new tires, fenders, paint, and hydro unit.

http://youtu.be/4J-CZvyf4do

100%

http://youtu.be/i4oqn9S3eQY

100%

Sorry about the quality of the videos, they were taken off of a camera phone. I didn't realize how grainy they were until I posted them. A lot of people are scared of pulling a hydrostat, but aside from their power robbing characteristic it actually pulls pretty well.

I'm really impressed with that video,I've always been told hydros were weak sisters.Is heat what kills hydros and if it is ,couldn't it be addressed with aux cooling?Dows your tractor pull like that everytime or does it degrade as the oil gets hotter?Another question is do you run any extra cooling for the hydro?

Cooter, now I'm really REALLY sorry I didn't stop by last summer. I had a snack at McDucks, took a couple snaps of your CIH dealer lot, and headed back out to the highway. Smoker 1 had a cold beer waiting for me in Wanatah!!!! :lol:

BK

This gorgeous 826 was down at the Florida Fly Wheelers a while back.

BK

post-42413-0-93735200-1361312743_thumb.j

Cooter, now I'm really REALLY sorry I didn't stop by last summer. I had a snack at McDucks, took a couple snaps of your CIH dealer lot, and headed back out to the highway. Smoker 1 had a cold beer waiting for me in Wanatah!!!! :lol:

BK

Well, you're really going to feel bad after this: We are only two miles to the east of the dealer on the same road. :unsure:

I'm really impressed with that video, I've always been told hydros were weak sisters.Is heat what kills hydros and if it is ,couldn't it be addressed with aux cooling?Dows your tractor pull like that everytime or does it degrade as the oil gets hotter?Another question is do you run any extra cooling for the hydro?

Not weak, the pump and motor drive has a lot of parasitic power loss ~35%. They have larger oil coolers in front of the radiator to compensate for the heat generated. If all you are doing is light work i.e. cutting hay, baling, loader work, etc they get warm to the touch. As soon as you start tillage work, they get in the 200 degree range if your pulling hard and steady. I have always been told the reason they didn't make a larger hp hydro tractor is because they weren't able to keep them cool and it would boil the oil. I can remember as a kid disking in the spring with this tractor and it would be scorching hot in the cab because of all the heat coming off the transmission.

post-1059-0-17498300-1361334076_thumb.jp

post-1059-0-97699800-1361334440_thumb.jp

This is how the 1026 tours the country side.

I really apologize for the quality of the pictures, they are really grainy when you get them shrunk down enough to load. I must be doing something wrong, because all of your pictures are crisp and clear. How do you get a long string of large high quality pictures like the first post on this thread? http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77657 PM with the answer please, I don't want to hijack this thread.

BK

Well, you're really going to feel bad after this: We are only two miles to the east of the dealer on the same road. :unsure:

I'm really impressed with that video, I've always been told hydros were weak sisters.Is heat what kills hydros and if it is ,couldn't it be addressed with aux cooling?Dows your tractor pull like that everytime or does it degrade as the oil gets hotter?Another question is do you run any extra cooling for the hydro?

Not weak, the pump and motor drive has a lot of parasitic power loss ~35%. They have larger oil coolers in front of the radiator to compensate for the heat generated. If all you are doing is light work i.e. cutting hay, baling, loader work, etc they get warm to the touch. As soon as you start tillage work, they get in the 200 degree range if your pulling hard and steady. I have always been told the reason they didn't make a larger hp hydro tractor is because they weren't able to keep them cool and it would boil the oil. I can remember as a kid disking in the spring with this tractor and it would be scorching hot in the cab because of all the heat coming off the transmission.

attachicon.gifscreamin demon1.jpg

attachicon.gifLoadstar.jpg

This is how the 1026 tours the country side.

I really apologize for the quality of the pictures, they are really grainy when you get them shrunk down enough to load. I must be doing something wrong, because all of your pictures are crisp and clear. How do you get a long string of large high quality pictures like the first post on this thread? http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77657 PM with the answer please, I don't want to hijack this thread.

Sharp looking outfit on the Loadstar !!

The 544 from the Red Fever Collection, of the late, great Richard Lantis.

Awe Mr Brady Boy!!! I am so happy to see my father being remembered! My brother and I still have all the golds and the #1 806.....and all the others too. Lol Happy Days my friend!!

The 544 from the Red Fever Collection, of the late, great Richard Lantis.

Awe Mr Brady Boy!!! I am so happy to see my father being remembered! My brother and I still have all the golds and the #1 806.....and all the others too. Lol Happy Days my friend!!

Kate, I got really close to Stockbridge last May, wish I'd have had time to stop by. I was riding west on I-96, (my "heading west" thread last May) but hung a right at M-52, to head up to the big city of Oakley. I was riding back from DC to Spokane and figured I'd better visit some family. Unfortunately, I never met your dad. Next time I'm close to Southern MI, (Lima OH? I better change the oil in Springer), I may drop you a line and pay you a visit. Would love to take pics of the Red Fever Collection. And a good day to you too my friend! :D

BK

post-42413-0-94177400-1366560694_thumb.j

What was the largest gold demo hydro model made? Thats what I want!

Birdman, I believe that would be the IH 1026.

BK

Birdman, I believe that would be the IH 1026.

BK

Okay...then that's what I am focusing on from now on.

This is just a question, not saying I or anyone else should do this or that I would do it...I wouldn't. But what keeps anyone from just reproducing a gold demo? From what I have read there is really nothing but old paint that marks them as original GD's. Is it just a sense of pride that keeps people from faking them?

People do fake them, there has been more than one thread on fakes, most calling one out. If you find one pics seem to be the way to document an original before and during a resoration project.

Alright! Thanks for the info! I was worried that if I ever found one unrestored or undiscovered...and did a restoration on it...how to best document it to prove it wasn't a fake one....now I know!

29926.jpg

Here's a nice pair from Smoker Farms.

BK

I didn't mean to bring this topic up again but those are some sexy machines!!!!

Beautiful pictures! Another great marketing ploy of IH creating the gold demos. Just think how many collectors- including you guys, who would die for one.