Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pullerboy1066

whats the best 20ft disks that was or being made

I wouldn't recommend a JD disk, I have a 15ft and it does ok but not great. I've been told that Sunflower makes the best disks, I've never seen or used one though.

CASE IH 496 Disc 18 Foot Disc, Trust Me a Fully weighted 6420 JD cant Even Pull It In Are Land But Are Mx110 With No Weight Can

well you are on a ih site so there is only one answer, 496 ih or if you need a real heavy disc a 596.

Depends what you want to pay and what you want to do, if you want a heavy cutting disk get a Wishek, best built disk out there. A good all around disk go with a Sunflower or Landoll. Krause and AMCO are both good disks to. Really need more info to give a good answer, new, used, what kind of HP you got, etc. Disks vary greatly, I know a 20' disk you can pull with a 90hp tractor easily and a 20' disk that will bring a 400 hp tractor to its knees. And you notice a IH or Deere disk is nowhere on my list.

I like a 475. Cuts and levels good. John Deere disks will not level period. Eason

I like my old 480 but I don't fold the wings up! Thx-Ace

Dont know about the best 20 footer but the worst WORST one was a JohnDeere BWF wing 21footer. POS is the best I could say about it.

Dont know about the best 20 footer but the worst WORST one was a JohnDeere BWF wing 21footer. POS is the best I could say about it.

I wouldn't recommend a JD disk, I have a 15ft and it does ok but not great. I've been told that Sunflower makes the best disks, I've never seen or used one though.

you know why they changed the name from john deere plow company to just jd Cause the couldn't make a F****** Plow or Disc

Is the one you're referring to a 220 jd disk? Because I sure haven't heard much good out of them either.

I had a 21' BWF. Had to run on the contour cause it would build terraces. Always wished I'd bought a 480 instead.

The BWF had manual spring-loaded wings and was in about the same category as a 480.

Dad had a 17' 220 with 22" cone blades. It cut real good but ridged pretty bad. And it had the poorest tongue design I've seen on any disk. We pulled the tongue out of his several times with a 1066. It was a little consolation that we could pull it into the Deere dealer behind the 10 and say "guess we need a green tractor to pull this thing. This red one keeps pullin' the tongue out of it". :lol:

I've never run a jd . so i have no idea how they are , but i wouldn't have a IH 496 if they gave me one , for 1 thing there bearings are to light and there folding for the wings is also to light. Instead of putting carrier bearings in the main hinges they just have a bushinged pin with no grease points . I could go on and on so i'll stop here . I think i would go with a landoll or a dmi .

If you dont want to spend much and dont care about manual wings a 480 does an excellent job. 20 ft 490s and 496s are hard to level. they always seem to want to "bridge up in the middle.Had a couple 230 and 235 deere disks and wasnt happy at all. Liked my 1904 Krause 20 ft but it had some week spots in the frame.

I would step up to a 22 1/2ft #496 disk. You need the width to have the correct down pressure on the wings, something smaller disk dont have.

im looking at a krause 20ft 1904.would a 1486 be able to pull a 20ft disk. the disks are 20 inches yet there are no welds on it.and they want around 9,000.00 for it is that a good price or not.what are the week points on these disks

1486 w/duals will do great on a 20ft disk, never run out of traction or power.

im looking at a krause 20ft 1904.would a 1486 be able to pull a 20ft disk. the disks are 20 inches yet there are no welds on it.and they want around 9,000.00 for it is that a good price or not.what are the week points on these disks

I have a 1904(21') Krause and a 1907 (25') I usually use my 1206 or 1066 on the 21' and my 1466 or 5288 on the 25'. I usually don't disc any deeper than needed though. You'll run out of traction pretty soon if you do. That 25' disc gives the 1466 a workout! It also has a 3 bar harrow on it. They are a heavy built disc, probably heavier than a 496 and about the same age. Both of mine have 22" blades. You will need to watch the wing hinges and the turnbuckle adjustment on the wing carrying wheel. They need to be adjusted at times to keep it level.And make sure the axle tubes aren't getting too loose in the supports. Sometimes the tubes need to be built up again if they haven't been greased regularly. I've also had to replace the wheel bearings on some of the main frame wheels. Make sure you get one with 4 carrying wheels in the main frame. I've seen some with only 2.

I think you can do better than that on a price. My 25 footer came out of Nebraska and needed all new blades, got it bought for $1300 and spent about $3000 on blades and bearings.

post-328-0-94417200-1357499067_thumb.jpgpost-328-0-33390200-1357499141_thumb.jpgpost-328-0-90944900-1357499168_thumb.jpg

Should pull it ok if you dont bury it to the spools. We run newer Krause disks and they are pretty good, not as heavy as a Sunflower or Landoll but a decent finishing disk. Price sounds pretty high for that old of a disk, probably came with 22" blades and they are wore to 20" so will need to be rebladed soon, replace the bearings when you do. If its rockflex change the bearing holders over to new style with zerk on top. Never been around a non-rockflex so couldn't tell you about them

Oh, and a couple more things about the 220/230 Deere disks:

Spring-loaded scrapers. Scraper blades wear fast, wear on the disk blades, and make a lot of noise.

Hollow steel spools. If the scrapers get out of adjustment they'll cut into the spools. Can even cut them in two.

My opinion: run away.

I'm still running an IH 475 with manual fold wings. The newer ones with cushion gang I think were the 496 model were good, might be a little old for some but would work for me.

Oh, and a couple more things about the 220/230 Deere disks:

Spring-loaded scrapers. Scraper blades wear fast, wear on the disk blades, and make a lot of noise.

Hollow steel spools. If the scrapers get out of adjustment they'll cut into the spools. Can even cut them in two.

My opinion: run away.

The new ones aren't any better...................Have a 635 here that is less than ideal, but nothing like the older ones.............I took the springs off the scrapper and bolted them rigid.......Also don't like the steel spools either.

Liked my 1904 Krause 20 ft but it had some week spots in the frame.

I was thinking the same thing. Our 18' Krause works great and does a nice job but it developed a crack in the main tube on the wing not long after we bought it. We cut the back plate off the frame and put a new piece of tubing inside the old from front to back and redrilled all the holes for the gangs and the axle and then welded up the old crack and reattached the plate. Hasn't been a problem since. Of course I don't know how it was treated in it's former life. I was sure it was a 1778? or something to that affect but I can't find one on the net for the life of me. I must be losing my marbles! We did rebuild it completely with new Earth Metal blades and all bearings on the gangs and give it a new coat of paint. Only thing I hate is that it's a single wing. Maybe someone can tell me the number from the pictures as its 15 miles away at the farm and its gonna drive me nuts till I figure it out.

post-43405-0-48165400-1357527894_thumb.j

post-43405-0-03364200-1357527901_thumb.j

I had trouble breaking gang axles on jd disc. Can't remember number, 230 or 235 if I remember right. 496 no complaints.