Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mudfly

`66 Series cab option questions

I have some questions about 66 series cabs and what options they came with.

how many different cabs were offered?

what order/years did the cabs come out?

the white cab, i think the one called the diamind cab, did that come standard with heat and ac? if not how hard is it to add? I am assuming that all the parts could be found off a junk cab.

are the white square cab and red cab basically the same? are these cabs much better than the diamond cabs or just a different version of an early cab design? did they come standard with heat and ac? are these heat and ac parts the same as the ones in the diamond cab?

sorry for all the questions, but my BIL is still looking for a tractor and wants a cab. just trying to help him out. we cant seem to find a decent 86 series for a decent price so now looking at 66 series tractors.

AC was optional on both. As far as adding I would go with Eagle Air if that's still available.

66 series could have the custom cab or deluxe cab. Custom looked like the ones on the 56 series while the deluxe was the ones with the long rounded fenders. The earlier white deluxe cabs had 2 windows in the doors and the side windows did not open. The later red cabs didnt have the lower window in the door and the side windows opened. They also used a little different mount on the axle. The door latch handles were changed also at some time in production. Early cabs had a handle like a truck door and later ones had the inside handle on the top of the door frame below the top window.

My dad bought a 1466 , from a nieghbor & close friend , i think it was an earily model cab cause it had the externel door handles . But i think the heater & ac where factory installed , cause everthing was neatly put in. It was the first tractor we owned that had a cab . After running tract. with out cabs , from f-30 to 806d you thought you died and went to heaven , just in the sound reduction there was . Tne last tractor i ran before getting hurt , was a 7140 magnum , so i've seen alot of cab design and could see how technalogy got us were we are today , and i think the engineeres have done a pretty good job . With the GPS. autosteer systems , i've driven a few of them , it won't be long you'll get out of bed , grab a cup of coffee , sign in to your comp. tell what trac. you want to do , hit enter grab your faverite beverage and sit under your faverite shade tree and watch the work getting done . That's not that far away .

66 series could have the custom cab or deluxe cab. Custom looked like the ones on the 56 series while the deluxe was the ones with the long rounded fenders. The earlier white deluxe cabs had 2 windows in the doors and the side windows did not open. The later red cabs didnt have the lower window in the door and the side windows opened. They also used a little different mount on the axle. The door latch handles were changed also at some time in production. Early cabs had a handle like a truck door and later ones had the inside handle on the top of the door frame below the top window.

OK, this is the type of cab that we are looking at. I'm assuming this is the custom cab. The owner says it doesn't have heat or AC. We like everything else about the tractor, including the price. Haven't been to look at it in person, since if we get a cab we would minimally like heat. AC would be nice, but could possibly live without it.

Was there an option for a cab with NO heat? Or do you it possible that it just doesn't work?

How hard/how much do you think it would take to add AC to this cab?

Does anyone know a salvage yard where the heat/AC parts would be available? I'm in northern MN.

One last question, how hard would it be to change over to a deluxe cab? If we could find one, I would not be against changing the cab if the price is right.

post-46270-0-13767300-1353604778_thumb.j

Thats a diamond cab.

The Custom cab is also known as a diamond cab.It's amazing that it doesn't have heat. You might find the parts you need in a salvage yard but by the time you buy the tractor, find the parts to get heat and ac into the cab you may have a lot more hassle then what it's worth.

Thats a diamond cab.

The Custom cab is also known as a diamond cab.It's amazing that it doesn't have heat. You might find the parts you need in a salvage yard but by the time you buy the tractor, find the parts to get heat and ac into the cab you may have a lot more hassle then what it's worth.

it may have heat, the owner may just not know it. or it may just not work (blower motor?).

you are probably correct on the hassle being more than what it is worth, it is either pay more for a lower quality tractor with a better cab or buy a better mechanical tractor an try to update the cab later. those are kind of the choices that we are running into right now.

I don't see any hoses running into the cab, that thing may not have heat. You better give us an idea of what your budget is- because the difference in resale value between 66 and 86 series IHs is very minimal around here.

I don't see any hoses running into the cab, that thing may not have heat. You better give us an idea of what your budget is- because the difference in resale value between 66 and 86 series IHs is very minimal around here.

Up here in ND (west-central MN too from what I've seen) there is still a big price break between the 66 and 86 series. Low hour 86s still bring about the same money as similar-hour 50s and 30s.

Not sure about northern MN though.

We had been on the hunt for a 986 or 1086 for quite a while but wasn't able to find any under $12000-15000 that weren't just plain hashed out. We picked up a 966 (red deluxe cab) with a 236 Farmhand loader for $7500 instead. Good TA, 5000hrs, strong engine but it was a hard starter due to a weak supply pump.

I would've much preferred a Diamond cab for a loader rig but the big clumsy Deluxe cab keeps the cold out too. :)

Up here in ND (west-central MN too from what I've seen) there is still a big price break between the 66 and 86 series. Low hour 86s still bring about the same money as similar-hour 50s and 30s.

Not sure about northern MN though.

We had been on the hunt for a 986 or 1086 for quite a while but wasn't able to find any under $12000-15000 that weren't just plain hashed out. We picked up a 966 (red deluxe cab) with a 236 Farmhand loader for $7500 instead. Good TA, 5000hrs, strong engine but it was a hard starter due to a weak supply pump.

I would've much preferred a Diamond cab for a loader rig but the big clumsy Deluxe cab keeps the cold out too. :)

You hit it right on the head. We have been looking at 986's with 6000 to 9000 hours some in ok shape, but most have something major wrong with them (T/A out, bad clutch, cab destroyed, etc) and they are all in the $10,000 to $14,000 range. This is without a loader and rear tires around 50-70%. If you want one in better condition you are looking at over $15,000. A better condition 66 series with less hours are about half the price.

We may keep looking, just trying to find something that will work and would like to stay close to $10k if possible. If the right tractor came on the market $15k would not break the budget, but it would have to be in really good condition at that price.

Is it me or in the picture did they spray can paint the engine & frame rails <_< ? Otherwise it looks pretty straight .

From my experience running without heat in a cab was OK . Your all bundled up with layers of Winter clothes and if your in/out of the cab it sure is easier not to have to put coat on/off each time . (856 w/Hiniker cab)

Don't get me wrong heat is nice but I wouldn't make it a deal breaker as you could add Heat , A/C of both later ;) .

That's kind of what I was asking, how difficult is it to add later? Do you basically just need to find a junk tractor with the parts and install them?

We have been without a cab since we've been farming, just thought it would be nice for a change. If it doesn't work out the cab can always be removed, though I think I heard on this forum that 66 series fenders (square top) are nearly impossible to find or really expensive.