Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Farmall51

How a baler knotter works . LOL

12 posts in this topic

183414_513241318704271_1189456407_n.jpg

:mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: Boy you opined a can of worms here . When i got out of Hi- school i went to work at a I-H dealer , i'd worked there for a little over a yr. Being the new kid i did all the crappy jobs but i stuch it out . Then the owner came to me and asked if i would like to learn how balers worked . So wanting to get out of cleaning trac. for the other mecha. to work on i said ya. So i got edjucated on the I-H 45 - 55 string tied balers. This guy was good , i'd go out with him on service calls and he taught me alot about the balers but the one thing i never asked about was how the knotters worked . I'm sure now with the slow photo immagree , if you could see it in action it's pretty simple.

:mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: Boy you opined a can of worms here . When i got out of Hi- school i went to work at a I-H dealer , i'd worked there for a little over a yr. Being the new kid i did all the crappy jobs but i stuch it out . Then the owner came to me and asked if i would like to learn how balers worked . So wanting to get out of cleaning trac. for the other mecha. to work on i said ya. So i got edjucated on the I-H 45 - 55 string tied balers. This guy was good , i'd go out with him on service calls and he taught me alot about the balers but the one thing i never asked about was how the knotters worked . I'm sure now with the slow photo immagree , if you could see it in action it's pretty simple.

I bought some of those DVD's that are in the back of the RPM and they have a video on the McCormick #45 baler and a few others too . Really great video too. It was a sales video that IH made.

Dad bought a new #45, I was foolish & bought a used one when I started custom haying, from experience saying the knotters on a 45 "worked" is a bit of a stretch on the imagination. They were the worst baler IH ever made.

We too had an old 45T and my brother and I called it a two man baler. One guy to drive the tractor and the other to tie the knots. Whenever we would get one side tying the other side would no doubt stop. My dad finally bought an old used Oliver baler and we were amazed to learn that it was possible to bale hay with only one person.

But you have to admit, they had nice twine boxes to sit on and hand tie the bales.

So true!

IH managed to get the problems resolved with the 46 a nice working machine.

First and only baler I have ever worked on was a manual feed manual tie John Deer[?]

The tying wires had a premade loop on one end the other you got to twist anyway you wanted to just so it stayed together.

It was feed with a pitch fork, you had to get the hay in between down strokes of the feeding ram.

If you ever got a bale made you got to pick it up and place on the trailer.

It was powered by an air cooled 2 cylinder inline engine.

You guys and your fancy new machines.

What happened to sweat, back breaking work, and ingunity.

The tier was very easy to figure; no problem at all as long as you had on gloves.

I did not have any...

Very long week in the hot sun;

That was at least 55 years ago; some good times you never forget.

The few times I've ever even looked into why a baler wasn't tying that chalkboard is pretty much how the picture in my head turned out. Buddy of mine is a baler mechanic at the Deere dealer up in Smith Center and while he makes good money and can work all the hours he wants during hay season it's definitely a job I'd pass on :lol: .

But you have to admit, they had nice twine boxes to sit on and hand tie the bales.

So true!

IH managed to get the problems resolved with the 46 a nice working machine.

I had a 46 and rebuilt the knotters. It worked well but was an education.

On YouTube there's a new Holland slow mo video of an knotter pretty neat