Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cp 856

Ih 454 the goods and bad

Going to go look at a gas 454 on Monday it has a stuck clutch according to the owner what should I look for the price is rite just don't want to buy a piece of junk thanks

Test drove one 3 or 4 years back. It was a POS. Gas line rubbed thru, junk tires, steering joints ALL sloppy, no brakes, smoked, he took o/p gauge off as he claimed it leaked, and jumped out of gear going downhill which almost killed me as no brakes. Said he`d "Let it go" for $3800. As I was leaving, he asked what I thot it was worth. I smiled and left. No point in making him mad... Maybe someone else on here knows of any issues with that model. The one I looked at was ALL issues. Good luck.

I had one for a few years. It was a nice little tractor! It had Hydrostatic steering, so you could weasel the thing into spots you thought you could never get out of! The only issues I had was it's SIZE. I'm 6'7", so it was a challenge to drive sometimes, and the crossover gas tank had started to rust. After cleaning/sealing the tank, it worked fine. I ended up selling it, and bought a bigger machine.

Worn steering bushes & pivots on front axle can givea lot of slop on steering, but they are easily fixed a nd all wearing parts are available.

Brakes can be an issue but are relatively easy to fix

On an older machine , rust in fuel tank and rusty fuel lines at rear of tractor can be an issue.

I bought one a few years ago it had a slight knock in the motor which turned out to be a bad piston. I did a complete overhaul. The sleeveless motors can be very expensive to fix.

Southwestauction.com has a 454 diesel on their lot.

They want 2000. for it with a declared knocking engine.

You can see a picture on their website.

I have a 464 I have owned since 2008.

In good condition it can be a fine machine.

Junk is junk no matter what the color or engine!!

I would expect, to see issues with the IPTO clutch, shift linkage and brakes.

AND other things related to age wear and tear.