Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

red211

? ABOUT REAR WHEELS ON A 140

A friend I do some work for has an MD, a 554 I think, a B414 I think, and a 140. He called yesterday and was trying to fix a bank for a widow where her dad had cut it out years ago for a garden and it was too steep to mow. He had the 140 with a fast hitch plow trying to cut the bank down and needed help with my skid steer. I stopped by on the way home and cut the bank down, then he disced it up with his new to him IH fast hitch disc he got this week, which had some big blades and only had two small cracks in the rear frame.

So the question is, the rear wheels are different, left one is thinner metal while the right one is thick cast. He thinks it came like this but I am guessing one has been changed. He thinks it's a 63 or 64 model. What wheels did these come with? Sorry no pics.

Engine side is thin forged steel and drivers side is cast for offset weight.

They put them on there so the tractor would have better traction due to torque load , because of the short wheel base an lack of spread the tractor wan`t to lift an lose traction on the side that has the Heavy cast .

HP

Engine side is thin forged steel and drivers side is cast for offset weight.

Right, because the engine and drivetrain is offset from center the opposite wheel is of a heavy cast design to act as a counter weight and keep the tractor stable. Very important for the plowing your friend is doing! Nothing has been changed.

Yeah just dont get them mixed up when you put them back on . :o

Thanks guys, I looked at several cubs and A s today and none had the mix of wheels. Was this something that just 140s had or were the ones I looked at changed? My friend was pulling the FH disc and when he had the rt side up hill it would spin out the rt wheel in a tough spot. That new disc had some big blades for a little disc though.

An A should be like this also. I know my 100 is like that with a heavy cast wheel on the right side. Eason

The A`s, Super A`s and AI I have all are like that. Thin forged on engine side and cast on drivers side.Put 2 thin ones on one tractor to lighten it up to mow the yard to sink in less and put 2 cast ones with extra weights on one I bush hog the hills with.

My 140 and 130 are both like that. It necessary due to the difference in axle leghts which makes the right foot print lighter than the leftside

the leftside is carrying more of the wieght of the tractor

Only the very early Farmall A had the pressed steel centers (1939 )on both sides after that they changed to one steel (left side) and one cast center (right side). Early Farmall As were more prone to rolling over than the later ones with the cast center.

It made sence when he told me that is factory, now I know it's fact. Thanks for the imput guys, never fail to get answers here!