Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hydro70

My girlfriends family tractors........4786 and two Steiger Panthers

13 posts in this topic

Her Dad has a really nice 4786 and two other Panthers he bought about ten years ago for the sole purpose of doing excavating work so they all have a pan to go behind them and they probably havent run nothing for five years or better. He bought the 1980 IH 4786 back in 1999 I think for $13,000 at a auction in Illinois where it was only a ag tractor. The 4786 has Michelin radials and Id almost bet they are the ones that come on it new back in "80". Ive been wanting to take it to my house and give it a good cleaning and Im only about a mile from the shed it stays in, its never sat outside except on the job site so its still in good looking shape

post-618-0-63866100-1345128786_thumb.jpg

post-618-0-41813100-1345128923_thumb.jpg

Here is one of the Panthers

post-618-0-17977500-1345128997_thumb.jpg

This one sits beside my house and one of his friends has borrowed the pan it had hooked up behind it, it needs a good cleaning to

I cant seem to upload no more than one pic per topic so I must be doing something wrong but I dont know what

Hydro - The 4786 most likely had B.F.Goodrich radials from the factory, which those look like. Michelin hadn't bought BFG out back in '80 yet.

I agree, get the old girl out and clean her up. Sharp looking original condition tractor!

Hang onto that GF... Perfect Situation to be in if you ever inherited them...

Her - "You should get rid of your old junk tractors"

You - "Well, those 3 were your Dad's, they mean alot to me"

Her - "Oh your right...we should build a new garage for them"

You - "Good idea"

Of course this all makes sense in my fantasy land...ROFL!

My Wife's family bleeds green...I could buy ANYTHING Green and take it home with zero questions....I better have a good reason to buy something without Yellow rims. I been searching for a Magnum pedal tractor to fix up...truth be told, I'm an equal opportunity tractor lover...when the wife learnt of this she quickly gave me the 20 questions thing and the "Do we really need another one" line...last night I showed up home with an 8310 I found cheap locally and got the "Oh he's gonna love it" line.. :unsure: gotta love em. Damn good thing they smell good and have smooth legs.

Hang onto that GF... Perfect Situation to be in if you ever inherited them...

Her - "You should get rid of your old junk tractors"

You - "Well, those 3 were your Dad's, they mean alot to me"

Her - "Oh your right...we should build a new garage for them"

You - "Good idea"

Of course this all makes sense in my fantasy land...ROFL!

My Wife's family bleeds green...I could buy ANYTHING Green and take it home with zero questions....I better have a good reason to buy something without Yellow rims. I been searching for a Magnum pedal tractor to fix up...truth be told, I'm an equal opportunity tractor lover...when the wife learnt of this she quickly gave me the 20 questions thing and the "Do we really need another one" line...last night I showed up home with an 8310 I found cheap locally and got the "Oh he's gonna love it" line.. :unsure: gotta love em. Damn good thing they smell good and have smooth legs.

can't argue with that! :lol:

Nice tractors. What engine does the panthers have?

post-618-0-82174600-1345214466_thumb.jpg

Here is another pic of the 4786 and its going to stay in her family for a long time to come and your right Dr.Evil on the tires they are B.F. Goodrich and thats all Harvester put on there tractors when radials first came out in the late 70s or at least thats all that we ever got on machinery from the factory

Good lookin ole workhorses!

post-618-0-82174600-1345214466_thumb.jpg

Here is another pic of the 4786 and its going to stay in her family for a long time to come and your right Dr.Evil on the tires they are B.F. Goodrich and thats all Harvester put on there tractors when radials first came out in the late 70s or at least thats all that we ever got on machinery from the factory

WHAT KIND OF HOURS ON THE OLE GIRL???

Nice to see a clean 4786 black stripe. Im a firm believer that if IH would have used Cummins engines and Steiger drive trane, IH would have owned Steiger in full. To me they were a sharp looking 4wd. I come from a big Steiger fan family and Im very partial to them. The 66, 68, 86 and 88 series 4wds could have been alot better. I think it would be an awesome project to take an IH 4786 and add a full steiger drive trane and Cummins 903 so you dont have to extend the hood and get to keep the original look.

Nice to see a clean 4786 black stripe. Im a firm believer that if IH would have used Cummins engines and Steiger drive trane, IH would have owned Steiger in full. To me they were a sharp looking 4wd. I come from a big Steiger fan family and Im very partial to them. The 66, 68, 86 and 88 series 4wds could have been alot better. I think it would be an awesome project to take an IH 4786 and add a full steiger drive trane and Cummins 903 so you dont have to extend the hood and get to keep the original look.

That would be an awesome project. IH made a bad choice to go to the DV-800 in the 45's and 47's. They were on the right track with the DTI466 in the 43's but when they went to the V-8's longevitey was not there. As far as power trains everybody says how the axles are light, which they are, but really the drivetrain didnt cause many issues, same fuller tranny as the Steigers with different axles and dropboxes. They are the best looking 4 wheel drives ever built to this day in my opinion, just needed a little refining to make them a strong competitor.