Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Farmall504#20

Were the last of the 140's Poor Quality ?

6 posts in this topic

Ok I was wondering if there was any truth about the last of the International 140 tractors being on the sloppy side.? I've heard that IH knew they were going to stop production of the 140 around 1979 So they didn't worry about making new molds to cast parts on the tractor. Some of the Cast pieces on the last 140's were of really poor quality and did not look as good as years past . Anyone else heard of this.

552642_10150991871129543_715368886_n.jpg

Since they were going to end Production on the 140 I guess IH didnt want to invest on new casting Molds.

Matt the tooling at Louisville was worn out. The hydraulics on the last 140's were junk. There were a lot of warrenty claims on the tractors. IH didn't want to invest millions in a tractor that they were only selling 2 to 3000 a year and the market was shrinking. The 74 tobacco specials and the 84 bright lightings were eating away at the 140's main market because tobacco farmers were getting bigger. I've cultivated 45 acres of tobacco with a 140. They were a hard riding tractor. Eason

BTW the "new" 140 that has never been in a field at Floyd Bradshuer's has the same steering wheel as the one pictured. Eason

I need to get down to Floyd Bradshuer's and see it.

They were a good tractor I guess farming was getting larger and tractors like this were not needed as often.