Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Butch-Ky

Diesel Tank's on Trucks

12 posts in this topic

Is there a Gov regulation that says how many gallon and size of fuel tank can be on 2 ton truck? I'm talking about side mount

I never heard of such a regulation when I sold trucks.

Harold H

Maybe the "law of economics"??? :(:unsure:;)

With the high dollar fuel prices------------I seldom fill the pickup all the way up anymore. Glad to see prices falling back right now.

For what its worth---------I have a 113 gallon L-P tank on the side of the F-700 "watermelon truck"------------converts to approx 90--95 gallons of liquid when topped off; ------approx 400 mile range.

Delta Dirt

Avon, Ms 38723

I believe DOT regulations are 150 gallons max per tank and no more than two tanks.

This was what I was thinking also.Two 40 gallon tanks want run you very far.

I believe DOT regulations are 150 gallons max per tank and no more than two tanks.

Why would that be? If that is the case then why don't they regulate the amount of fuel in a tanker, or the amount carried for use in the pumping engines on oil field service units?

Had to be them. Have to admit those side tanks are kinda perilous, as in easily mooshed. Here on the west coast the biggest tank setup I ever saw was 300 gallons but it seems like it was 4 tanks, two on each side. Most common used to be a pair or 75s, but have seen things like a 50 and 100 (?) on one side of the long frame tractors. 150 would carry you solid for a good 800 mile day.

I've seen some trucks out of Canada with 4 150 gallon tanks on them. I'd hate to have to fill them up. I've heard there are many areas that fuel is very scarce in some areas up there. Eason

That would be the only reason to carry that kind of fuel load. The weight alone is a reason not to carry that amount of fuel, kind of hurts the load you can haul. Getting through an area with high fuel cost looks like the main reason to carry 300 gal or more. Doesn't the DOT regs make you stop more often than 8 hours?

Not if you are military.

In Nevada it used to be you had to cover 200 mile gaps but nowadays 100 is more typical. Not real hard to do, but we know how it is at a fuel stop. More time passes than you would like and the day is already long enough as it is. And back in those days it was possible to have to hang around for a day or two if they ran out of fuel. For me loaded weight was hardly ever an issue, just distance from nowhere to nowhere.

the reason some canadians have that set up

is when they come to the u.s. they can top thier tanks

off with cheaper u.s. fuel and not have to pay taxes on it when they cross back into canada