Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IH 5288 fan

Anyone install the new K&M mirrors yet?

9 posts in this topic

Was wondering if anyone has installed the new K&M mirrors? If so, are they a little more stable than the old style K&M mirrors? I know the older pipe style had some wiggle to it, hoping the new ones are more stable. Any pics of the new mirrors installed?

Yes those are the mirrors I was talking about. The k&m website shows the bracket and it sure doesn't look like it would be too stable. Hopefully someone chimes in with results.

I sold 2 mirrors to put on a magnum, and they shook back and forth so bad they were useless. Ended up using braces to sturdy them. Which eliminated the break away feature, but was the only way they would work. I recieved 2 updated heavier brackets after everyone complained and haven't installed them yet, but my gut tells me they won't fix the problem. The problem lies mostly with the flimsy metal lip they are mounted on, in the magnum cab. The original mirrors they sold before this worked perfect, just didn't have a break away. which I can't see being a problem.

those look like the same mirrors that are on the MX tractors. those have the break-a-way feature.

I'm probably going to get shot for saying this but I'm going to anyway, the mirrors must be as good as their steps and handrail kit. I see a lot of them on 86 series tractors, including my own 1086, but I would put them in the back corner of the shed had they not cost so much. By the way, a warning to anyone who uses the handrail kit, Do Not grab the rail before opening the door, if you do, be prepared for four smashed fingers and a lot of swearing, as there isn't enough clearance between the door and the handrail for your hand. This was my first experience with mine and it soured me pretty quick. As for the mirrors they look nice, but if they vibrate they are worthless, I've drove enough trucks with mirrors that vibrate, to realize that they a just a bit better than nothing.

Boy am I glad you brought this up, IH 5288 fan.

I bought a set last spring for my 5088 and was dissapointed from the first day that I put them on. :angry: They vibrate so bad that they are almost usless and the "ball mount" on the back of one of the mirrors is so loose that it will not keep the mirror head in adjustment.

Was always going to send a letter or email to K&M complaining about them, but never got it done.

About a month ago I received a call from my K&M distributor telling me that he had just received a set of the "new & improved" mounting brackets from K&M.

I have not put them on yet, but they seem to be some what heavier than the original ones. Hope they help because I really do like the way the mirrors look on the tractor.

On a positive note, I love the K&M steps and door shocks. :)

John

Got my mirrors from local salvage yard and they look just like the K&M mirrors. I made my own bracket out of 3/16 steel bent with a couple 90 degree bends and welded them onto the Rops post. Door still closes nicely with the gasket sealing good around bracket, I did have to trim the corner cab trim slightly--just like it is for the door hinge. Mirrors did not shake badly or get loose this spring running the roads or planting corn & beans. Actually just got three more sets bent today at the local machine shop to put on the 986/5288/5488

post-52664-0-08158800-1341028009_thumb.j

post-52664-0-43082700-1341028029_thumb.j

I was going to get a set of those for my 5288 but if they vibrate I dont want them.

Got a K&M step on my 1466 open station and like it but the finish isnt so good. They must use powder coat. Its not going to hold up like an enamel paint over a good primer would.