Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FRF

Where is the oil going?

12 posts in this topic

A few farmers around here are noticing that they are using A LOT more hydraulic fluid than usual. One guy running a 6410 on a stationary tobacco baler has lost 5 gallons in a couple months. The tractor and baler have not moved and there are no visible leaks. Anybody else seeing this? Did they Chang the oil makeup? Is it evaporating?

Wow....never heard of that before but I suppose anythings possible.

At the price of hydraulic oit, are you sure somebody isn't using "midnight auto"? :ph34r:

Mike

Don't think so. We can't figger it out.

A few farmers around here are noticing that they are using A LOT more hydraulic fluid than usual. One guy running a 6410 on a stationary tobacco baler has lost 5 gallons in a couple months. The tractor and baler have not moved and there are no visible leaks. Anybody else seeing this? Did they Chang the oil makeup? Is it evaporating?

Oil Gremlins !!!!! lololol !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am with Mike I think it is walking off. To use that much or leak that much would make a mess.

That was our first thought too. We just can't find any signs of it. Will cheaper Xtreme brand oil burn off or evaporate? We're talking about combines tractors and all

Ive got a Farmall 140 that I was wondering where all the lift oil was going . I would check it at the end of the day and it would need some so I would add a little to it . And then the next day Id check it again and it would be low again . ARGGGG!!!. Again with no wet spots on the ground or tractor I thought I was loosing my mind. Long story short it was leaking at the pump seal into the crank case . Buy yeah yall sound like you have someone is stealing the Midnight oil .....

Ive got a Farmall 140 that I was wondering where all the lift oil was going . I would check it at the end of the day and it would need some so I would add a little to it . And then the next day Id check it again and it would be low again . ARGGGG!!!. Again with no wet spots on the ground or tractor I thought I was loosing my mind. Long story short it was leaking at the pump seal into the crank case . Buy yeah yall sound like you have someone is stealing the Midnight oil ..... That is what i was going to post . But i think your tractor is stationary [ your baling tobaco leaves out of the drying barns . So there is a possibility of some one t apping your oil supply .

Hey Guy ,In my Opinion Oil Dose`nt Evaporate off , It leaks ,It dissapears , sounds like a good place for one of those Hunting Cameras , hang it up an Click Ah Ha !!! Just my 2 cents !

I love game cameras. And they are getting cheaper all the time. We first hung them up to see Deer and Turkeys but usually get pictures of Rhinos and Gators and Kodiacks and such ( 4 wheelers and side by sides) Amazing what happens when you present Dad with pictures of what Jr. has been up to. And they always seem to have a gas can in the back with a hose...I have them around the barn yard as well. Watch the fuel tank and barn doors. You might be surprised at what critters are around at night and what time of the day the deer are in the orchards as well.

In the case of the baler - could the oil be getting sprayed into the bales? Had a guy rent a tractor from us last year, lost 20 some gallons of oil a day and couldn't figure it out, thought the rental tractor had some sort of leak. They put a different tractor on the grain cart, and it lost all it's oil. Come to find out a seal on the auger cylinder was spraying oil when he swung it out, and it injected the oil into the grain. By the time the cart was cleaned out, the grain had wiped everything down clean.

But I also agree that somebody might be "borrowing" oil. Pretty fishy when everything on multiple farms start losing oil at the same time and nobody can find a leak. Used Hytran and similar makes really good diesel fuel once it has been filtered, and thieves have figured out that fuel barrels have been getting locked up nowdays.