Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

daveih1256

IH 5088 fuse box problem

daveih1256    0

on my restored Ih 5088 ,which had the wiring harness redone.i am having problems with the cab power fuse melting into the fuse box and losing contact ,the fuse does not blow.when the harness was redone the cab power fuse was moved to the other side of the fuse box as this had already happpened where this fuse was originally located.As i mentioned this harness was redone with new cab blower motor installed.any help would be appreciated.

Dave

5488Duke    0

Usually when you have a melting condition and not blowing fuses, you have a bad connection which draws a lot of voltage and heats the wiring, fuses, etc... You need to find the poor connection on that line somewhere and fix that. It could also be a poor ground causing the same heat to build up in the system. When the fuse blows you have a short to ground in the system and it draws max amps and blows the fuse. Before I re-did the wiring on our 5488 the battery volt meter on the dash would run at 12 when the lights were on. Now it always is running up above the middle at 13 -14 even when the lights are on.

Check over all of the grounds and harness connections. I had a similar problem to what you are facing. Previous owner had too much power running through the lighting circuit causing all kinds of fun. I cleaned up all of the grounds and it helped, but I found that one of the electrical harness connectors had "dry-rotted" and was creating a dead-short. I cleaned it up the best I could, re-wired my lighting circuits, and no problems so far. Does it happen when a certain component is turned on, or is that fuse running hot regardless of electrical load? Could be a wire that is pinched cause a dead-short...

Good Luck! These electrical gremlins can be a challenge.

pete23    0

IH gave up on using a fuse of that type as it could not handle the load with those small blades and over heated therefore ruining the fuse holder. Cut the wires and install a 30 amp circuit breaker. That was their cure for the problem. Both on main light circuit and cab accessories. I don't know how it lasted this long as the first year they were out we were seeing problems.