Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TroyDairy

SPFH

32 posts in this topic

I know IH never made a SPFH (why?) but I was wodering whom here has one? I am concidering doing it ourselves again since the hourly rate is going up every year ($370/hr now) and buying a used one plus fuel an parts pencils to be cheaper now. Either a JD or a NH since Claas is wayyy outta my price range. Besides near every Claas in my $ range has 4000+ hours and newer engines. Them Mercedes are ancors from what I can tell. Any info from you Red guys?

Claas is the best chopper on the market, Mercedes motors are far from anchors, very few motor issues in any Claas around here. We run a chipped Claas 850.

What are you looking to spend? 491 series Claas machines are coming down in price and are excellent machines and are comparable price wise to the Deeres.

Dont know much about NH as none of them ever made it more than one season anywhere around here. Anybody that owned one spent more time fixing than chopping.

Well I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend. Around 30 to 40 g's you'll get the most out of a NH 19 or 21 series. Getting into the 70 to 100 g's a claas 800 series chopper is the best for the money. You will get the most for your buck with a NH in the older market because the drive train is much heavier and and the spout is much more versatile then a JD chopper. The newer choppers are very close and I would go with whoever the best dealer is. Class is built really nice, very handy to work on. No matter what chopper your going to buy, if used, these machines have more then likely been used hard will need work periododicly, just remember a big chopper when broke means big repair bills unless you are able to do the repairs yourself and then parts can be pricey. Knives and shear bar in a pull type is on average 5 to $700, spfh same parts can be as much as 2 grand or more. Also big choppers need big support like bigger mower and merger and trucks and packing tractor. Don't know what you have on your dairy, just putting those things out there because I've known farmers that up grade not thinking about the rest of it. Good luck with your search. I'll tell you once you start using a spfh you'll wander why you didn't do it sooner. :)

Around a $100k is budget. The deal here with Claas is that some guys are trading them for Deeres b/c parts are getting crazy. Also NO ONE has made it over 3000 hrs with out a significant engine failure or need of a rebuild. And Mercedes is a bugger to get engine parts for. Our guy said it was over $23000 and 6-8 weeks for parts etc b/c they dont offer a KIT for a engine. Individual parts only. He is looking at a Deere of new 9080 NH b/c of the parts prices and availabilty. We have a custom guy with a tinkered with 900 so the rest of the team is capable of keeping up. Been thinking of a 50 series Deere b/c they are the most common around here(parts and real good chopper tech). The couple FX guys across the border like their machines to though. And the NH dealer is good people. Since we sold our 900 I acually miss going in there. I do think Deere may be smart b/c way more aftermarket parts out there. Some good, some bad but there are 5-6 dairymen with them around to help with where to get what where. The Deere dealer is a buncha......well if you cant say anything nice. Thanks so far...........

All I can say is if your Deere dealer isn't the best go with the machine that has the best support, because when you have 200 acres flat and you have a brake down you need a good dealer who will do what it takes to get you going. The fx series are good choppers I think one of the few draw backs are they have the old style blower in them, the FX58 or 60 both have cat 3406's in them wich are bullet proof motors. Some of the smaller one have evicos motors in them and I have heard that they are good on fuel but don't know how tough they are. A friend has a FX58 and it's been a good chopper for him and he has a great dealer which is a must. Around here a lot of guys went with claas over the Deere 50 series and now with the 7000 series people have been going back. I think I would take a FX over a 50 series Deere. Hope that helps

Ummm, do none of you dairymen make silage in the rest of the counrty? Fiugred this would get a few debates moving at least of pull vs. self propelled. Why does eveerything have to cost more and be needed when prices are down?

We have a NH 1900(currently down right now, decided to put new bearings in the engine snd noticed this and that along the way) but we only milk 65-70 cows. It's been good to us, considering rebuilding the cutterhead and feedrolls simce it was used and not well kept up. Have an 892 as backup which is good right now.

i have a self propelled fox 6250 that is my backup chopper. does that count? :):rolleyes: we use a nh 900 pull type for the heavier use. neighbor has a 2115 nh that would be my choice if i was to buy a bigger machine. probably won't happen anyway.

There isn't much of a debate between pull and self propelled choppers. SPFH have more capacity, are built heavier, and you don't hurt your neck having to sit in the seat sideways and staring at the head and wagon or truck. If you have the finances and need, I would buy one without hesitation. At scholden's equipment in lynden Washington, which I imagine isn't a long way from you they have a nice looking 87' 2100 which is a late model which will have some of the options that a 2115 would have for 29000 and it's been there a while so I'm sure the price is negotiable. If that's to old, they also have a FX25 for 77000 and that's been there a while also, so go check them out and you'll see why there isn't much debate. I owned a late model 2100 a while ago and they are a tough machine to beat for their age.

We had a 900 for 10 years. KP and all. 200+ac of corn and 200+ acres or grass 5x-6x a year and then we got a the 8930. It wore out fast then! Good machines but it was about 16 hours for grass and 40 for corn. Them 2115/2100 are cheap and have great reviews. Horning makes a processor for 'em but man they are all old now also. Can anyone say why IH never made a chopper? A year ago a guy in Holland was trying to sell a FX38 that was painted and stickerd CIH. A FHX420 or something was model and he said in EU they sold 'red' FXs as CIH machines.. Never seen one again

My guess is that there wasn't enough demand to make it worth the effort for a money strapped company to put a lot of money into the development of a self propelled chopper. The later choppers from IH were a joint effort with new idea. In the early 80's the big players were NH, JD and fox and most of those were pretty crude. Just my thoughts

Pull type vs sp would greatly depend on the amount of land you are trying to cover. That being said, you could buy a new high capacity pull type unit that can cover a lot of ground in a day if you already have a high horsepower tractor.

In my experience a 1915 or 2115 NH is/was a great chopper. We ran a 19 for many years and it was reliable as heck. I have also chopped alongside a 2115 in grass/alfalfa and it was also very good and reliable. You wont be setting any land speed records with it but you will likely get the job done. Much more comfortable than a pull type. That being said they were great choppers and if you can find a low houred one that was well cared for you will be in luck, but they are getting long in the tooth. We now run a Claas 900 and a Claas 870 that are awesome machines and very reliable. The mercedes are a good motor and reliable as heck. If I were you I would look int a Claas 820 and see what you can come up with.

YES CASEIH DID HAVE A SP CHOPPER BUT IT WAS OVERSEAS. I FORGOT WHAT COMPANY MADE IT FOR THEM. THERE WAS A TOPIC BOUGHT UP ON IT A LONG TIME AGO.

we run a Gehl 1265 pull type. takes all the MX200 has to crank it.

kinda wish IH had made a self propelled. even pondered cutting down a 1400 series combine and building one.. someday perhaps. :lol:B)

Just about everyone around here (se wisconsin) that runs a spfh has a deere. Anything from a 6750 to a 7950. Most are 7300s or 7400s depending on the acres they need to cover. They all seem to be good machines and cover alot of acres. My neighbor bought a 7300 a few years ago. So we put a couple of silage trucks together, and now we harvest together. Previously we both got by with nh900's and made hay all summer. Now we can chop alot more acres in alot less time, which turns into better feed in the bunker and more milk in the tank. The biggest thing is to match the chopper to what you can push and pack into the bunker. If you chop it way too fast and dont pack decent, you are no better off than going slower with a pull type and having the pile open for a week or more.

We had a 900 for 10 years. KP and all. 200+ac of corn and 200+ acres or grass 5x-6x a year and then we got a the 8930. It wore out fast then! Good machines but it was about 16 hours for grass and 40 for corn. Them 2115/2100 are cheap and have great reviews. Horning makes a processor for 'em but man they are all old now also. Can anyone say why IH never made a chopper? A year ago a guy in Holland was trying to sell a FX38 that was painted and stickerd CIH. A FHX420 or something was model and he said in EU they sold 'red' FXs as CIH machines.. Never seen one again

I'd be running a pull type for that since you have a tractor to run it..............From what I seen most SP's that are priced decent need a ton of work/parts so they don't turn out to be very cheap in the end. Most of the guys here that had SP's were Uni-Systems, and a 900 NH pull type would out chop them.............Then nearly all those dairys dried up and blew away, just a bunch of empty buildings with grass grown up around them.............And a Blue Tombstone here or there.

Other than 1 guy, and he uses a custom operator with a claas, we all use NH pull types

Justin

a 491 series claas would make u a great machine. merc engines are good engines,they need normal coolant flushes etc,i am starting to see 5000 hrs and more on them with no issues.u gotta relise with spfh,if its rated at 500 hp,all 500 hp gets used most of the time with very few breaks

wth.......weird forum wont work

Speed of harvest is a big factor. Esp since around here 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th cuttings are always between weather breaks of rain so you have to DO IT asap. A pull behind like a FHX 300 or FP240 is good but still not a quick as a SPFH. 200 ac of corn took 6 days with the 900 3 row and the 240 wont be any faster, but in heavy grass, vs the 900. Here them things run $77000 with heads and a processor! But a $75k SPFH will need $15000 to get it up to snuff. But it will be fast and allow me to help a few neighbors out as well. $$$$ always gets in the way of fun dont it? ;)

have you got the trucks and packing tractor to keep up with whatever you buy? Its not faster if chopper is sitting waiting on trucks or if packing tractor can not keep up and a poor job of packing is done, that is a very crucial stage that is often overlooked.

I agree on deere parts support being bad.....seem to be very good choppers though. Old boss runs a '98 6850 with a 6-row kemper and it does well. Just redid injector s and pump this year!

YES CASEIH DID HAVE A SP CHOPPER BUT IT WAS OVERSEAS. I FORGOT WHAT COMPANY MADE IT FOR THEM. THERE WAS A TOPIC BOUGHT UP ON IT A LONG TIME AGO.

That's what I thought too, in fact it was nicknamed "Mammut" or something like that because the tractors were named the Magnum & Maxxum.

Yes there was a Case-IH badged forager it was sold in Europe , well a few anyway. It was made by Mengele in Germany. I think it was badged in Massey colours at one time also.You will have to put Case Mengele in google maybe.

If i was buying there is only ONE choice , CLAAS.

I spent many years working on them , nothing comes close , the 800/900's are so simple in the drive line , one large belt from the engine to the drum ,another drum to feeder thats it! No power hungry 90' gearboxes like Deere and New Holland, didn't the new Holland have a water cooled main cyinder gearbox or something?

I d take an old 690 or 695 before I went deere , at least you can have the door open and listen to that twin turbo V8 Merc barking out , in the old 690,695 etc the make a sound all of there own when under load.

Alex.