Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crustychrysler

706 farmall lp

13 posts in this topic

I just found a 706 farmal lp, wfe,runs,15 hrs on overhaul pistons,rings,liners& bearings.He says everything works,needs tires and lp leak repaired.1000$. have not seen it yet, going to look at it tonight, might post pics tommorrow.Texas tractor moved to northern Kentucky,odd around here.

Can anyone give me some info on it?How many made, Are they rare or collectable,desirable,usable or a turd.The price tag is throwing me off.Can the lp leak be fixed,can you even get parts?Or would this make a good diesel swap tractor,if so what?

My 504 is coming together slowly but nicely, thanks for everyones help, hope to here soon!

Tkanks Chris

P.S. May need paulbearers soon when she finds out!!!

Worth a thousand easy if it runs .

to me, any tractor that size that runs and works,is worth at least 3 times that much. The only thing on lp that can't be repaired is the tank its self.

I do not know if they are rare,but if I remember right you can change that back to gasoline pretty easy

A very large precentage of the Farmall 706's sold new in the Mississippi Delta were LPG. A very good and reliable tractor. You should definitely keep it on LPG.

IMHO

Harold H

I really like my Farmall 706LP. I paid $2,500 for it and have since put new tires on the rear and just last month put a new radiator in it. Otherwise it's all origianal. Not sure how many hours are on it but am pretty sure the head has never been removed. It still starts and runs great.

Not too mention, Refueling Head aches !

really???? pretty sure a blind 10 year old can refuel one from a transfer tank

i can fill my 450LP faster than i can slug around 5 gallon jugs and fill my 450 gasser

If you dont want that 706LP, id sur ebuy it for a stable mate to my 806LP

leave it LP, its kind of scarce as an original LP. I f you do decide to work it hard, better get ready to deal with a thirsty ole girl!

o.k.,so I guess I'm getting a 706 for a stable mate to my 504!!!(as soon as I can sell my scrap)He says the fill valve leaks, no fenders,he still has the cab that was on it,it looks aftermarket some windows broke, the wind blew it over but the sheet metal doesn't show signs of a cab. I don't farm, just help my uncle on sundays,but I love old tractors and like to mess with them more than my old cars anymore.Here are some pics, thanks for your help, I'm sure I will have more questions.I appreciate it!

Thanks Chris

by the way i have found that with toys of the past, It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission or else she won't let you get anything.

post-47026-0-26182700-1338415448_thumb.j

post-47026-0-92020500-1338415626_thumb.j

nice lookin tractor,we need pics of the cab too. :rolleyes:

So, what are the downsides and the week links? I did not ask this question with my 504 when i bought it for tug pulling, not many hot rod options available like the m's & 450's have

There's been a 706 LP around here since the 60's, and it's still one of my favorites for raking hay and odd jobs. LPs tend to be a bit hard on valves and such, but that is balanced by how clean the bottom side of the engine stays.

The LP's are a great tractor and parts are available.

Your local propane supplier can get any parts needed through Teeco.

If it is leaking at the fill valve, I would say the fill hose used by the now owner,

has a missing, or is bad, rubber gasket in his connector.

Like I say, if it is leaking all the time, the valve is available and not a big deal to change.

Run the tank dry, put out your cigarette, bleed off all vapor, remove and reinstall the new valve.

Be sure to use thread sealant that is fuel compatable.

RectorSeal is what the propane suppliers use.

The same people can get regulator kits.

If the regulator leaks, without turning off the tanks when the tractor is not in use,

and it is hard to start, the regulator may be leaking and flooding the engine.

Easy fix with the new kit.

Good luck with the purchase.

These LP's are being considered a bit odd and collectors are looking for them to complete their collection.

It will be good property to own.

Chris,

I agree with the other pro propane comments!

I have restored two old propane runners and am in process of restoring a third ,much older tanks then your dealing with. These tanks were setting for 20 plus years, had the propane Co. certify them, put new valves,I sandblasted them and painted. You don't need do that because you tank is fresh ,just change whats needed.

As to refueling, once you get used to it ,very simple and easy. If you already have propane use, just add wet line to tank,if not, you can buy a small nurse tank and gravity feed.

As to value of tractor. I believe propane makes them more desirable & interesting at shows and parades because of unique. However, price wise you'll perhaps command little more but nothing outstanding, unless you find a dummy like me who would like to save all L.P.'s :lol:

It appears you have a nice find, Unique and in decent shape and the price of 1,000.00 is not much at all. I paid 1000.00 last week for a MM U L.P. been setting forever, tires flat and nothing works. But it was what I had in mind.

As for asking permission VS. forgivness, In my six decades I have learned its much better to deal with forgiveness because you know precisly what your' dealing with and what you need to justify :rolleyes: Kinda learned this from DOT would go in ask and all I ever got was NO!. Started doing it and found that with little common sense they pass me by on highway . Also found out early, thats why they have Confessionals at my church :lol: .

Enjoy Your nice find and keep us posted.

Best, Tony