Photo

How important is timing?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 RED211

RED211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:35 AM

Well the 149 I got two years ago had a weak engine that wasn't original so I did a little job for a guy last year and got an almost new replacement 14 Kohler. I installed it last year and mowed MIL and my yard all summer. It ran good but the walbro just didn't seem right, like the governor wouldn't pick up and a bad dead spot off idle. I cleaned it to be sure and set timing before installation. It has been getting worse on power,or lack of it, and didn't start like it should, so I checked the timing yesterday before driving it up the block to mow MILs yard. I set the timing mark in center of hole and checked points with ohm meter. They had not broke so a slight adjustment had them breaking right on mark, and it was just a slight adjustment. WOW, what a difference, started better, idled better, no more dead spot on the throttle and plenty of power again.

So moral of the story, check you timing more than once a year if you want that old cub running like it should. Yee Haw, I love my Cub!

#2 Dr. EVIL

Dr. EVIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,718 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

I set the timing in my Kohler's with an inductive timing light. Wish the Onan in my 982 had timing marks!

#3 RED211

RED211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:38 AM

I plan on rechecking it with a light, time that day was a little tight. After running it I was so tickled with it's performance it can't be off by much. I didn't even get to re-adjust that stinky walbro so after that could be even better. I know the power was getting down bad enough that any uphill I had to slow down to keep RPM up with the 44" deck spinning. Looking forward, like I don't always look forward to cub seat time, to mowing my back yard since that is where the performance issue really showed up because of the slight uphill grade.