Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ertlerik

Cool picture IH 6788 in Dutch farm magazine

12 posts in this topic

Could not scan the whole pic, but thought it was cool enought to share.

This guy bought the 6788 in Nebraska, took it apart to fit in a container and shipped it to Holland were he uses it on the honeywagon and for tillage.

002-15.jpg

For a second that made me miss my old 6788, then I thought wow, if I was going to do that much work and expense to import a tractor for that kind of use it would at least be an STX275 or something...

Cool picture , you guys don't have any 2+2's over there ? We have a fair amount of them around this area, I have always had a soft spot for them.

Danny

Many years ago I shipped over a 3588 IH 2+2 to the Netherlands that was setup with the "enhanced" IH engine option package. This had the 3LM466 turbo, Bosch inline injection pump, inter-cooler and a few other "enhancements". The owner recently had an IH 4568 4wd shipped over there that came thru the C&G shop to be "chopped". More on this later when its finally completely restored to better than new.

Looking at the photo, that 6788 tractor is either worked hard, or the exhaust stack has had no care, its turned blue!!!

neat picture!

Cool picture , you guys don't have any 2+2's over there ? We have a fair amount of them around this area, I have always had a soft spot for them.

Danny

They were never sold new here, so the few that are here were imported by collectors.

Erik

Many years ago I shipped over a 3588 IH 2+2 to the Netherlands that was setup with the "enhanced" IH engine option package. This had the 3LM466 turbo, Bosch inline injection pump, inter-cooler and a few other "enhancements". The owner recently had an IH 4568 4wd shipped over there that came thru the C&G shop to be "chopped". More on this later when its finally completely restored to better than new.

Looking at the photo, that 6788 tractor is either worked hard, or the exhaust stack has had no care, its turned blue!!!

What i wonderd is how would you fit a tractor like that in a container, i would think even the axle's have to be taken of ?

Ken, the stacks on our 5488 and 6788 both turned color almost immediately. The ones on 1066/1086s have held the chrome very well. Maybe that's an issue I should have taken up with Thomure.

Here's 2 piccys of the 4568 before it left....

on the ground, ready to ship out...

IMG_3619JPG.jpg

The tractor (partly) packed in the container....

IMG_3633JPG.jpg

Is it a requirement that equipment be shipped in containers? If so, how do they break down a combine, or large construction equipment? BT&I has shipped a few combines to Australia over the years, and they literally packed at least one of them full of spare parts before sending it off.

I think the point of the shipping container is to keep the saltwater spray off, so it doesn't get to the destination as a pile of rust. Although that 4568 looks to have had aplenty of rust before shipping....

Ahhhh loading tractors into containers in the snow...... brings back memories......