Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

onecincyfarmer66

Rear Wheel Wobble

22 posts in this topic

We have a new to us IH 1066. It had 10% rear 18.4x38 tires. When you drive in road gear, the right rear tire has a slight wobble in it. This is a vertical wobble, IE the tire and rim look like they are wobbling in and out. This can be seen by someone following the tractor. We have replaced the tires and still there is this slight wobble. Any ideas to fix the wobble? We don't wear out brand new tires early!!!! Is the wobble something to be worried about?

Thanks

My neighbors 1066 he bought a couple years ago had the exact same thing. He had to make shims to put between the axle and cast wheel to get it to run straight. It has the clamps and not the wedges and I think it wears if they are not tightened properly.

We got wedge lock centers. Tom do you think that it could have worn like that if the wedge locks didn't get set and tighten right? My uncle thought something like that. This will be a hay tractor and right now its on narrow rows, so we need to move the wheels out. Just got to find a wedge lock tool!!!

If the wheel (cast center) runs true the wedges probably are not tightened evenly. There are two driver lugs that get put 90 degrees from each other and are different from the rest of the wedges. I would guess that the wedges are not tightened evenly and are tweaking the rim a bit

Good luck

Nate

We got wedge lock centers. Tom do you think that it could have worn like that if the wedge locks didn't get set and tighten right? My uncle thought something like that. This will be a hay tractor and right now its on narrow rows, so we need to move the wheels out. Just got to find a wedge lock tool!!!

I have no idea, I have never messed with wedgelocks. I am sure others on here will know.

I'm betting NATE has the right answer here. If the wedgeloc wheels were run slightly loose long enough the axle bar or wedges could be wore enough for the wobble to be in the wheel. I would fix the wobble, maybe moving the cast center to a different place on the axle will cure it.

If the rim clamps are the source of the wobble, jack the wheels up, loosen the clamps, tighten them in a cross pattern starting at the top, then bottom, then left & right side, a little at a time while checking for wobble.

i always tighten the rims like i do the Dayton wheels on the grain trucks with a hammer standing on its head and tighten them that a way

my 1066 has the same problem no matter where the wheel is on the axle. weve had it on 38,36 and now 30 settings. i say its a bad wheel cast center. one side wobbles and the other side is fine.

Thanks for all the insight!!! Guess I've got to try a few things to see what it is forsure. Even though we only travel 6-8 mile on the road to get to our other farms want to get it fixed. Now I got to find a wedge lock tool to get them loose. Will keep everyone updated when we get to it.

Thanks again

May sure all the little wedges holding the cast hub to the rim are aligned right.

The "wedge lock" is the part holding the wheel to the axle.

The things holding the rim to the wheel are just lugs.

I sincerely doubt that the wobble has anything to do with the wedge lock. Most likely the lugs are not tightened evenly.

I remember as a kid when Dad put wider rims on the 1066. They set up a gauge block near the rim and kept checking the "runout" as they tightened the lugs.

Here are instructions from Operator Manual .

There are 12 clamps that attach the wheel to the rim. Two of them are slightly different than the other ten . Look closely at all of them and if you find that the two " different ones" ( known as the fixed clamps ) are NOT at 90 degrees from each other AND not located on some of the driving lugs ( the little bumps) located directly on the raised bead of the rim, then , as someone already said , jack the tractor up and loosen the clamps enough to get the fixed ones re-located properly on the " bumps". Tighten them securely FIRST while the other ten are only loosely installed. When I do it, I install the fixed ones along with only two of the other ten ( the adjustable clamps) . I put the two fixed ones at the top, at about two o'clock and ten o'clock position , tighten them while two adjustable ones are loosely installed at about 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock . then snug the other two and then install the rest of them.

The two fixed clamps are the key to having the wheel and rim run wobble free.

I have seen numerous tractors with wobbley wheels and it is because the persons who changed the tires did not install the fixed and adjustable clamps properly,. They took them off , threw them in a pile and put them back on without knowing the difference in them.post-637-0-44255900-1336613895_thumb.jpgpost-637-0-31804200-1336613937_thumb.jpg

Not to be a grim reaper here but as a worst case scenario is it possible the axle is tweaked ever so slightly? Even a slight bend would transfer into a big wobble out at the edges of the rim or tires.

I've seen this before and fixed it. Every time it has to do with the clamps on the rim. Usually someone didn't tighten them evenly and as a result the rim is pulled out of round.

I would loosen up all the clamps and retighten them evenly. I would bet that it will run true after that.

Erich

I'd say its the clamps at the rim.

If you guys need a wedge-lock tool, I have one you can use. Just let me know.

Jason

Our hydro 70 does the same. The only time it is noticeable is if someone is following behind when driving down the road. Funny how it seems to only effect one rear tire and not both.

It's not the axle, it's not the center cast, it's like a few of the guys said here....it's the wedges around the outside of the casting.....simple fix. Follow directions in the owners manual and tighten those wedges down a little at a time while spinning the wheel. I just set a five gallon bucket next to the tire so I know which wedges need tightened.... It amazes me the amount of people that don't know this.

Travis

Alright thanks to all for the help. Hoping to get on it this weekend and get it back to running true! Now that I know.

It's not the axle, it's not the center cast, it's like a few of the guys said here....it's the wedges around the outside of the casting.....simple fix. Follow directions in the owners manual and tighten those wedges down a little at a time while spinning the wheel. I just set a five gallon bucket next to the tire so I know which wedges need tightened.... It amazes me the amount of people that don't know this.

Travis

lol never thought about it really.... we bought it new and the dealer set the width. It has been that way for 40 years.

Travis

lol never thought about it really.... we bought it new and the dealer set the width. It has been that way for 40 years.

Setting the width has nothing to do with it, unless they changed the rib that casting is setting on, then if they don't know what they are doing, it will wobble....let 'em wobble long enough and get loose, then you have problems.

Travis

Ok got an update. Removed the clamps and low and behold...one of the fixed clamps was in the wrong place. So changed that and retighted them evenly. Took it for a road test just tonight and it took out almost all of the wobble. Now the question is there always a slight wobble and/or would the bolts through the clamps being rusted and worn be a problem. We stripped one out and it was pretty bad. Just wondering on that. Noe the problem tire looks almost as good as the other tire. I've got hay to cut tomorrow so got to wait till I get it baled. Then we can get back to that and fix it right. For good!

You will never get them perfect. You have to settle for what is acceptable to you. I always put a block or stand or anything along side tire while tightening to check it. A wobble side ways won't hurt anything except annoy the operator. It is much worse when they wobble vertically and tractor hops up and down and that happens also. It sounds like you are on the right track now but do not over tighten to the point of stretching threads on the bolts.