Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Halsall

Tractor number plates in the USA

17 posts in this topic

I have noticed in the US that tractors with obvious number plates are a rarity.

I have been told they have tractor number plates in Texas, what about other stares?

Are number plates only required in urban areas?

In my part of the world, Australia, any piece of farm machinery driven on public roads has to display number plates.

Road driven tractors, combines, forklift trucks and telehandlers etc all display number plates here.

There is a seperate "Primary Producer" number plate issued to farm vehicles and a special "H" (Historic) or "CH" (Classic Historic) plates for antique vehicles used for parades and displays etc.

Regards from Michael H B)

In New Zealand, if it is on public roads tractors, and engine powered implements (combine harvesters etc) must have number plates and the driver must have the appropriate drivers license (car license for tractors etc but tracklayer category for crawlers) If the tractor can travel at more than 30 kph (about 20 mph) then it must also have a "warrant of fitness" (road worthiness: covers steering, wheel bearings, lights, brakes, tyres etc) which is valid for 6 months. You can tow farm implements behind (up to 12 feet (3.6m) wide) the tractor but in theory not behind other vehicles such as pick-ups, as the implements do not meet the rules for trailers or have registration (number) plates and warrants of fitness.

I can only speak for Mo, but we dont require license plates on our tractors. Im pretty sure none of the US requires them, but I could be wrong. I was told by an old DOT officer that anything under 45mph doesnt have to have a license plate, so Im thinking that is the general rule for all over the US... The only requirement is an SMV sign and or flashers.

Here in Indiana there not required , but let some pollatition figure out away to make money off them and there will be.

Not in South Dakota either.

Mike

Not required in Texas. (Here in Colorado, they are NOT required either, but since this is the home of legalized marijuana, some yuppie or California transplant will, at some point, raise the issue.

One thing that the worthless politicians have NOT stuck their fingers into, YET.

not required in illionios but a while back i did hear a rumor that they were gonna make it that you had to have a cdl to drive one on the road. hope im wrong tho

In Ontario you must be 14 to cross a road to another field I think and at 16 can drive on the road, must have have just a slow mover sign and have not had your Canadian drivers licence revoked. Legal to drive a tractor without a drivers licence but if you have lost it, you must walk... Lol

Back in the 70's Indiana required tractors on the highway hauliing grain to the elevator to have plates. Some did and some did not. We did just one tractor to be safe.

post-458-0-82183500-1335359775_thumb.jpg

post-458-0-41997700-1335359799_thumb.jpg

think our county highway dept has a tractor with a plate on it, never seen the tractor away from the garage area except when it is across the road at a tire shop getting a tire fixed. i have seen it at the county garage with a mower behind it, or hooked up to a generator in the winter other wise i have never seen it doing actual work.

Agree with ART!

Texas requires no ID for a tractor to be operated on the highway.

Even better; Texas requires no type of registration for a tractor .... a tractor is not taxed by the county or state in texas even when purchased as new. NO SALES TAX on farm equipment.

A farm trailer that weighs less than 4000# also requires no license or lights for that matter so long as it is only used in farm operations. Basically so farm stuff can be hauled from one field to another over public roads.

A farm trailer license for a 20,000# trailer is around $5. per year; must only be used for farm stuff, but I have not heard of anyone being stopped by the farm police.

My t railer that I use to transport the mower on is licened as a farm trailer; it does have brakes and lights for my own safety but no one has ever inspected it.

You can tow farm implements behind (up to 12 feet (3.6m) wide) the tractor but in theory not behind other vehicles such as pick-ups, as the implements do not meet the rules for trailers or have registration (number) plates and warrants of fitness.

I know of a man, many years ago, who tried towing a piece of farm machinery behind a car.

The machine had no brakes, no brake lights and no suspension.

At any "road pace" it bounced and fish-tailed around behind the car,

When he finally arrived home he found the wheel bearings had overheated due to the speed at which it was being towed! :)

Regards from M.H.

In Michigan all you need is an smv, not sure if there is a minimum age or not. Never been stopped by the farm police either. We can tow any farm equipment behind a truck as long as its not too wide and we keep it under 25 mph, but I have seen the ocasional round baler going down the hi way at 45+. A friend of mine did get stopped in a 30 mph zone doing 40 mph in a Fendt once, the officer couldn't believe a tractor could go that fast!

I have done similar test driving a JCB once after servicing it, pulled out of the dealer lot and wound it up down the street on the return trip it dawned that the tractor does 65kph and the speed limit was 50....... ooops :P

No plates required in MN either.

None needed in NY YET.