Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rosshouck

Pertronix Ignitor for 460 Gas

Gentlemen, have a few questions. Just recently purchased a Farmall 460 gas thats in need of a good tune up as it sputters and the points are terribly corroded. I've had good luck with pertronix ignitors in the past so im looking to put one on the 460 and possibly also my 560. My question is what is the pertronix part number? I'm thinking it's 1461 but i could be wrong. The local carquest can't look it up for some reason. Also, would it be worth my time getting a hotter coil with an internal resistor and different plug wires such as spiral core wires? Anything to make her run a little better and make the tune up last a long while. Thanks guys...JRS Ag Inc.

If your auto parts store cannot get the number, get a different parts store! LOL I seem to recall there were two different options, based on what distributor it came with. I don't know how much difference each individual part will make, but I put a pertronix, hot coil, high tech wires, and gapped the plugs wide, and made about 13% more hp on the dyno. Ran good, but my coil puked out before too long. Possibly because the key got left on.

Thanks guys, that will be helpful...It's hard to find a good parts man these days, seems like none of them care which is very frustrating...they're just there for the paycheck.

Thanks guys, that will be helpful...It's hard to find a good parts man these days, seems like none of them care which is very frustrating...they're just there for the paycheck.

My local Napa is pretty good, but the primary parts counter guy is the owner, so that makes a difference.

90% of parts people at the counter anymore are pimply faced teenagers, and the manager is the pimply faced teenager who hasn't been fired yet (O'Really, Shucks, Kragen, etc).

If there is no part listed on the computer, it must not be available or made is the parts man mentality.

If there is no part listed on the computer, it must not be available or made is the parts man mentality.

They hired a new gal at our local Napa. She's nice, she tries hard, and she's learning, but she's greeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnn.

I was in no hurry one day, but needed a cap for the H. I sat and watched her pound away on the 'puter for a good 15 mins until one of the old hand's came by and asked her what she was doing. He didn't get mad at her, he looked at me and said "YOU know that stuff isn't in the system, it's in the paper books".

Yeah, I know, but I'm bored and this was cheap laughs.

is she easy on the eyes at least?

is she easy on the eyes at least?

Not really, unless you're into the typical surbabanite mom-look thing.

Won't make a train turn around and take a dirt road, but she makes you think of sammiches and soccer practice.

My local Napa is pretty good, but the primary parts counter guy is the owner, so that makes a difference.

90% of parts people at the counter anymore are pimply faced teenagers, and the manager is the pimply faced teenager who hasn't been fired yet (O'Really, Shucks, Kragen, etc).

The part about the owner being the only one who cares is sure true at the local auto parts store in my nieghborhood . It's a family run store . Just yesterday i went in there to get a regular automotive gas filter inline one and the usuall parts idiot [ this guy isn't one of the owners ] askes me what i need and i told him and what size line and he goes to the book . The owners son came from the back askes me what i need so he goes to the parts bin and comes back with it before the other guy was done looking in the book.

The part about the owner being the only one who cares is sure true at the local auto parts store in my nieghborhood . It's a family run store . Just yesterday i went in there to get a regular automotive gas filter inline one and the usuall parts idiot [ this guy isn't one of the owners ] askes me what i need and i told him and what size line and he goes to the book . The owners son came from the back askes me what i need so he goes to the parts bin and comes back with it before the other guy was done looking in the book.

IDK if that would fall under the category of not caring, but not knowing.

At least he was smart enough to open the book.

I gave up going into my local NAPA. I went in there almost a year ago to get a gallon can of carb cleaner, had to look all over for the ONE they had, then asked the manager if they could get Hylomar gasket dressing. He punched around on his computer for a couple minutes, found their website, but never did tell me they could get it or ask me if I wanted him to order me some. So when I really need some I'll go to O'Reilly's or Car Quest.

I sure don't understand why some of these places make it SO HARD to spend money!

Ditto on the owner knowing his or in my case her $hit. We were in my wife's home town (small) at the local NAPA store. I needed an o-ring told the guy at counter and he was looking on the computer. She piped up asked me what it was for and told him where to go to get the box of O-rings.

But the best part was she was on the phone with a customer, telling where the o-rings are and helping another guy at the counter all at the same time. WOW!

As to looks she was average. But what she lacked in looks she made up in charisma.

All I know is a good parts man is hard to find and worth every cent and sometimes more than they are paid! Nothing worse than driving 20+ and sometimes more miles to just come home with the wrong part because the original was either missing or damaged beyond recognition. Some of these guys can't get it right even when you bring in the old part and they still order the wrong one!!!