Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gerald33

TD9 seized engine

6 posts in this topic

to soak pistons can put penetrant in cylinders through spark plug holes or should injectors be removed

Hi.

Sounds like you are working on a gas start, if so I would open the starting valves. If the staring valves are making a good seat nothing will get into the cylinders. I found that out after I pulled the head on a 650 I thought I had soaking for a few months.

Cheers

Russ

Have same problem, right now. Seems to me, years ago, this 350 in my 57 TD9-91seized up and it was a stripped timing gear that locked it up. I wasn't here at the time and no one left that knows what happened. Does this make sense?

Timing gears have sure been know to fail. Not one of the stronger points on these engines.

Generally if the decompression valves are open, some fluid will leak down past the rings, however slowly. My experience is limited here but so far it has always worked that way.

Are you sure it's the pistons? mine was locked so tight that a pipe wrench with a 7' cheater on it wouldn't budge it either way. Backed off all main & then rods till I found the spun one. Till then I'd never seen one that tight either way with a spun rod bearing. good luck