Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rsscott

Zero Turn Mowers

40 posts in this topic

It has come the time to buy something to cut my grass around the house as my wife has a problem with four R2 tires running in the lawn. 20.8/38 and a bush hog dont do much to manacure the lawn! I am looking at SCAG Turf Tiger or Cheetah. Kubota, or Exmark. 60 inch deck. My lawn is rough and I need something with a suspension seat and something not easily stopped up in the radiator. Any opinions would be nice. Dont post about anything green as that has been banned from the farm. Thanks in advance.

I have owned Exmark's for the past 10 years and have had excellent results. I run two machines, both with the 27 Hp Kolher with 60" cut. I have just under 2500 hours on both machines with only minor issues. I have heard alot of good about the Scag, but nothing looks better than red paint!

Im partial to Dixon mowers and prefer the kohler engines. I always get the heavy duty mulch blades along with the mulch kit cor the deck. I also run slime in the tires and that seams to help eliminate most flats. There has been alot of improvements in different brands. Heaver decks, better spindles and bearings. Deck lift assist and damper is nice to have too.

Don't get a Scag as it will beat you to death, very ridged mower! Air cooled Kohler all the way, cheapest motor and the best. Kabota is a waste of money as the diesel motor that last 10,000hrs on a mower that last 3,500hrs will never pencil out. The Kabota will also not hold a hill and is a heavy mower. Exmark would be a great choice as would Hustler but you have to get a Kawasaki on the Hustler and I dont like them. I am seriously thinking about getting a Bushhog zero turn as it is very heavy duty. has a 30hp Kohler, and can be had for $10,000OTD

I spent 12 years strait on these things all day/every day for what its worth.

Take look at the cub cadet TANKS got one last year and have been pleased with it reallynwell built nice seat and roll bar.

Just my 2 cents but I'm sold on my Grasshopper. The flip up front mounted deck is the best part. I can sharpen the blades with a 4" grinder and never take them off.

Mike

neighbor just got a new cub cadet, zero turn with a steering wheel.

Works, and looks pretty good.

I could hold my beer with one of those.

We have a Scag, been a great mower, easy to change blades, would buy again. My buddy has a Husler and hes had good luck also.

We currently run a gravely and it's a great mower

Have had grasshoppers and found them to be under powered, and found a scagg to be a good mower as well

Justin

Have two Dixon Grizzly mowers with 72" decks.

Been trouble free and that is what my Case IH dealer sales.

Cub Cadet Tank or any of their steering wheel zero turns. We have sold dozens of them and have yet to have 1 go bad.

If you want a good mower and a great ride get a Ferra , they have independent suspension on all the wheels and a great seat. I know how farm lawns are and i'm sure you would be happy with it. I have a bushhog ztr. with the front mount deck and had to get a suspension seat , cause it rode so rough . My brother has a Ferra with a 60" deck and it rides 100% better than my bushhog at low speed . They are also built with alot of quality.

You could always build your own........ ;)

post-5016-0-95748000-1333857852_thumb.jp

Mike

This is the best for your money, starts every time. Dosent use gas or oil. All it needs it a beer holder. Best of all it will last forever..

post-6167-0-21710600-1333890285_thumb.jp

Who makes cub cadet zero turns?

John Deere (Lesco) makes the Tank and other bigger Cub Cadet's, I think MTD makes the little ones.

If you want a good mower and a great ride get a Ferra , they have independent suspension on all the wheels and a great seat. I know how farm lawns are and i'm sure you would be happy with it. I have a bushhog ztr. with the front mount deck and had to get a suspension seat , cause it rode so rough . My brother has a Ferra with a 60" deck and it rides 100% better than my bushhog at low speed . They are also built with alot of quality.

John, Would the mower you are talking about be a FERRIS ?

I know what you mean about the ride on zero turn. In the 60's and 70's was around and sold a lot of Lawn Tractors. Lost track after my 31 year stint at Auto Dealership. In 2004 when I came back to Case/IH Dealer , they said "want to mow the lot?" . I said probably can't run a Z-Turn. I decided to try and liked everything but the ride. Of course the machinery lot was much rougher than most lawns but soon figured out that fast mowing speed and all would mean a rough ride.This 71 year old back wouldn't stand riding one all day . But the quickness and trim ability was great. Would have to have all suspension, best seat, etc. if I bought one. Bill

The Farris is nice but there is no way I am spending $15,000 on a zero turn with a Briggs motor (only motor available on commercial series), I also worry about the springs fatiguing after use and sitting, a pivoting front axle is good enough for me.

As long as Scag keeps making them, I'll keep buying them. I would consider them the Stieger of the lawn mowers. Our's is a Turf Tiger, 60", 27 hp water cooled Kawasaki. If this one ever needs replaced I'd get a 72". Wife's nephew has a lawn care business and has 6 Scag Turf Tigers and a couple self propelled walk behinds and swears by them.

I bought a new Everride Warrior about 6 years ago. I have had no complaints. It has a plate deck, dual pumps and is very fast. These mowers don't seem to be priced as high as some of the other popular brands. They are owned by Ariens. I've started to see a few of the local lawn maintenance companies start to run them around here.

http://www.everride.com/html/home/

My dad has run Ferris for years on his 6 acres of lawn. The independent suspension is very nice for those not so smooth lawns.

I have a Scag Turf Tiger, 29 Horse Kawasaki fuel injection that is great on fuel. Bought it new in 2006 and have not done anything to it except regular maintenance. I would buy another one.

How about a Cub with a 60" belly mower? That's what I mow with and I really like it, of course I'm partial to olderIH stuff! By the way, mine's at the restorer now- hope to have some pictures soon. ^_^

I have a Bad Boy Mower. It has a 35 hp Cat diesel with a 72 inch deck. This thing is made like a tank. It has a rubber mounts on the axles so it rides nice. You can mow as fast as you want. I have only 750 hours on it and except for oil and filters nothing has been done to it. I have had John Deere, EX Marks and scags and several other zero turn mowers this mower is ten times the mower they were. I will give the Arkansas people credit for one great mower Mine is a 2011 model and just a little different than this one.

http://www.badboymowers.com/view/2012-diesel-series

How about a Cub with a 60" belly mower? That's what I mow with and I really like it, of course I'm partial to olderIH stuff! By the way, mine's at the restorer now- hope to have some pictures soon. ^_^

We traded a Cub 185 Low Boy with a 60" deck for our Cub Cadet 3660 ZTR with a 60" deck and what took 4 hours to mow with the 185 takes a little over an hour with the 3660.