Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve C.

Straight pipe envy

45 posts in this topic

This guy evidently thinks his Dodge looks real mean this way, but he's got enough pipe for 1000 cubic inches. Wondering if he's trying to compensate for other things which might be smaller than average. ;)

Which got me wondering, how does straight pipe size affect engine performance in a turbo'd diesel? I've heard different theories, but figured some of you guys would know the facts.

post-8329-0-21290700-1333155715_thumb.jp

they r aussie stacks. only look to be about 6 inchs. i only have one 7 inch flapper stack on my cummins :wub:

have seen alot of these, must be the next new thing

why would an inline 6 need dual stacks?.....and that guy probably doesn't know what a rain cap even is.

From what I hear anything over 4 inches is just for show on pickups as 4 inch pipe is able to flow enough exhaust to keep up with even a performance pickup-size diesel.

i like stacks... as long as its not THAT big, and that they aren't on my truck.. B):lol:

Each to his own , but those are those are a bit much . Heck you don't see to many semies with something that big .

The redneck hillbilly stacks have been showing up around here for at least 5+ years. :(

We got a local kid running around Minot that has dual 8" on his Chevy 1500 pickup. I have been quite tempted to go and drop a few kids size bowling balls down them when its in a parking lot some day. :ph34r::lol:

So given the pipe size to engine displacement ratio I calculated that the 549 V8 in my old fire truck will need the culverts from my driveway for me to be cool! :P

I think they're ridiculous, but oh well, not mine. But I have a question. How do you install those. I mean you would have to make holes in the truck bed, no?

Or, are the pipes skinny or flattened to run up the gap between the cab and the box, and then get made large like that after they rise above the top edge of the bed's box? I've never seen a setup like that from up close in person, just from passing by on the road.

Rick G.

I personally think they look goofy. The guys that usually run them run chips and like to see them smoke. Gives the EPA and other tree huggers reason to push for tighter emissions. Eason

I think they're ridiculous, but oh well, not mine. But I have a question. How do you install those. I mean you would have to make holes in the truck bed, no? Or, are the pipes skinny or flattened to run up the gap between the cab and the box, and then get made large like that after they rise above the top edge of the bed's box? I've never seen a setup like that from up close in person, just from passing by on the road. Rick G.

only gotta drill one hole in the bed for 2 stacks. then goes to a y-pipe tht the stacks sit on. that guy probaly has a grand in his stack setup.

Ah OK. Thanks loadboss.

Rick G.

its a younger generation thing, im currently in it now :P

its a younger generation thing, im currently in it now :P

ours was dual cb anntenas

Cripes! My 550 kitty did'nt have 8" stacks on it! 6" was more than enough.....yep had dual whips on all my pickups....still do!

The stacks have been a big thing around here since about 2004. It was a rule around here that you had to have a serious truck in order to run stacks. It has now gotten out of control, bigger and more rediculous. I like stacks but tastefully done looks much better than huge stacks, and I really like single versus duals. Plus they take up bed room, and if you have a short bed there is hardly any room left to haul anything.

I run a cummins, and roll a little coal with it, but not what some guys do, I agree that it gives the EPA a reason to tighten up on us all.

Justin

I would assume that if you looked under the bed of that truck there is a 4" pipe from the turbo to a splitter under the upright pipes.. The same thing as the Class 8 ers that are running 10" pipe.. Complete overkill, I suppose it is just like the beener wannabees that have to run 20" wheels on their Caprice.. Go figure.

I figure if you guys that pull could get an advantage from it, you'd be running giant pipes too.

But hey, when these little fellers are financin' it all anyway, what's another couple of grand?

I could have swore that pu belonged to the guy that has een painting our 1206 (will be 2 yrs this July :angry: ) till I saw the license plates then noticed the window decal was different. I wonder, does the guy that drives that pu also carry a gun all the time?

My Cummins does NOT have stacks, nor will it. Its not chipped either. After you chip them and whatnot then you get to drop a few grad in a transmission. I figure the truck does what I need it to in stock form.

my truck is running a SCT livewire with custom 180hp tune over stock,and 4" from turbo back and its plenty of exhaust for it. I personally think stacks are gay, but what do I know??? lol my buddy runs a diesel shop here in town and he sells the crap out of those ozzy(Aussie?) stacks. The big thing now is 8" stacks here which is retarded as ill get out.

4345522869_6ac84c9e8a.jpg

its not to often that stacks are done decently. anything over 6 inches seems ugly.

4345522869_6ac84c9e8a.jpg

its not to often that stacks are done decently. anything over 6 inches seems ugly.

I was trying to talk dad into putting one on his 3/4 ton, but he liked it plain jane, under the bed out the rear corner. lol He said he didn't want his truck loud or funny looking.

I've always said bed-stacks are gayer than AIDS, and i stand by it to this day...