Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tractorshark

freeing up wedge on rear wheels?

9 posts in this topic

We are wanting to move the wheels on the new to us 7140 and can't get the wedge to release on one of the wheels. Have tried many things with no luck, haven't used heat, and was wondering if that is ok or not? One side went real easy, but one just won't break free. We even put a dual hub on and used two jacks to apply more pressure to the wheel with no luck, just wondering what some of you have had work? As always thanks.

Mark

get a good 1/2 or 3/4 impact and just keep buzzing the wedge bolts in and out takes a while at times but it will work

This has been a good subject a few times . Lots of suggestions but more of them said to take a heavy sledge hammer and hit the end of the axle. Ive never done this so i don't now . Just that it won out over most other posts .

I assume you have the clamp that goes around the wedge lock for it to back out and hit against? Usually one side will break loose with out much problem but it can be challanging sometimes to break loose the other half. I have a few times when nothing else worked, break loose the one half and then go for a short drive making many turns left and right. Has never failed to break loose doing that. Trick is not so back the wedge out so far that it really becomes so loose as to mess up the key ways when it does loosen up. I would try that before the big hammer as it is much easier on the axle bearings. If a tractor will not move then the big hammer does come into play but it sounds like you are just wanting to move a wheel. Good luck. Dennis

get a good 1/2 or 3/4 impact and just keep buzzing the wedge bolts in and out takes a while at times but it will work

Yup, gotta be a real strong 1/2" impact to have a chance with a stuck wedge.

This has been a good subject a few times . Lots of suggestions but more of them said to take a heavy sledge hammer and hit the end of the axle. Ive never done this so i don't now . Just that it won out over most other posts .

Not a good idea to hit the axle on the end. Too much chance of damaging the bearings. Hitting down on the axle can help shock the wheel loose.

I assume you have the clamp that goes around the wedge lock for it to back out and hit against? Usually one side will break loose with out much problem but it can be challanging sometimes to break loose the other half. I have a few times when nothing else worked, break loose the one half and then go for a short drive making many turns left and right. Has never failed to break loose doing that. Trick is not so back the wedge out so far that it really becomes so loose as to mess up the key ways when it does loosen up. I would try that before the big hammer as it is much easier on the axle bearings. If a tractor will not move then the big hammer does come into play but it sounds like you are just wanting to move a wheel. Good luck. Dennis

Magnums use a one piece conical wedge with three forcing screws through the flange to push on the wheel hub.

No horseshoes are used here.

Driving the tractor with pressure on the forcing screws might help.

Cutting the wedge with a torch might be necessary. Be sure and put a guard over the axle seal to protect it from the cutting slag and heat.

I've had good luck with 3/4 or 1 inch impact on one of the screws and using a loooong breaker bar on another forcing screw at the same time. Rotate around the screws to increase tension evenly.

There is a good chance that the forcing screw ends will be swaged when you're done getting the wheel loose.

Sledge hammer , safety glass's and start pounding on the outer end of the axel. Like the other guys said 3/4 or 1" drive impact , after it comes loose put never seize on the wedge so the next poor guy can get it loose !!!!

Danny

I know that the clamp setup is different but I just went through this the other day on the 1456.

One side of the wedge finally released but the other was stubborn. I tried my impact and finally had a 3/4 drive breaker bar with cheater pipe on it.

Once I had cranked it as far as I could with the cheater, I took a 5 lb hammer and gave it a good whack on the top of the axle end.

Bang! The whole wheel jumped as the wedge finally released....

Hope you get it broke loose!

-FT

Danny with the safty glasses you forgot the ear plugs for when it gives up.

I have a large industrial gear puller. I put a piece of plywood against the wall, tighten it up, and stand back and hit the top of the axle. This has never failed but DO NOT stand in front of it. It will come off like a rocket ship and the plywood keeps it from putting a gaping hole in the shed wall. Like Danny said, never sieze it to the max before you put it back and it will be a breeze for the next time.

jerry