Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jayh56757

Feeding cattle with a bale processor

A bull customer of mine is selling his bale processor and was nice enough to let me try it out before buying. I ended up with some pretty coarse hay last year with all the rain and waiting to cut. I would like to set up some kind of bunk system or fenceline to feed with a bale processor in the years to come. I would like to put it in some kind of bunk to save the alfalfa leaves in the better hay. I am willing to build it right the first time, but can't go all out as if money was no object.

The other problem I face now when feeding bales is that my cows are too used to my tractor. I'm afraid I'm going to run over a leg or something one of these days. Would love to have some kind of a electrified bumper or something. It gets tough in snowy or muddy conditions when I need to keep my speed up to get to where I"m going. Any ideas?

This may sound dum but couldn't you build a bumper say 8-10 ft. on the front of your trac. something out of pipe say 1-1/2 "and make it so it's easy to take off and put back on , unless this is all this tractor will do .

I have a 2650 haybuster and pull it with a 1086. I did use it on some alfafa but went back to unrolling it with a hydra bed and they slicked it up better,it was #1 quality alfalfa too. I mostly use it when its wet out. Those cows will get back ,there is a deflector that keeps them 4 feet away from the back wheel. They don't want in that dust anyworse than you :) . I run L1 wide open Processing, seems to chew it up well.

What kind of processor?

we feed our cows with a 2650 haybuster. they move over when you come by. we are going to bottomless bunks to feed next year. pick them up with the loader and move when full. the bale shredders work great when cows are out in the pasture just feed on the ground.

The only thing I worry about is baby calves. The cows stay out of the road. There are people that make grain tanks so you can feed some pellets or something. Bale King, Vermeer, and Haybuster have different types. The Haybuster one is pretty easy to add on to an old machine. I have a liquid feed tank on mine. Works slick for putting on a molasis type stuff for poorer quality hay. Evey cow gets some that way too. Ive had some that didn't like tubs, cubes, etc. It really does wonders with rough/moldy hay. As well as save time. The new Vermeers have spinning flails that are soposed to "chop" the hay up like a hay grinder after its been through the first set of flails. Spendy option but so is a hay grinder @ $295 an hour.

As far as alfalfa goes, a lot of guys round here get a final drive out of an old combine, and turn it into a spinner. I think JD are teh better ones. They have a break or something. Make a 3 pt bracket, and put some sort of spike on the side that would mount up where the tire would of. I know of guys feeding alfalfa with a processor. Lots of dust (leaves). What ever works for ya I guess!