Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

johnandmichellecologna

Need more help on my 1066

7 posts in this topic

Ok, well Ive been stewing over this for a day or two now, and its about to drive me up a wall. I purchased a DT466 to replace the 414 in my 1066, I finally got it in there, but I left the tac cable off the tac drive, since the tractor is stripped down for paint. When I got the engine in the tractor, I changed the oil, and then took it down the road to the wash bay. Got over there and spent two hours washing on it, and thought I would check the oil, and it had water in it. The level never came up, but it was enough to turn the new oil gray. The old oil never had a trace of water in it. The only thing I did to this engine was change front covers, so Im leaning towards one of two possibilities.

A)The water entered the oil pan through the open tac drive as I was washing it. I did spend alot of time washing on the front of the engine, before I realized what I was doing.

Or

b)I screwed up the new front cover gasket when I put it on, which I find very unlikely.

Im really hoping its a, but I dont know how much water it would take to turn the oil from a clearish brown, to a gray color? But then again I did spend the biggest part of my two hours on the front of the engine, with a pressure washer. Maybe Im over reacting, but I just want this done. It seems like every time I finish one thing on it, ten more problems show up.

What do yall think is the most logical reason to this??

John,

What if you change the engine oil and filters, then just monitor the situation to see if it quickly re-occurs. If not fine. If it does, you'll know it wasn't the power washing and will have to start a deeper investigation.

Rick G.

Do you have antifreeze in the cooling system? Crack the oil drain plug loose and see it you get water or antifreeze.

No, I just put straight water in it temporary. This engine came out of a 3788 which had the electrical temp sender, so I opted to leave it in there until after I got it painted and then put my mechanical sender in it, so I didnt want to fill it with high dollar antifreeze and then have to drain it right back out.

John,

What if you change the engine oil and filters, then just monitor the situation to see if it quickly re-occurs. If not fine. If it does, you'll know it wasn't the power washing and will have to start a deeper investigation.

Rick G.

Rick, I thought about that but Im going to go ahead and paint this tractor while I have it tore apart so I dont want to have it all painted and then find out Ive got to pull it all apart again for this. Im kinda trying to knip it in the bud if you will...

I'd spring for option A.

dad did a similar thing with the skid loader this spring. had a oil leak, washed the engine with hot water, come to find out a plug came out the top of the oil pan, check oil. and sure enough water in the oil.

so drop the oil, fill with fresh and see if it changes.

Drain the oil over night , then get ahold of a coolant pressure tester, pump it up and see if it leaks water , if so drop pan and see from where , if not try oil/filters and run it