Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paul brown

How many of you run a disc mower with an open station tractor?

36 posts in this topic

We would like to get a disc mower - three point mount. However, we don't have a cab tractor freed up when we need to mow hay and waterways. We have been nervous about it throwing up rocks and debris and hitting the operator. I noticed in Cliff Neubauer's pictures that they pull a discbine with an open station 5140. Does anyone else use an open station tractor and what kind of experience have you had with it throwing rocks and debris at the operator? Thanks for any information you can provide. (And yes, I know this would be an excellent excuse to get another cab tractor - it's just hard to convince my wife of that!) Paul

Our mower is covered with a think, canvas that protects the operator from flying debris.

Without that, I would think you would be getting hit with all kinds of stuff.

They are really nice mowers.

Have run a disc mower for many years with an open tractor and you must have a good canvas on the mower because they will throw "stuff" . I will agree that a cab tractor would be best in the long run and would use the item of safety as a good reason to have a cab tractor on the mower.

I've never had a cab tractor to use on the discbine, just used an 806 open station. Never been hit by anything, ever. That being said, if you were doing, say, roadside ditches and scrub areas, you may hit more stuff and it would be a bigger issue. I've had rocks plink against the hood and the flap, but they do their job and stop things.

I"ve always run a 3pt mounted disc mower on an openstation tractor. It sucks if you hit a red ant bed but other than that the canvas keeps most deris from kicking up. I prefer to run a disc mower on an open frame so I can hear the mower run better and I like to hear the engine run. If it does become a pronlem and kicks up too much deris towrd the operator. I've seen numerous ways farmer/ranchers have made a screen to mount on the right fender. Ive also seen rocks bust out windows on a cab tractor too.

DSC00493.jpg

Will I need a stone shield if I say that is a nice looking 3020?

I bought a pull-type NH discbine last year and ran it with my 1256 (seen to the left) and lived to tell the tale. i pretty much know where the rocks are in the fields and tilted the head back a bit to keep from catching them. a cab would be preferable, though, and i agree that a good canvas is a must.

looks like a 4020 to me? nice looking tractor indeed

I stand corrected (But I could have blamed former President Bush)

I have ran a discbined for 4 years now with out any problems. I highly AGREE that a good canvas is a MUST. Plus if your canvas isn't any good, it will allow the air from the disc's to blow the hay over before it mows it! That sounds dumb but I have seen it in person, with the neighbors machine. And I have noticed when mowing a 4th, or 5th cutting if the stand isn't very tall, that it will not mow as nice too.

My 2 cents

Jason

We mower for 20 years with a Vicon 8' mower/conditioned with our 684. We have rocky land and lot of moles to make sure the rocks stay above ground. Been hit 100s of times. A few bloody ones but no serious injuries. When we would cut the top rockier feilds we would where a sweatshirt with the hood up and just periphially glimpse back at the machine. After you get hit in the temple a few times you get smart about how much you show your face to that machine gun. The canvas was always kept in top conditon and replaced when holey. Still threw them buggers though. Now we have 2 Hesston center pivot m/cs and mow with cab tractors. I have 7' wide plexiglass rock shield mounted to the rear fender to cab mounts on both the MX170 and MC135 McC. Need new 'glass' for the shields about every 3 years. They work well and dont get in the way and are light enough you can one man them on and off.

I have ran a discbined for 4 years now with out any problems. I highly AGREE that a good canvas is a MUST. Plus if your canvas isn't any good, it will allow the air from the disc's to blow the hay over before it mows it! That sounds dumb but I have seen it in person, with the neighbors machine. And I have noticed when mowing a 4th, or 5th cutting if the stand isn't very tall, that it will not mow as nice too.

My 2 cents

Jason

Jason is right. I have never seen a sickle bar mower even work in real life b/c we only had disc for 30 years. Bad canvas make grass blow over. Esp later cuttings and when going fast. Jason have you ever just throttled back a few 100 rpm? In the manual for our hesstons that is the recommended 'cure' for blow down.

We use an open station 1650 Oliver. We also have more rocks than dirt. We keep a good canvas on and keep the head rolled back just a bit. I've seen it throw dirt and small stones here and there but never been hit.

Years ago a buddy of mine was using a NH disc mower around an old barn. His son was scouting the area for him. He felt a stinging in his head. Was it a bee sting? No a metal wire marking flag was lodged in his head. The mower had thrown it. They pulled it out of his head about 1/2 inch. He was fine. Be careful the disc will pick up just about any thing including pink misted ground hog. Be careful!

Ever see a bush hog blade break cut fender and braces and tire in to the wheel center? 2 more feet to the left of tractor only you can guess.

I have a new Case/IH. The owners manual says cab tractor only. I use my open station 1256 but I did install a 2 ft. X 4 ft. plexiglas, 1/4 in. thick behind me. Two seasons with no projectiles yet. Ken Ryan

Mow with an open Hydro 86 and have never had a problem.

I have a new Case/IH. The owners manual says cab tractor only. I use my open station 1256 but I did install a 2 ft. X 4 ft. plexiglas, 1/4 in. thick behind me. Two seasons with no projectiles yet. Ken Ryan

Good idea

My brand new NH 7450 discbine broke the rear window of my 7210 last year in first cutting, and I had to replace it with plexiglass. So I would say no to an open station tractor without some type of shield, either plexiglass or expanded metal.

When you use a grinder, do you put on safety glasses, would you walk through the woods on deer opener wearing a brown jacket and fur cap?

As Ron White put it, it's not "how" the wind blows, it's "what" the wind blows. It doesn't matter how clean your fields are there's always the chance of picking something up and sending it in the wrong direction. Many people on here can say they never had an issue, but all it takes is once.

A full cab would be nice, but honestly, won't do a bit of good with standard glass in it - the things that will do real harm to the guy in the seat will go straight through most cab glass right before they go through him. A good lexan shield between you and the mower is what is really needed, and I wouldn't shy away from some sort of woven steel screen as well.

The main thing is to stop, or at least slow down any debris from making a direct hit between you and the mower, a full cab probably isn't needed as long as the only projectiles that can reach you have to be a ricochette from some other direction.

We use a New Idea discbyne behind either the neighbors 656 utility or dads 660 with no issues at all.

When you use a grinder, do you put on safety glasses, would you walk through the woods on deer opener wearing a brown jacket and fur cap?

As Ron White put it, it's not "how" the wind blows, it's "what" the wind blows. It doesn't matter how clean your fields are there's always the chance of picking something up and sending it in the wrong direction. Many people on here can say they never had an issue, but all it takes is once.

A full cab would be nice, but honestly, won't do a bit of good with standard glass in it - the things that will do real harm to the guy in the seat will go straight through most cab glass right before they go through him. A good lexan shield between you and the mower is what is really needed, and I wouldn't shy away from some sort of woven steel screen as well.

The main thing is to stop, or at least slow down any debris from making a direct hit between you and the mower, a full cab probably isn't needed as long as the only projectiles that can reach you have to be a ricochette from some other direction.

From experience, the glass is enough to protect you. ONCE. Besides scaring the %^&*( out of you, you dont get hit with the rock etc. The prob is when you keep going and then the windshield gets shattered b/c the back window aint there to stop anything and it missed you. Yikes! Been there. Our best bet is to mow with the cutter bar about 4"-5" from the dirt. Keep the mower curtain FULL of grass. If your getting a 10' swath with a 12' mower it lets the rocks go where the grass aint. If the deck is full the grass does 'catch' most material. Rocks are my big thing but I have seen fencing parts get sucked up and beer cans etc. It is amazing how you can be going 12-16mph with a 15' cutterbar and conditioner 4" off the ground with 2 1/2' tall grass and stuff gets sucked up and thrown fwd like a slingshot! Make a shield buddy. you wont regret it

I've never run a disc mower but have run bushhog type mowers over lots and lots of acres, only once do I remember running the neighbor's big 12 ft JD mower with a tractor w/cab. We were cutting 40 acres of permanent pasture on a new farm he bought. The 40 was divided up into five little odd shaped fields and I was mowing the weeds ahead of pulling the fences out.

I've never been hit by anything when bushhogging, but have hit a fair amount of stuff. If I was going to run a disc mower with an open station tractor I think I'd make a shield from 4 or more 1/8th inch thick clear LEXAN sheets formed into a arc curved around the seat extending at least head-high. Plexiglass & LEXAN are similar but LEXAN is much much more tough and shatter resistant, and the thinner sheets are more flexible and would let it form the arc easily, and even with 4 or more sheets you can see thru it easily until it gets all scratched/scuffed up. The arc would make it much stronger to resist impacts too.

What's that old saying about an Ounce of Prevention being worth a ton of cure?

EVIl is right on. Also 1 1/8" sheet of plexi 3'x7' is what we have on our MX tractors. Enough to protect the window and go past the fenders a shade. Works fine. Every year they get a few 'stars' and after 4-5 seasons they are cracked and I get new ones for about $20 something. A 1"x1" steel tubing frame holds them and is light. 1/2x2" chanel is the mount to the 1x1. I just zip screw them on and just replace the screws when replacing the 'glass'. Yeah a sheild is cheaper than stiches! Esp if your mowing ditches with who knows in them.

Man, I dont know, maybe Im stupid, but all Ive really ever had was an open station tractor on a disc mower/bine. I have yet to be hit with anything(knock on wood).

summer20112171.jpg

http://s378.photobucket.com/albums/oo222/JandMFarms/?action=view&current=summerof10014.mp4

The only time I've been hit by a rock when mowing hay was way back when we were still using the 1190 and the reel must have pulled a rock up into the bottom roller that shot it out and it hit me in the side of head.