Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eason

504 side panels

19 posts in this topic

I was looking on Tractor house and thought this 504 looked odd. Note the side panel where the 504 emblem is is longer.

http://www.tractorho...px?OHID=6652387&

This early model is shorter

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6755133&

I never noticed this before Eason

I think someone made that panel and shortened up the panel where it says Farmall,note you cannot see the fan shroud.

Guys, I've got a bunch of pics of 504s, and nearly all of them have the wider panel.

Bill

post-42413-0-27545300-1331692960_thumb.j

post-42413-0-12217900-1331692980_thumb.j

Both tractors have IH factory stock side panels for a 504 Farmall. The early 504's (pre-1964) had the narrow radiator side panel and you could see the long fan hub and fan blade. The 504 has the same length frame rails as a 460/560 with a six cylinder engine. The 504, being a 4 cylinder engine, has more space between the block and the radiator. Thus the long fan blade hub. IH decided to change that "look" mid production run to make the 504 "appear" to have a longer engine as an optical illusion. If you look at both tractors, the later 504's, look alittle "beefier" since you cannot see that spindly long fan hub in front of the block. Someone else on here may know the exact serial break for this mid-run changeover but as I recall, it was around 1964. Absolutely stock in both photos.

Thanks Jeff! Mine must be an early 1964 because mine has the narrow panels. Eason

I bought my first Farmall 504 in 1972. It had a serial number in the 2400 range (early1962 production). It had the wide side panel even though the Op Manual showed the narrorw side panel in the photo on the first page. I asked the dealer about that and he told me IH changed them in late 1962 because a person could easily put their hand in the fan and IH changed them to make it safer. They changed this one when it was was sold new in early 1964. I don't know if IH paid for the sidepanel replacement or if the dealer paid for it. The next two F504's I owned also had wide side panels but they were later units (1964 and 1966).

Hey Eason my 504 is a 1961 model and it has the short side panels . I read that IH changed the panels in 1962 sometime to cover up the huge gap between the engine and the Radiator.

31129_393096889542_750194542_4134218_1287947_n.jpg

Eason if your tractor is a 1964 then it should have the wide panels on it . Unless IH did something different on the diesel models .

learn something new every day on here. i never realized there was a difference. not many new 504s around here in their day.

my 504 is a 1962.

post-72-0-25152900-1331818910_thumb.jpg

I see in the parts listing they don't show a serial break they just indicate if you want to buy one panel you need to buy both. I'd bet if someone would have an original parts book pre all the later updates it might list a serial break or at least show both panels?

Well learned something new! Never knew they had 504's with two diff styles of side panels. The one dad owned had narrow panels and a schwartz wfe.

we had 3 504s at the home farm. the one we bought new in 62 had the short panel serial#3235 or about there. the next one we bought used serial#2817 had the long side panels. the third 504 was a diesel with white motor it was a demenstrator serial#1743 it also had the short panel. so there appears to be no pattern to when they were used .

So yours did have the larger side panels on you 504 (Eason). Do you have a picture of it .

I checked and mine does have the wide panels. Eason

only one person I know of had a 504,(not very popular here) he claimed the tractor was too big to be a small tractor, and too small to be a big tractor.He claimed the only chores it did good at was pulling a corn planter and running the baler.

Both tractors have IH factory stock side panels for a 504 Farmall. The early 504's (pre-1964) had the narrow radiator side panel and you could see the long fan hub and fan blade. The 504 has the same length frame rails as a 460/560 with a six cylinder engine. The 504, being a 4 cylinder engine, has more space between the block and the radiator. Thus the long fan blade hub. IH decided to change that "look" mid production run to make the 504 "appear" to have a longer engine as an optical illusion. If you look at both tractors, the later 504's, look alittle "beefier" since you cannot see that spindly long fan hub in front of the block. Someone else on here may know the exact serial break for this mid-run changeover but as I recall, it was around 1964. Absolutely stock in both photos.

I was thinking they changed the pannels in 62 ?

post-80-0-13593000-1346603541_thumb.jpg

Mine has the wide side panels, 63 model diesel. I always thought the gassers had the short panels and the diesels had the wide panels but I see from the photos posted here that is not always the case.