Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

frank edge

361 cylinder sleeving problems

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have pulled the cylinder sleeves on the 361 in my TD15B and I found some damage to the block in the #6 cylinder wall. See pics

This engine had been overhauled at some point and the damage was most likly done at that time.

The sleeve I removed looked like it was having no problems running with the gouged block cylinder wall behind it.

The bores measured somewhat out of round and the gouges are about .015 deep.

Do you think I can get away with honing for .010 oversize sleeves and leave what remains of the gouges?

Thanks

post-55383-0-22923700-1331483538_thumb.j

post-55383-0-01244300-1331483548_thumb.j

I'm not an expert by any means, but if ya hone it out .010 then that's only .005 on the side with the gouges in it, leaving gouges that are still .010 deep over there. Seems like you might find another sleeve that isn't gouged easier and would be happier with the result.

Fill in with Liquid metal sand smooth install sleeve will last about as long as machine.Just make sure to get all oil out of pits before applying

somebody ran a bead of weld up the side of the sleeve to shrink it so they could pull it, and got a little too hot. I know what caused the problem but not what you do to fix it.