Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Farmall504#20

Whats the Best Tractor IH Ever BUILT ?

This thread is too funny..........

The question was "what is the best IH ever made" not best in it's time. That being said, tractors that have little value in farming practices TODAY are kinda a moot point, I don't care how inovative they were or how many were sold. The best tractor is the one used the longest in regular day to day farming. Heck by 1972 very few farmers were doing the bulk of thier field work with M's or H's.

Tractors won WWI???? Come on, you have to be joking! Most farmers were still looking at the south end of a north bound animal back in that day. Only BTO's could afford a tractor in 1918. Heck draft animals were still being used by many farmers after WWII! My garnd father was threshing with a steam tractor in the mid 30's but plowed and planted behind a horse on a dairy farm in Wi. And buying that steam tractor is what cost him the farm. Right after WWII AC launched an ad aimed at the guys still using horses telling em just how much more productive they would be with a tractor because getting rid of one horse would free up 20 acres currently being used to pasture and feed that horse.

The best tractor IMHO is one that is paid for and has paid for itself.

Well I own a 1206, M and Ford 8N. All are paid for but only the Ford has paid for itself.....in just 2 years. The 1206 is getting close to that paying for itself status but the M I paid 1,000 for 5 years ago still owes me about $950. I think the 1206 will have paid for itself here in another couple of weeks.

Rick

With that, I would have to say my 1991 CIH 7130. Have spent zero dollars on repairs in 21 years other than service expenses and is the most economical to operate in the field. It has more than paid for it's self many times over.

jerry

The question was "what is the best IH ever made" not best in it's time. That being said, tractors that have little value in farming practices TODAY are kinda a moot point, I don't care how inovative they were or how many were sold. The best tractor is the one used the longest in regular day to day farming. Heck by 1972 very few farmers were doing the bulk of thier field work with M's or H's.

Tractors won WWI???? Come on, you have to be joking! Most farmers were still looking at the south end of a north bound animal back in that day. Only BTO's could afford a tractor in 1918. Heck draft animals were still being used by many farmers after WWII! My garnd father was threshing with a steam tractor in the mid 30's but plowed and planted behind a horse on a dairy farm in Wi. And buying that steam tractor is what cost him the farm. Right after WWII AC launched an ad aimed at the guys still using horses telling em just how much more productive they would be with a tractor because getting rid of one horse would free up 20 acres currently being used to pasture and feed that horse.

Well I own a 1206, M and Ford 8N. All are paid for but only the Ford has paid for itself.....in just 2 years. The 1206 is getting close to that paying for itself status but the M I paid 1,000 for 5 years ago still owes me about $950. I think the 1206 will have paid for itself here in another couple of weeks.

Rick

With that, I would have to say my 1991 CIH 7130. Have spent zero dollars on repairs in 21 years other than service expenses and is the most economical to operate in the field. It has more than paid for it's self many times over.

jerry

International sold out in 1985 so a 1991 isn't an International product!

well without reading the other replies and at the risk of offending some on this forum ..in Australia the old english made Fordsons (late 40s to early 60s?) were reliable and cheap ..theres still many around to this day

Rick

jerry

The Magnum IS a INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER design not Case. Case just supplied the styling and outsourced the engine. It was definatly designed at Hinsdale. Eason

The Magnum series has it's roots in IH. Lunsford was through our shop the other day and had nice chat with him about the Magnum development, other than the CDC engine the 7100 series tractor mechanically existed before Tenneco purchased IH Ag.

Lunsford is also a 2+2 advocate, said the full powershift version that Case engineering sneered at was a beast that would have been an awesome tractor for a lot of operations.

I had a 6388, 5088 and a 7110 lined up in my bays, he was thrilled to see them still working.

I know a lot of farmers that re still using the 06, 56 and 86 series tractors. The only guys I know that are still using the H and M's are A. hobby guys just putting up hay or B. using em for beater type spreaders. I know to guys who make thier living farming with an H or an M. One is sued for moving small equipment around the machine shed and the other for spreading manure.

Rick

Rick

jerry

The Magnum IS a INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER design not Case. Case just supplied the styling and outsourced the engine. It was definatly designed at Hinsdale. Eason

Nice one

I vote for the Farmall 806 diesel as the best tractor IH ever built. For the best looking tractor IH ever built I vote for the "Rice Field Special" versions of the 9 (WR-9, WDR-9, SWDR-9. or WR-9S).

Harold H

I have to say the Farmall M because in it's day it dominated the field of three plow tractors used on the big, progressive farms and was "The Standard By Which Others Were Judged".

I have to say the Farmall M because in it's day it dominated the field of three plow tractors used on the big, progressive farms and was "The Standard By Which Others Were Judged".

I agree the M was "THE" tractor for the longest time.

I guess i will be odd man out,i feel the 806- the M,were the best i was around,we had a friend that swore the 856 was nearly b-proof,but they never did catch on round here. Our little 444 other than the brakes was nearly trouble free,it baled 4000 bales of hay per yr.,along with a tobacco crop yearly for 11 yrs. ,needing only one electric fuel pump,an one valve cover gasket,pretty awesome i think for a gas burner,maintence seemed to be the key with this little trac.especially keeping radi.washed out,the fins would seem to clog easily in hay or picking corn if it was dry an dusty.-Jeff

they're all great but I have to go with the M followed closely by the Super C.

it hard to say what the best there are all dam good tractors h - 5488 they all brake down and have problems but i would have to say the old 806d and yes there are the toughiest or say bulliet proof tractor i guess that y we have 3 of them my uncle sold his 1966 806 and bought a 1066 about 5 years ago and after he bought it he said why did i sell that old girl the 806s around here will walk all over any stock 1066 hands down

These 4 tractors were the best IH built in each of their decades (50's,60's,70's,80's) IMO

Of course we would never have to have this discussion if IH would have came out with the Super 70's because they would have been the best tractors IH ever built. Period.

The 806's are tough tractors. But they ain't walking past no 1066 round here. Atleast not no decent runnin stock one

Best IH tractor?

The M has to be right up there, tough long lasting forward thinking design.

The 806 has to be towards the top of the post 60's tractors.

The 1206 as a refined almost perfect 806

And then the 1456 as a very (drivetrain power)refined 1206. Close to the top of the heap IMHO.

The 666 diesel HYDRO when used for the proper job by a qualified operator, nothing came close to these tractors

The 1066 is another one of those classic tractors, phenomenal engine with the 400 series although the transmission is a bit long in the tooth.

I concur with Gonzo.

around here the 806s with turbos with walk over a good running stock 1066 im just sayin no fights now i have seen it

806 with a turbo. Now that's not a fair comparison! Lol

how is it not lol my non turboed 806 in 115 hp with rd pump stock settings and other 806 with turbo roosea master pump is 135 and other 806 with turbo and rd pump maxed out is 168 horse

A 1066 with the screw turned and a 806 w/M+W with the screwed turned, the 1066 will walk it all day long as you are talking 160hp vs 125hp.

Cause the comparison would be stock to stock.

However I still think my screw turned 10 will walk circles around an 806.

I love em both tho

idk smiller my uncle has owned 2 1066s sence he sold his 806 and both the 1066s where healthy one had only 2700 hrs on it and it wouldnt pull as good as the 806 with out a turbo but his roosea master pump had some work done to it he could plow in high 1st with ta ahead pulling 4x18s around afoot deep and only could plow with the 1066 in low 3rd ta ahead same plow same depth and same feilds so idk

idk smiller my uncle has owned 2 1066s sence he sold his 806 and both the 1066s where healthy one had only 2700 hrs on it and it wouldnt pull as good as the 806 with out a turbo but his roosea master pump had some work done to it he could plow in high 1st with ta ahead pulling 4x18s around afoot deep and only could plow with the 1066 in low 3rd ta ahead same plow same depth and same feilds so idk note that the 806 smoked like a plie of tires on fire and there was a 10 inch flame out of the 2 1/2 foot 3 inch straight pipe all night plowing that old hiniker cab was loud inside lol but man u could hear that old girl 3 miles away when it started pulling hard up them clay hills

No 806 will walk over or come close to our 1066. Its set at 210 hp.