Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Farmall504#20

Whats the Best Tractor IH Ever BUILT ?

Gotta agree with 806D and the M

the 50 series was the most advanced tractor IH built. So shouldn't they be the best tractor IH ever built. If a companys latest series of tractors wasn't their best what does that say about the company. I am not bashing IH just asking a question. We have a 5488 and a 806 . The 806 is bullet proof. The 5488 is vey good considering the financial hardships IH was under at the time.

For the small farmer I have to go with the Super C or for a utility tractor a bit newer the B-414

1256 can't beat the sound of that 407 with a straight pipe

The only thing that sounds better than a turboed 407 straight piped would be a N/A 407 with a round "gutted muffler" Eason

I like the 282 with a straight pipe!

The regular gets honorable mention but i have to say the regular M.You can't go 5 miles in the country around here without seeing or passing a farm with an M somewhere on the place. Even diehard John Deere guys had or have an M. The super M was good too but in my opinion the engine was more seceptible to failing than an M motor because of the thinner sleeves to achieve the larger bore. Just my humble .02!

Tony

the original sleeves in a super m were just as thick as the original sleeves in a straight m.

The regular gets honorable mention but i have to say the regular M.You can't go 5 miles in the country around here without seeing or passing a farm with an M somewhere on the place. Even diehard John Deere guys had or have an M. The super M was good too but in my opinion the engine was more seceptible to failing than an M motor because of the thinner sleeves to achieve the larger bore. Just my humble .02!

Tony

the original sleeves in a super m were just as thick as the original sleeves in a straight m.

Really....what the heck measurement was i lookin at then? I swear sometimes my mind is going....at least it won't be a long trip! :blink:

My vote would be a 706 or 806.

1066 or 1466. When weighted properly and ran correctly they were and still are just about unstoppable

Has anybody thought about looking at the frequency of repair records(AKA warranty claims)?

There is a large difference between "best" and "precident setting" the Farmall Regular was THE STEP FORWARD.

As per best engineered for it's time and just "tough'er nails", I would lean toward a 1456.

The Hemi Dart of the tractor world-the 1066,hands down!

Gee if yer compairing a 1066 to a Chrysler product it must have been a terrible tractor!!!!! :o:rolleyes::D:lol: ......Just teasing! I know the 1066 was a good tractor.

I would tend to agree that every new model should have been better than the last.

Rick

OK since the other post I did got so much attention (Whats the worst tractor IH ever made) I figured I'd start another debate . "Whats the Best tractor IH ever made"? I know International made the best tractors in the Industry but in your opinion what tractor stands out as the best of the best . Thanks

The 560 with it's long lasting rear-end!!!

i would have to say the 806 diesel would be the best. me and dad have two and we love them. dads dont have the original engine anymore as it has been repowered with a 466 but still a good tractor.

• DO KNOW IF I COULD MENTION A MODEL BUT I COULD MENTION A OPTION IH MADE FOR CETAIN MODELS. HOW ABOUT THE HYDRO. COSTS WAY TO MUCH TO FIX THEM AND OPERATE.WAY TO MUCH POWER TO OPERATE THEM. MAYBE GOOD FOR LOADER/CHOPPING HAY AND CUTTING HAY THATS IT. LOTS OF MONEY TIED UP JUST FOR THAT. IF U USED THEM FOR MOLDBOARD PLOWING YOU WOULD WRECK THEM. TOO BAD IH DIDNT MAKE/INVENT THE POWER SHIFT LIKE THE GREEN WEENIE DID. JUST MY THOUGHTS. LIKE A 8 OR 9 SPEED. WITHOUT A TA. THAT AND THAT JUNK FAST HITCH STUFF.

Green Weenie DID NOT INVENT THE POWERSHIFT TRANSMISSION IN FARM TRACTORS. A little company called FORD had the first full powershift transmission in a farm tractor. Was ( I think) the 961 built in 1959 a full 4 years before the introduction of JDs PS 4020

I FORGOT ABOUT THE FORD POWERSHIFT. GOOD POINT THERE..

Guest Robert Drummond

I Think it was the SMTA other than the TA maintance it had live power an shift on the fly Reduction Gear What a combination !!

The 806 seems to be at the top .

This is like which which food is best for you. There are lots of good ones. I'm going with the "H". For its time it was quite a forward design and all the others copied the 2 row cultivator scheme. IH made nearly 500,000 units. One author claims the "H" won world war 2 for us by producing so much food. Many or most are still running and they are older than most of the Red Power players. They look good, service easily and drive nicely and sound so good. Ken Ryan

This thread is too funny..........

The question was "what is the best IH ever made" not best in it's time. That being said, tractors that have little value in farming practices TODAY are kinda a moot point, I don't care how inovative they were or how many were sold. The best tractor is the one used the longest in regular day to day farming. Heck by 1972 very few farmers were doing the bulk of thier field work with M's or H's.

Tractors won WWI???? Come on, you have to be joking! Most farmers were still looking at the south end of a north bound animal back in that day. Only BTO's could afford a tractor in 1918. Heck draft animals were still being used by many farmers after WWII! My garnd father was threshing with a steam tractor in the mid 30's but plowed and planted behind a horse on a dairy farm in Wi. And buying that steam tractor is what cost him the farm. Right after WWII AC launched an ad aimed at the guys still using horses telling em just how much more productive they would be with a tractor because getting rid of one horse would free up 20 acres currently being used to pasture and feed that horse.

The best tractor IMHO is one that is paid for and has paid for itself.

Well I own a 1206, M and Ford 8N. All are paid for but only the Ford has paid for itself.....in just 2 years. The 1206 is getting close to that paying for itself status but the M I paid 1,000 for 5 years ago still owes me about $950. I think the 1206 will have paid for itself here in another couple of weeks.

Rick

Holy cow. The thread said the "H" won WW2 not WW1. Enjoyed your and all the responses. This is a great group to exchange with. We get more issues decided than the disfunctional federal government. Ken Ryan

Super M ,856,1456,1086 ,, hard to pick just one ,,also can't count out a 560

This thread is too funny..........

The question was "what is the best IH ever made" not best in it's time. That being said, tractors that have little value in farming practices TODAY are kinda a moot point, I don't care how inovative they were or how many were sold. The best tractor is the one used the longest in regular day to day farming. Heck by 1972 very few farmers were doing the bulk of thier field work with M's or H's.

Tractors won WWI???? Come on, you have to be joking! Most farmers were still looking at the south end of a north bound animal back in that day. Only BTO's could afford a tractor in 1918. Heck draft animals were still being used by many farmers after WWII! My garnd father was threshing with a steam tractor in the mid 30's but plowed and planted behind a horse on a dairy farm in Wi. And buying that steam tractor is what cost him the farm. Right after WWII AC launched an ad aimed at the guys still using horses telling em just how much more productive they would be with a tractor because getting rid of one horse would free up 20 acres currently being used to pasture and feed that horse.

The best tractor IMHO is one that is paid for and has paid for itself.

Well I own a 1206, M and Ford 8N. All are paid for but only the Ford has paid for itself.....in just 2 years. The 1206 is getting close to that paying for itself status but the M I paid 1,000 for 5 years ago still owes me about $950. I think the 1206 will have paid for itself here in another couple of weeks.

Rick

The F20 part is what got me. Actually we bought a lot of beef that was shipped to England for both military consumption and civilian use from Argentina. Yes farming helped win the war but if you care to check production of military hardware and our ability to turn out ships is what won the war. Both Japan and Germany went to full 100% war production and we never even got close to 50%. Yet we produced over 100,000 armored fighting vehicles of all types between 1940 and 1945 plus millions of jeeps and trucks.

Rick