Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Farmall504#20

Whats the Best Tractor IH Ever BUILT ?

Hydros are some of the best tractors still working, all your Combines are hydros today. I still have some that have never been worked on. The only thing wrong with them was the guy on the seat, if you run them hard you have to change the oil and that was a must....

856 My dad literary ran our's WOT for 10,000 hours and still ticking. It did every thing under a load.

Let's see here. Today, my vote goes to my M that I used. It set all winter and with the push of the starter button it started right up and was ready to go. Not to bad for a tractor built in 1940 and still wearing it's work clothes. They all have their pros and cons though. It just depends on what you want to do with them and the terrain you are located on. I really don't have a favorite or one I like the best. They are all keepers.

The best mechanic I ever knew had worked for an IH/Steiger dealer in Larned, KS before he came to BT&I (he left when IH died), and he said that when IH came out with the 88 series, they finally had gotten everything right.

Gotta agree here with this one. If IH would have survived what we know as the Magnum would have looked like an 88 series and had an IH engine in it to boot. I think it ticks all the requirements above on technology, reliability, and durability.

Since the 856 had the improved shifting and the bigger engine why is it not the better tractor than the 806. Tractors were made for different things. The 656 hydro with the German diesel was the best haying tractor. Good for spraying, fertilizing, pulling wagons and cultivating too....James

There are a lot of ways you can look at this question but in our region, the cultivision tractors--in particular the Cub, Super A, and 140, were three of the most popular models IH--or any other company--ever made. Many, many eastern NC tobacco farms ran other makes of machinery, yet they had a cultivision Farmall (or two) for working tobacco.

Al

Since the 856 had the improved shifting and the bigger engine why is it not the better tractor than the 806. Tractors were made for different things. The 656 hydro with the German diesel was the best haying tractor. Good for spraying, fertilizing, pulling wagons and cultivating too....James

James the 656 never came with a german diesel. Only the late hydro 86's came with a german diesel. The 544 and hydro 84 had the 4 cyl german diesel Eason

Most people will say either the tractor they grew up on, for me a SM, or the first they owned, for me an 806D.

I'll probably take a beating for this but here goes....My pick is the 1086, good all around work horse and IMO very reliable.

I would say the best tractor's IH ever made was the FarmalIl / International 140 and Cub. Almost every farm at one time or still has a 140 and Cub parked under the shed. Down here in the Southeast Tobacco "was" the #1 crop and every farmer that had a hand in Tobacco had a 140 or Cub . If you look back at the two most and longest produced tractors IH EVER Built !!!!! You will find the IH 140 and Cub. Does that tell you anything!!!!!!!!!!!!

0305001915-l.jpg

0305001385-l.jpg

Matt and Al I grew up cultivating 45 acres of tobacco with a 140. They were good tractors for their intended purpose but they are one of the hardest riding tractors I have ever rode. With their narrow wheel tread they will beat you to death. They are fun to play with but ride one for 2 to 3 weeks at a time. You WILL have a different opinion. It was a very happy day when we bought a 2 row KMC rolling cultivator with fertilizer attachment and went to plowing 2 rows with a 544. MUCH better ride and didn't wear you out. Eason

Holy cow. That is like a beauty pageant with 20 beautiful girls. Which do you like best. Well I vote for the H,806, 1256, 1066 and several others. Ken Ryan The F-20 opened up US agriculture and won WW11 for us with our ability to grow food.

Matt and Al I grew up cultivating 45 acres of tobacco with a 140. They were good tractors for their intended purpose but they are one of the hardest riding tractors I have ever rode.

I will have to agree--they are pitch-y from side to side. I remember one time as a boy watching Grandaddy maneuver around in the hog pens doing something--probably moving some sows around--it was rough ground and from the back he looked like a pendulum going side to side....

The deluxe seat option helped right much I believe. Lots of Super A's around here had them when they came out on the later tractors.

The old 424 is a pretty rough ride too...at least the Cub/Super A had some sort of seat springs. You are basically riding the hydraulic unit on a 424!

Al

I would have to vote on the Farmall M. They made a lot of them and a lot of them are still in use. A lot of them are still making people money too.

The 1066 is another great tractor. A good, useful size and horsepower. People will be making money with them for a long time to come too.

Both will always be some of the best pulling tractors of all time.

I vote the Farmall Regular,the Farmall M ,806D,1206D the 1066 1086,1486,5088 and a tractor I spenjt alot of time on the 886 with the 358 german diesel. Not a big tractor ,but a good genral size tractor. We plowed,disked,planted,mowed hay baled hay even chopped silage with a green 38 chopper.

Just like the question of the worst trctors, this subject is dependant on the time frame of the tractor in question. At one time, each model was new, better than the model it replaced. Then another refined unit hit the market that antiquated the previous one. That being said, here are my picks: Farmall Regular, Super M, 656 hydro, 856 diesel, 1486, 5488 MFD.

The regular gets honorable mention but i have to say the regular M.You can't go 5 miles in the country around here without seeing or passing a farm with an M somewhere on the place. Even diehard John Deere guys had or have an M. The super M was good too but in my opinion the engine was more seceptible to failing than an M motor because of the thinner sleeves to achieve the larger bore. Just my humble .02!

Tony

to me the IH offset tractor series cub A B super A 100 130 140

not counting the 274 cause its jap scrap

and the Farmall regular F series letter series hundred series all up till 1960

the 60 series kinda screw"ed IH in the end but still a good tractors

id say the best big one the 706 806 1206 1066 1466 hydro 70 100 86

and alot more i cant think of right now haha

I reckon the M

The Hemi Dart of the tractor world-the 1066,hands down!

had a 86 series 1486 nice nice tractor just wish the shifting would of been a little more like the 56-66 series, replaced with 7120, nice cabs on 86 would still like to get a 986, just think there was to much power run thru those rear ends,

WDR9.