Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Farmall504#20

Whats the Best Tractor IH Ever BUILT ?

123 posts in this topic

OK since the other post I did got so much attention (Whats the worst tractor IH ever made) I figured I'd start another debate . "Whats the Best tractor IH ever made"? I know International made the best tractors in the Industry but in your opinion what tractor stands out as the best of the best . Thanks

806 diesel. Toughest engine IH ever built.

I know there is no way to pin point the best one tractor that IH made but in you opinion what is the best as far as( Reliability, technology advancements and all around popularity of the tractor. )

M or 806, probably a tie...........

My dad's 806 was bought in 1971 with 1500 hours. (I would have been 11 years old.) It's had 2 or 3 TA's in it since we've had it. I overhauled the engine at just over 13000 hours, until then it had only had 1 head gasket and the pump and injectors gone through once. The rear end has only been apart for a replacement of the gear the park lock engages. It still has the original ring and pinion gear, and it has well over 16000 hours now. I believe I went through the PTO once and it may have been overhauled several times before I was working on it. I had a friend of mine chopping stalks with it a few years ago and he raised the drawbar up and bent the 540 shaft. :angry: My dad and our neighbor used to do custom silage chopping back in the 70's with it and my neighbor had a 970 Case. They had a 2 row Fox 2000 chopper. If my dad was running the chopper with the 806 and he was behind a hill you just had to look for the smoke trail!

Gotta go with this one.

1206 first IH row crop tractor to break 100hp and have a turbo

M or 806, probably a tie...........

DITO

I don't own one but I heard the 1256 is quite the tractor.

H. Period.

NOT. pretty under powered for their size.

06-56 series were pretty good. like others said. the 361 is one tough engine.

As far a "revolutionary" or technology wise the Regular was a quite an important trend-setter. I would say that or the M. My dad used to work on a farm that ran a Super MTA and he said that was quite the tractor in its day.

• DO KNOW IF I COULD MENTION A MODEL BUT I COULD MENTION A OPTION IH MADE FOR CETAIN MODELS. HOW ABOUT THE HYDRO. COSTS WAY TO MUCH TO FIX THEM AND OPERATE.WAY TO MUCH POWER TO OPERATE THEM. MAYBE GOOD FOR LOADER/CHOPPING HAY AND CUTTING HAY THATS IT. LOTS OF MONEY TIED UP JUST FOR THAT. IF U USED THEM FOR MOLDBOARD PLOWING YOU WOULD WRECK THEM. TOO BAD IH DIDNT MAKE/INVENT THE POWER SHIFT LIKE THE GREEN WEENIE DID. JUST MY THOUGHTS. LIKE A 8 OR 9 SPEED. WITHOUT A TA. THAT AND THAT JUNK FAST HITCH STUFF.

1456, alot of good ones and agree the 806 and 1206 were both right up there, but the 1456 has the same series of motor with the DT407 but has the better shifting of the 56 series and bigger heavier gears in the transmission and finals and bigger axles to handle the extra ponies.

as mentioned in the other thread, the "H" is like the F-12/14 is that it is underpowered and clumsy from today's perspective - but harvester sold a ton of them. they pretty obviously were regarded as a quality machine in their day.

for me, it's either the H/M line or the 806/56. the real tragedy of international is that they couldn't get the 806 on the market before deere got the 10 series out. the wal marts and farm fleets would be full to the rafters of ih toys/gimcracks instead of green stuff.

There are a lot of different ideas on this one.

I personally loved the 856.

Hard pulling, long lasting and just a good piece of iron.

Everyone has their favorite.

The Farmall series was the best designed of all, of that time.

The hand clutches were gone and just a very handy tractor to have around.

IMHO

The best mechanic I ever knew had worked for an IH/Steiger dealer in Larned, KS before he came to BT&I (he left when IH died), and he said that when IH came out with the 88 series, they finally had gotten everything right.

• DO KNOW IF I COULD MENTION A MODEL BUT I COULD MENTION A OPTION IH MADE FOR CETAIN MODELS. HOW ABOUT THE HYDRO. COSTS WAY TO MUCH TO FIX THEM AND OPERATE.WAY TO MUCH POWER TO OPERATE THEM. MAYBE GOOD FOR LOADER/CHOPPING HAY AND CUTTING HAY THATS IT. LOTS OF MONEY TIED UP JUST FOR THAT. IF U USED THEM FOR MOLDBOARD PLOWING YOU WOULD WRECK THEM. TOO BAD IH DIDNT MAKE/INVENT THE POWER SHIFT LIKE THE GREEN WEENIE DID. JUST MY THOUGHTS. LIKE A 8 OR 9 SPEED. WITHOUT A TA. THAT AND THAT JUNK FAST HITCH STUFF.

I wouldn't say you can wreck a hydro by plowing with it. If you continually keep it loaded at 110% it will not like the heat generated. But if you use your knoggin and cut back on the load a bit to keep it reasonable, you will be fine. Because you have infinite speed adjustment, people assume you can bring it up to 100% or more, 100% of the time.  Imagine if you combined 250bpa, with a full tank, and up a steep hill for 10 hours in a row. The combine wouldn't stand up to that either. I have plowed a lot with a hydro 70 and 4-14's, and it pulled it comfortable at 4mph or so, never had a moments issue with it. No machine appreciates tremendous loading constantly. Even large dozers will overheat the trans if you are pushing scrapers constantly. Nobody designs for that kind of loading on a constant basis.

Best IH tractor?

The M has to be right up there, tough long lasting forward thinking design.

The 806 has to be towards the top of the post 60's tractors.

The 1206 as a refined almost perfect 806

And then the 1456 as a very (drivetrain power)refined 1206. Close to the top of the heap IMHO.

The 666 diesel HYDRO when used for the proper job by a qualified operator, nothing came close to these tractors

The 1066 is another one of those classic tractors, phenomenal engine with the 400 series although the transmission is a bit long in the tooth.

Green Weenie DID NOT INVENT THE POWERSHIFT TRANSMISSION IN FARM TRACTORS. A little company called FORD had the first full powershift transmission in a farm tractor. Was ( I think) the 961 built in 1959 a full 4 years before the introduction of JDs PS 4020

Green Weenie DID NOT INVENT THE POWERSHIFT TRANSMISSION IN FARM TRACTORS. A little company called FORD had the first full powershift transmission in a farm tractor. Was ( I think) the 961 built in 1959 a full 4 years before the introduction of JDs PS 4020

Are you referring to the 'Select O Speed' transmission in the Fords?

Yep, 806 diesel is the best ever made, It made the 4020 look like a play toy.

My pick would be M first tractor I drove

1206 first tractor with cab

706 german diesel first tractor I bought and still have

MD7140

M-TA...............Best tractor of the time by far, but unfortunately setup IH for a disaster because of its good sales and good reliablity considing they had issues testing it.